south dakota archery mule deer

As far as the comments about limiting access to "our" public land..... Nobody is keeping you from accessing that land, they are just attempting to curb the amount of deer being harvested in that area; a method that is used in every western state.

Lawnboi

WKR
South Dakota can go shit in their hats. If they want to limits on NR tag allocations, fine go for it. But selling unlimited archery tags with season handicap placed on NRs is bull shit, on all of ours public lands no less.
They are saying we will take all the license money you will give us but get in line for our left overs.

My qualm with SD is not that they are changing things up, but they are doing it late, and yearly. There is no plan. You don’t know what the heck they are doing now till June or July. They are giving in the barrage they are getting by upset residents.

I really like SD but probably won’t hunt it again because of this.

The late start thing is something new. I Don’t get it.

Archery hunting was the only thing going for the NR in SD. Their other tag allocations are terrible and not worth much time.

Iv been to SD a number of times lately. Some hunting, some not. I saw more pressure but did not see the herds where I frequented effected at all. In fact the herd seemed stronger the last few years, recovering from the bad winter they had years ago. They are simply managing by listening to their residents, from what I have seen. If you look at the numbers; NR archery hunters are taking beans compared to all else. That said I haven’t followed much lately, I got frustrated and gave up keeping up with the BS.

I sure would like to hunt SD one day. By the time I do again sounds like your going to have to jump through too many hoops. With things changing constantly I don’t see investing much of my time to hunting there again.

That said. IMO even with the draws, which have very good odds, there is much better hunting in neighboring states. OP Your just too late to the game this year.

IMO SD is simply limiting opportunity to make it better for their residents. Think of it what you will, it’s too bad though. Used to be a good hunt.

I’d much rather see them manage by draw like other states. Rather than just cutting the NR off public land. We don’t all want to spend the money to trespass or for a guide.

I’m just sour as to how and why SD is doing all this. Pressure is rising everywhere, not just out west and I hate to see opportunity lost anywhere. Especially opportunity if the diy public land hunter....

I really like South Dakota. I just hope they get thier act together so that in the future when I want to hunt there, which I do. I can wait in line if I need to, and plan.

Last edited:

TreyPound

FNG
That’s as good of a place as any for DIY hunters. Like all public land you’ll have some completion in droves but the deer won’t all be chased away from the prairie dog hunters, bird dog trainers, grouse hunters and maybe a few archery antelope hunters by then. You’ll run the risk of having an awesome time. You might also try the Ft Pierre National Grasslands and stay at the Ft Pierre Motel. Good luck.

KurtR

WKR
Only good thing is saving you guys from coming here as last winter was way worse than I thought . I have found lots of dead deer out scouting.

I don’t think pressure has ever been bad but I don’t think the otc I have gone to in Idaho are bad and people there think they are over run. Guess it is all perspective.

I didn't find pressure to be bad in two trips to South Dakota last fall but I'm sure it could be.

The late start for nonresidents doesn't bother me at all either. I have no desire to be out in the prairie in September when I can hunt all of Colorado that month.

I also don't mind have to get access permits or apply for certain units.

But I really liked knowing it was an option for a backup plan that I just had to apply in time to get a tag in the mail. The application deadline is really the only part of the new rules that I would rather not have.

I'll probably just plan on a rifle hunt for my next trip.

shockin

FNG
Lurker chiming in....
I'll be disappointed if the Oct. 1st archery season opener is implemented this year as some of us are in a position that we need to put in for vacation 6,7,8 months in advance, my time off has been approved for the last week and a half of Sept. this fall.

Bummed!

Seems like the thread isn't entirely focusing on the gentleman's question, however there has been some good points made. I do agree, even as a nonresident, that SD needed some more legislation, however I do hope they do not all of a sudden make it impossible for an out of state hunter to find success or reasonable ground to hunt.

In regards to some of your questions, I hunted SD last year for my first ever western hunt. Drove out there by myself from Cleveland, Ohio and hunted the first week of the season. I will not say exactly where I focused my time, however I did not venture out to the Northwest part of the state. I would say there is a lot of good ground in the southern and eastern part of the "West River" designated part of the state. In my experience, I would cover as much ground as you can and focus your glassing on the early morning and before dark time period, and during the heat of the day try to look at as much ground as you can. It is easy to get discouraged out in some of the grasslands as everything looks the same, however those deer will hide in all the wrinkles in the topography. There are some really good deer in SD. Just got to go find em! Feel free to drop me a PM.

HoytHntr4

WKR
Will definitely be disappointed if they go to the late start date for NR's. I understand them wanting to reduce some of the archery pressure on the public ground, but why not go to a set number of NR archery tags with a completely random draw, no preference points, and you must apply for by a certain date? I would be fine with only being able to hunt SD hopefully every other year if it allowed for reduced pressure and possibility higher quality deer.

Pezboat

WKR
Yeah, I agree and feel for the “lurker” chiming in. I have had a SD archery hunt planned for this year since about December. I can only make it happen in September. It’s almost July and they still don’t have regulations, dates, or anything publicly posted. I would much rather have a draw than the delayed start date. Instead of sharing the land with other archery hunters, NR’s now how to battle rifle hunters out for pronghorn and even some elk rifle hunters.

slick

WKR
Sidetrack a bit...Question: how do you think this will affect their overall NR archery deer tag sales? (The late start date and all)

KurtR

WKR
In reality deer sales are just a bonus for the state the real money is in pheasants . So I don’t think they really care

Pezboat

WKR
In reality deer sales are just a bonus for the state the real money is in pheasants . So I don’t think they really care

I’ve spoken to a Conservation Officer out there a few times and that was his sentiment exactly. They could care less about deer sales. Which is really too bad because they’ve got tons of public access and solid herd. They could really turn it into a money maker for them.

KurtR

WKR
67232 non resident pheasant hunters came last year. The herd did take a hit last year with winter but nothing will ever compare to the money made off the chinese chickens. would have to sell around 25000 deer license to come close

Pezboat

WKR
67232 non resident pheasant hunters came last year. The herd did take a hit last year with winter but nothing will ever compare to the money made off the chinese chickens. would have to sell around 25000 deer license to come close

I’m not saying they should stop catering to pheasant hunters. They make a ton off that, so no change needed there. I’m just saying why neglect a secondary source of income. SD has (maybe had) a great opportunity to make a substantial amount of money off NR’s. They say the change is because of increased popularity, so why not exploit that? Instead, the policy they’re implementing seems very anti-non-resident which looks like it will hurt sales.

KurtR

WKR
Other than archery when it comes to big game we have pretty much made nr an after thought. There was a big lock out by landowners to get the special buck tag so they can guide. There is a vocal minority here who hate nr we had to have a special resident only pheasant season (cry baby season) they complained the pressure was to much. I don’t agree with making it so hard I like to hunt out of state and don’t mind people coming here to do it. I feel the game commission caters to the whiners way to much here

Lawnboi

WKR
As far as the comments about limiting access to "our" public land..... Nobody is keeping you from accessing that land, they are just attempting to curb the amount of deer being harvested in that area; a method that is used in every western state.

They are simply trying to curb the number of hunters using public land. Plain and simple. That’s just my opinion.

No problem with creating a draw and handing out tags as they are available. But cutting NR hunters off public land, late starts, no plan set till almost July. I’ll spend my time and money elsewhere until they get their crap together. Enou
Other than archery when it comes to big game we have pretty much made nr an after thought. There was a big lock out by landowners to get the special buck tag so they can guide. There is a vocal minority here who hate nr we had to have a special resident only pheasant season (cry baby season) they complained the pressure was to much. I don’t agree with making it so hard I like to hunt out of state and don’t mind people coming here to do it. I feel the game commission caters to the whiners way to much here

I have the same thoughts.

You guys have it pretty good. SD is one state I wouldn’t mind living in.

If you SD boys want to see pressure come this way. 5 trucks on a couple thousand acres may be considered pressure by some but wait till you see 15 guys hunting a 40 like here.

Way off topic. Anyways OP you could always get an antelope archery tag and do that

3darcher2

Lil-Rokslider
When residents who can get 2 or 3 or more buck tags in a state are crying because some NR archers are causing them to not get a 4th or 5th tag every few years, I’m out. NR archers are scapegoats/political pawns. How about one buck tag a year like the rest of the country for residents, or maybe even two?