Staying sharp in the offseason

JW@TRACT

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
As we get into the offseason (barring turkey hunting of course), do you guys continue to shoot and keep your big-game hunting skills in top form? What are some of the things you've found helpful that others could do now to prep for next season?

eric1115

WKR
Ground squirrels and rock chucks, stuff like the Form drill or Kraft drill.

If you haven't done it before, now is an excellent time to do a 20-30 round (multiple sessions if you prefer) group to find the true cone of fire of your rifle.

10 round groups from various positions to track POI difference between shooting positions (bipod/rear bag vs resting on a pack vs shooting sticks vs seated off a tripod vs standing off tripod vs however else you shoot)

Drop test your gear to make sure it's as robust as you think 😬.

Something I'll be doing starting this year is taking at least one precision rifle class in the summer/fall every year. Next year I'll also start doing some NRL22 matches to see how I like them, with the idea of possibly branching out to a centerfire NRL match.

OP
JW@TRACT

JW@TRACT

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
Ground squirrels and rock chucks, stuff like the Form drill or Kraft drill.

If you haven't done it before, now is an excellent time to do a 20-30 round (multiple sessions if you prefer) group to find the true cone of fire of your rifle.

10 round groups from various positions to track POI difference between shooting positions (bipod/rear bag vs resting on a pack vs shooting sticks vs seated off a tripod vs standing off tripod vs however else you shoot)

Drop test your gear to make sure it's as robust as you think 😬.
These are great tips. Thanks!

OP
JW@TRACT

JW@TRACT

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
Something I'll be doing starting this year is taking at least one precision rifle class in the summer/fall every year. Next year I'll also start doing some NRL22 matches to see how I like them, with the idea of possibly branching out to a centerfire NRL match.
Sounds like a great idea. Good luck competing in the future!

TheViking

WKR
physical fitness...shoot 3D archery...try to get to the rifle range at least once per month. I know that's not much for most, but my primary weapon is a bow. Doing a hog hunt in TX in a few weeks...Spring Bear would be a good one, too. I am hoping to do that next year.

OP
JW@TRACT

JW@TRACT

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
physical fitness...shoot 3D archery...try to get to the rifle range at least once per month. I know that's not much for most, but my primary weapon is a bow. Doing a hog hunt in TX in a few weeks...Spring Bear would be a good one, too. I am hoping to do that next year.
Those few things go a long way!

Hnthrdr

WKR
Shoot the bow a bunch, this year I’m going to try and carry my .223 whenever I’m out and shoot coyotes while scouting etc, nothing preps you like a real live target, getting them to stop, dialing or holding over in real environments, plus it will help out the ungulates and turkeys and grouse

OP
JW@TRACT

JW@TRACT

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
Shoot the bow a bunch, this year I’m going to try and carry my .223 whenever I’m out and shoot coyotes while scouting etc, nothing preps you like a real live target, getting them to stop, dialing or holding over in real environments, plus it will help out the ungulates and turkeys and grouse
Great idea!