Stop it. We don't need this anymore.

Ucsdryder

WKR
Can’t people just get real jobs? Hell, the workforce needs you! Pick a trade, any of em, and you’ll easily find good honest work with good pay. I don’t care if you make money or not. I don’t even care if it’s millions. “Producing content” or any some such BS is not a damn job! Get your ass out of your jammies, put down the bong, learn something useful and go make an honest living. That’s what America needs.
But the more hunters, the more we have a voice. The funny thing is, whether we’re 20% or 30% the country has gotten so big that increasing the western hunters isn’t going to allow us to outvote the non-hunters. A perfect example is Colorado. We allow any and every hunter in the US to come here for reasonably priced tags, vs other states, we put millions into the wolf ballot vote and we got outvoted. We’ve done everything that Randy promotes to welcome hunters and it didn’t matter. The truth is, we’re a small minority, adding 100,000 hunters completely changes the actual hunting opportunities, but it’s a drop in the bucket vs the 330 million people in the US now.

The real reason most (I won’t say all) are doing it….money or course. Look at the hush guys. I absolutely can’t stand them, but now I see their videos popping up on YouTube and they’re shed hunting all spring, going everywhere hunting all fall and winter, doing TAC all summer. They’re not doing it so joe blow can go on his first hunt. They’re doing it for themselves, so at least say it how it is.

TheTone

WKR
Can’t people just get real jobs? Hell, the workforce needs you! Pick a trade, any of em, and you’ll easily find good honest work with good pay. I don’t care if you make money or not. I don’t even care if it’s millions. “Producing content” or any some such BS is not a damn job! Get your ass out of your jammies, put down the bong, learn something useful and go make an honest living. That’s what America needs.
Haven’t you heard how hard these influencers work and “grind” to make a living. It’s not easy hunting, editing and dreaming up stuff to post

cnelk

WKR
The reality is, it’s public land. Anyone could go out there and utilize it for any reason, video it, post it on YouTube and potentially make money.

No, not really.

A Special Use Permit issued by the USFS is required to film in Wilderness areas.

Sometimes they are denied

Dirtbag

WKR
I'm in agreeance with a lot of points you have made in this thread, and do believe what a lot of these influencers are doing is hurting the lifestyle, but I disagree with this one. Being able to make a living in different ways is part of the American dream. If you can find a way to make a living without breaking your back, more power to you. I just think they need to be more careful on how they go about doing it.

Tod osier

WKR
I'm in agreeance with a lot of points you have made in this thread, and do believe what a lot of these influencers are doing is hurting the lifestyle, but I disagree with this one. Being able to make a living in different ways is part of the American dream. If you can find a way to make a living without breaking your back, more power to you. I just think they need to be more careful on how they go about doing it.

They (meaning the influencers) have not been forthright about their business model even though it is much more clear now.

TheTone

WKR
They (meaning the influencers) have not been forthright about their business model even though it is much more clear now.
Yep, I’d be curious how big some sponsor contracts really are

It was pretty funny going to any sort of hunting show/expo the year Sitka came out with subalpine camo and seeing everyone of there influencers walking around at all times wearing a subalpine hat, jacket, vest etc

tdhanses

WKR
You are focused on the recipient, many, if not most of us, are focused on the content provider - that is where the problem is. Making money and lining their pockets off our shared resource and as a result decreasing the quality of the experience for everyone. I have absolutely no problem with someone who consumes content or someone who provides non-specific content that doesn't result in financial gain. I've consumed a lot of content over the years, the most specific content that was most useful (to the point of detracting from the quality of the experience due to the specificity making it too easy) has been books in the old days. The reach and allure of those books, however, pales in comparison to youtube.

Somebody like Randy saying that he doesn't make any money (or hardly anything or however he phrases it) off X, Y or Z video drives me nuts. He is providing content to line his pockets at our collective expense. I'm not saying he is lying, I fully believe that video "X" may not be monetized in a way that directly results in jingle in his pocket, but it is part of the package that he offers to his sponsors to further pimp their product - all based on using public land for personal gain. I have no doubt that he is a great guy, cares a ton about all kinds of important stuff, but it is disingenuous as hell for him to pretend that he isn't a businessman making money off our public lands.
Well it’s hard to make money when you have to pay so many employees, he makes money but maybe not a huge profit at the end of the day. Plus add in all his camera equipment expenses, doubt they pay for any gear anymore. Oh he did buy a Ford Raptor for his hunting rig, that’s a line item expense, don’t forget the llamas.

He can say he doesn’t make a dime because he’s constantly spending it.

Well it’s hard to make money when you have to pay so many employees, he makes money but maybe not a huge profit at the end of the day. Plus add in all his camera equipment expenses, doubt they pay for any gear anymore. Oh he did buy a Ford Raptor for his hunting rig, that’s a line item expense, don’t forget the llamas.

He can say he doesn’t make a dime because he’s constantly spending it.

Barely getting buy in my 75k pickup.

Reactions: OMB
I am 34 and am hunting for the first time this year and have been looking into this thread. Here is my perspective. First the only public figure hunter I have heard of until I decided I wanted to get into hunting is Joe Rogan and even then his Elk Hunting has kind of become a meme. I had no idea who Randy Newberg, Remi Warren or Cam Hanes or any of those guys were until after I stared looking up videos.

My Brother in Law has been elk hunting for his whole life and we decided to bow hunt together this fall. Since then I have been watching a bunch of GoHunt and Remi Warren videos and it has helped a lot in seeing what hunting looked like and some of the general strategy. I am fully aware they are edited and you need to read between the lines but at least you get an idea for what to do and look for instead of just wandering around the woods. Rokslide posts help out a lot but even that does not compare with actually seeing people hunt. I like how they show the process and even failed hunts instead of some youtube videos that are 5 min of: Park, shoot, high five and stuff like that.

Yes they are sponsored which is obvious when the company logo appears on the opening credits screen but that is how marketing works today just like every other sport or activity. Id rather have a company sponsor someone who is actually out in the woods dragging a camera around than a bunch of Sitka promo videos on loop at Scheels to show how 'badass' hunting is to the average Joe who is there for bowling and the Ferris Wheel.

Anyway, that is my .02. I dont think these media creators are getting more people into hunting. Its inspiring those who already chose to get into hunting. I get the other side as well, I am a CO resident and the numbers issue is pretty glaring- especially watching the Unit 80 Elk Archery draw numbers with 1700 Non Res tags vs 880 Res tags issued. The total number of hunters is decreasing across the US so those who still hunt are now heading west because OnX etc makes it accessible. Its kind of like traffic, we all complain about it but we are all part of it at the same time.

OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR
I hea
I hear ya on the American dream! And I support capitalism ardently, but the American dream was also built on the backs of plumbers, carpenters, welders, bricklayers, iron workers, linemen, roofers, etc. And those are in very short supply right now with an aging population of tradesmen. We need some youthful reinvigoration in the trades. But unfortunately, many kids these days dont want to work and look up to internet jackasses as “professional role models”.

My kid’s middle school class did a poll on “what do you want to be when you grow up“. An alarming percentage was Influencer/YouTuber. That’s sad. And scary!

What’s a “real” job??

You can’t make some people happy. These people could be living on welfare and food stamps and sucking off the government tit.

Instead, they figured out how to make money doing something that they liked. They make money, pay taxes and provide for their families.

woods89

WKR
I hea

I hear ya on the American dream! And I support capitalism ardently, but the American dream was also built on the backs of plumbers, carpenters, welders, bricklayers, iron workers, linemen, roofers, etc. And those are in very short supply right now with an aging population of tradesmen. We need some youthful reinvigoration in the trades. But unfortunately, many kids these days dont want to work and look up to internet jackasses as “professional role models”.

My kid’s middle school class did a poll on “what do you want to be when you grow up“. An alarming percentage was Influencer/YouTuber. That’s sad. And scary!
This is my pet topic, ha ha.

Right now in my area any housing related trades are stretched to capacity. Huge numbers of current tradesmen are in their 50s or 60s. We are going to be in for some interesting times in 10 years or so, and I can't imagine that there isn't going to be a significant deterioration in current housing stock, as well as extremely high costs for new housing. I've wondered how high wages will have to get before parents are going to start telling their kids "listen, I know you want to be a youtuber, but you really need to do something productive with your life". I don't think that's happening yet. The mindset towards trades work has been negative for so long in a lot of parents minds that change is probably going to take awhile.
I personally think trying to monetize your hobbies is extremely unwise if you want to continue to enjoy them. But I'm a rather independent sort and don't want anyone telling me what kind of gear to use

you're about 25K too high if you're referring to Newbergs truck
If you can get a Ford raptor for $50,000 you need to go buy 20 to 30 of them. You will make bank, If anything current market value is about 3 to 5k over that. F-150 xlt are 55k

Last edited:
Reactions: OMB
This is my pet topic, ha ha.

Right now in my area any housing related trades are stretched to capacity. Huge numbers of current tradesmen are in their 50s or 60s. We are going to be in for some interesting times in 10 years or so, and I can't imagine that there isn't going to be a significant deterioration in current housing stock, as well as extremely high costs for new housing. I've wondered how high wages will have to get before parents are going to start telling their kids "listen, I know you want to be a youtuber, but you really need to do something productive with your life". I don't think that's happening yet. The mindset towards trades work has been negative for so long in a lot of parents minds that change is probably going to take awhile.
I personally think trying to monetize your hobbies is extremely unwise if you want to continue to enjoy them. But I'm a rather independent sort and don't want anyone telling me what kind of gear to use

I think a big part of it is the for profit University system that cons 18 year olds into mass amounts of student debt for worthless degrees. They have also pushed the cultural stigma against the trades when in reality a lot of guys are making a ton of money in commercial electrical install etc. The other problem is kids see the huge wealth the top .1% of Youtubers make and think they can have that too if they make some content without realizing the hundreds of thousands of others doing the same thing that fail. Its like I say, "The problem with living your dream is you dont get to wake up if it becomes a nightmare."

woods89

WKR
I think a big part of it is the for profit University system that cons 18 year olds into mass amounts of student debt for worthless degrees. They have also pushed the cultural stigma against the trades when in reality a lot of guys are making a ton of money in commercial electrical install etc. The other problem is kids see the huge wealth the top .1% of Youtubers make and think they can have that too if they make some content without realizing the hundreds of thousands of others doing the same thing that fail. Its like I say, "The problem with living your dream is you dont get to wake up if it becomes a nightmare."
I completely agree.