Sucessful Washington Elk hunters...

Jason277

WKR
Hello everyone, I have pretty much made most of my posts on this forum about Blacktail in Wa. I have been hunting for a total of 3 years this season coming up will be my fourth. I have had 2 very successful years with blacktail in Wa but I have been striking out pretty badly in the elk department. I hunt archery westside. I'm curious who has had success in Wa for elk , East or West? What season modern, muzzle, archery?

Hello everyone, I have pretty much made most of my posts on this forum about Blacktail in Wa. I have been hunting for a total of 3 years this season coming up will be my fourth. I have had 2 very successful years with blacktail in Wa but I have been striking out pretty badly in the elk department. I hunt archery westside. I'm curious who has had success in Wa for elk , East or West? What season modern, muzzle, archery?

Me and my buddies hunt archery west side, which we’ve been doing the last five years. We’ve been about 75% success the last 4 years. Before we had only hunted east side elk muzzy, we were about 50%, but that was over 10 years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aginor

Lil-Rokslider
I hunted elk in 530 and 506 last year during rifle season. Man, hunting that rainforest is tough stuff. I got a blacktail during the High Buck, but in ten straight days of hunting elk I saw around 40 cows and spikes, but no legal bull. I’ve also never been wetter in my entire life. I’ve even traversed Denali for a week long backpacking trip and wasn’t as wet as this. Where do you live?

Wrench

WKR
I've killed a pile of them. One west side, 20 some east. Rifle and archery. What you need to know is that the hunt sucks for the experience. Expect elk to be chased by everyone, all the time and shooting elk with their tongue dragging is more common than not. Elk are vocal for about 30 seconds after cows are dripping and rarely more than that.

As a hunt, unless you can draw a tag (I've been trying since the early 90's with no luck) or hunt private land your odds are not very favorable.

Years ago, some of the timber companies would let you use their access roads for a reasonable fee, now its getting out of hand from what Ive seen (if they even still allow it at all). I would use those with a mountain bike and repurposed trailer and had success for years by getting as far away from the main access points as I could. It has been about 8 years since I've hunted elk in WA so I don't know whats been happening recently. Also be aware that hoof rot has been getting way worse on the west side according to my buddy at the WDFW

Eastern elk. All archery. Since my units stopped OTC cow hunts I have been going out of state. Spike only for archery sucks and I say that after killing 2 spikes in WA.

Here is my best bull from WA.

731ef3eafd505c95372169dbbf45109a.jpg

Eastern elk. All archery. Since my units stopped OTC cow hunts I have been going out of state. Spike only for archery sucks and I say that after killing 2 spikes in WA.

Here is my best bull from WA.

731ef3eafd505c95372169dbbf45109a.jpg

Nice bull! I would mirror what dreamingbig said as far as hunting out of state. I try to do one hunt out of state every year. The last year was WY, and before that it had been OR and before that ID. I know everyone is different but if you have the time and means it’s worth looking into. WA is my fallback.

OP
Jason277

Jason277

WKR
I hunted elk in 530 and 506 last year during rifle season. Man, hunting that rainforest is tough stuff. I got a blacktail during the High Buck, but in ten straight days of hunting elk I saw around 40 cows and spikes, but no legal bull. I’ve also never been wetter in my entire life. I’ve even traversed Denali for a week long backpacking trip and wasn’t as wet as this. Where do you live?

Issaquah Wa

HoytHunter24

Lil-Rokslider
I have been hunting West side archery for the last 4 years now. I think the archery or muzzy seasons are the only ones worth hunting on the West side due to the rut timing. the only way to find these elk are by hearing them. It is tough but i recommend finding an area that has a decent amount of sign in the off season. Trails, old rubs, wallows. There is food and water everywhere on the west side so it is hard to use those types of tactics. I get out several times in the off season and hike around my area. I have cameras set up all year in different locations. I don't ever run in to many elk during those times but i catch them coming through on the cameras. During the hunting season i end up finding enough bulls to keep myself entertained daily in those same areas. Learn to call, and try not to sound like a perfect elk or like everyone else. these elk are vocal if you are in the right areas and talking the right language.

Here is my bull from this last year.
Elk1 - Resized.jpg

OP
Jason277

Jason277

WKR
I have been hunting West side archery for the last 4 years now. I think the archery or muzzy seasons are the only ones worth hunting on the West side due to the rut timing. the only way to find these elk are by hearing them. It is tough but i recommend finding an area that has a decent amount of sign in the off season. Trails, old rubs, wallows. There is food and water everywhere on the west side so it is hard to use those types of tactics. I get out several times in the off season and hike around my area. I have cameras set up all year in different locations. I don't ever run in to many elk during those times but i catch them coming through on the cameras. During the hunting season i end up finding enough bulls to keep myself entertained daily in those same areas. Learn to call, and try not to sound like a perfect elk or like everyone else. these elk are vocal if you are in the right areas and talking the right language.

View attachment 279273
Awesome job man!! pm inbound

Ttodler21

FNG
Where’s the least busy area for elk? Hunter the wenaha last year but the general spike tag is rediculous!!

Aginor

Lil-Rokslider
Where’s the least busy area for elk? Hunter the wenaha last year but the general spike tag is rediculous!!

You can find that out on WDFW’s website. Look for the prospects page of whichever region you’re thinking of and inside it they should have hunter densities

A.Grift

FNG
I'm moving to Washington in July, hunting westside archery elk this year. It will only be my second year hunting elk (Idaho panhandle last year). I will be keeping an eye on this thread. Let me know if anybody needs someone to hunt with!

I'm moving to Washington in July, hunting westside archery elk this year. It will only be my second year hunting elk (Idaho panhandle last year). I will be keeping an eye on this thread. Let me know if anybody needs someone to hunt with!

Do you really have too? I have been stuck here for 42 years and hunt 90% out of state now. Seriously reconsider if you can!

Ttodler21

FNG
I’m originally from Montana but regretfully moves here 2 Years ago. Ugh. Ha but hey caught some nice walleye while I’ve been here !

A.Grift

FNG
Do you really have too? I have been stuck here for 42 years and hunt 90% out of state now. Seriously reconsider if you can!

Well right now I am in New England, so even if it is just all out-of-state hunts when I get there at least I can cut down on my drive time!

Ifunk

FNG

View attachment 279273
Beautiful bull! Did you get him in the early season? Looks like it. I only went out a couple days in 460 on the second weekend after all the smoke got washed away, but wasn't as lucky.

I’ve had some luck hunting west side modern firearm. Everyone wants to glass big clearcuts and opposing ridges with their new carbon barreled, hubble telescoped, VLD loaded rifles. A guy who is willing to get into the timber on established travel routes has a chance to have elk pushed to them. It’s not a glorious cross-canyon shot with vapor trails and all.