Sucessful Washington Elk hunters...

I have a good friend in Bellingham that I’ve been hoping would get more into archery elk hunting just so I have someone to hunt with when I decide I want to go over and try for a rosey.

Not much area to hunt rosies around bham, unless you draw a quality tag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hawkeye29

Lil-Rokslider
Well I goosed out on elk this season. Called in a spike to 20yds but he was hard quartering to and I had my recurve. Smelled my ground scent and was gone! And then of course a few days after the early season ended I had a cow sniffing my climbing sticks… learned a lot but didn’t get it done. Maybe next year!

Attachments

• 2D229E03-DFD7-4382-A250-2E1BD7E1A027.png
    2D229E03-DFD7-4382-A250-2E1BD7E1A027.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 90
OP
Jason277

Jason277

WKR
Well I goosed out on elk this season. Called in a spike to 20yds but he was hard quartering to and I had my recurve. Smelled my ground scent and was gone! And then of course a few days after the early season ended I had a cow sniffing my climbing sticks… learned a lot but didn’t get it done. Maybe next year!
Nice looks like you are rocking the saddle ?

Hawkeye29

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah, it honestly opens up a bunch more opportunities than a traditional climber where I am at. Plus it’s way more comfortable too.

Ono

FNG
Yeah, it honestly opens up a bunch more opportunities than a traditional climber where I am at. Plus it’s way more comfortable too.
Can you nap in the saddle? Just curious. Been known to snooze in the climber. (Secured and all that)

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Hawkeye29

Lil-Rokslider
Can you nap in the saddle? Just curious. Been known to snooze in the climber. (Secured and all that)

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Yes for sure.. one day back in august I spent 10 hours in the saddle. I was convinced that a black bear was coming through at some point since there was plenty of fresh sh%t everyday. I guess he came through at night.. or while I was snoozing haha

Pigdog

Lil-Rokslider
I used to hunt western WA. I’d have a bunch of encounters during early archery but never killed anything until late archery season. I’d kill a cow almost every year still hunting. I moved to Oregon and decided to focus on the mountains. It took me six years to figure it out and kill an elk. When I hunted the coast in WA I’d have some seasons where I’d see over a hundred elk within 100yds. In the cascades I feel like I’m lucky to see a dozen at any distance, but like I said, I’m still figuring it out.

Hawkeye29

Lil-Rokslider
I used to hunt western WA. I’d have a bunch of encounters during early archery but never killed anything until late archery season. I’d kill a cow almost every year still hunting. I moved to Oregon and decided to focus on the mountains. It took me six years to figure it out and kill an elk. When I hunted the coast in WA I’d have some seasons where I’d see over a hundred elk within 100yds. In the cascades I feel like I’m lucky to see a dozen at any distance, but like I said, I’m still figuring it out.
Did you use bino’s when you still hunted?

Pigdog

Lil-Rokslider
Did you use bino’s when you still hunted?
Yes. Absolutely. Hunting the coastal jungle it’d be easy to think you don’t need them, but they really come in handy. I’ve used them to spot elk bedded down on the fringe of a clear cut, which can be tough when the ferns and salal are four feet tall. They also come in handy when walking through the thick stuff. I’ve been as close as 50yds to elk and had to use my binoculars to identify that, yes, that little patch of tan I can see through the brush is an elk.

Hawkeye29

Lil-Rokslider
Yes. Absolutely. Hunting the coastal jungle it’d be easy to think you don’t need them, but they really come in handy. I’ve used them to spot elk bedded down on the fringe of a clear cut, which can be tough when the ferns and salal are four feet tall. They also come in handy when walking through the thick stuff. I’ve been as close as 50yds to elk and had to use my binoculars to identify that, yes, that little patch of tan I can see through the brush is an elk.
That’s where I messed up this year.. it always seemed to be climbing over or under something causing too much movement and blowing them out. I’ll definitely try bino’s and moving way slower over obstacles next year

What is the best GMU for archery elk in Wa? 2022 will be my first year hunting with a bow, anything helps!
The only suggestions anyones going to offer are gonna be “not the GMU I hunt in”.

Honestly, you’d do well to pick a unit with a high harvest percentage and just go with it. There’s gonna be people hunting no matter if you’re hunting NE or if you pick SW, may as well pick a unit with good numbers of elk.

A spike tag? Sure western Washington is 3pt or better but our OTC hunts aren’t anything to write home about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Jason277

Jason277

WKR
So I drew a multi-season tag this year. Has anyone else gotten a Multi-season elk tag before?