Swaro NL pures or ELs

Anyone try the 8.5 ELs and compared them to the 8 NL? I’m debating if I make the jump.

If you want to know buy a pair and compare them. Lots of retailers offer free shipping and long return windows. If your anything like me nothing said on here is going to set your mind at ease, you’ll just need to compare them yourself

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I compared them and you will not see $1000 difference.

FOV is all I’d really gain is what I understand.

If you want to know buy a pair and compare them. Lots of retailers offer free shipping and long return windows. If your anything like me nothing said on here is going to set your mind at ease, you’ll just need to compare them yourself

That’s dangerous 😂

kaboku68

WKR
It is always what works best for your individual eyes. You might like Nikon HGs or Meopta Meostars better than either discussed. The NLs are a special bird- there is some learning involved in their use. I see many that prefer the ELs or SLCs by a large margin, however, people who actually set them properly or focus and eye cup distance find a completely surreal experience. I do not have 8.5 ELs but I do have 10ELs, Razor 10X50s, Razor 12X 50 UHD, Razor 18X56 UHDs, 10SLC hds, Zeiss Victory FLs10X42, 8X30 Zeiss Conquest HDs, and 8X42 NLs. I prefer the NLs.

OP
D

deadwolf

WKR
It is always what works best for your individual eyes. You might like Nikon HGs or Meopta Meostars better than either discussed. The NLs are a special bird- there is some learning involved in their use. I see many that prefer the ELs or SLCs by a large margin, however, people who actually set them properly or focus and eye cup distance find a completely surreal experience. I do not have 8.5 ELs but I do have 10ELs, Razor 10X50s, Razor 12X 50 UHD, Razor 18X56 UHDs, 10SLC hds, Zeiss Victory FLs10X42, 8X30 Zeiss Conquest HDs, and 8X42 NLs. I prefer the NLs.

That is a pile of binoculars! How do you pick which ones to take?! The others must get jealous!

JakeSCH

WKR
I currently have a set of EL's 8.5x42's (2015) and NL's 10x42's and running both of them quite a bit around my house. I will say it feels strange (in a very good way) having the same FOV with 1.5x more power...on a tripod NL hands down.

That said, when I get a headrest delivered I am really curious how much it can improve my hand holding of 10x...

Also I would say that they are similar brightness as the sun goes down. I have taken both of them to 30 minutes past sunset on multiple occasions and could not really tell a difference between which one was brighter or not.

I was also running EL 10x42 that I sold a couple weeks back, they were not as bright as the other two 30 minutes past sunset. During the day, only real perceivable difference was FOV between EL & NL. I did not do any resolution charts, just looking at hillsides at 100 yards, 1200 yards, a couples miles, and the ocean at 20 miles.

JakeSCH

WKR
I would add...if you budget allows for NL's go for it, however if that is a real stretch a pair of used EL's on here is a solid way to go.

antlerz

Lil-Rokslider
Fitting NL eyecups to the ELS are also nice tuneup for the EL. Solid info here now the NL have been out for a while and proper comparisons have been done.

Last edited:

eltaco

WKR
I’ve tested EL 8.5, EL 10x50, NL 8, and NL 10x. I also tested alongside Zeiss SF and Leica Noctivid. I was coming from EL 10x50, which I previously chose primarily due to FOV and really appreciating the differences in 10x for my use as compared to 8x or 12x. The 10x50 really didn’t show any appreciable difference in low light performance for me, which actually surprised me. You’ll use any of these binos a 20-40mins after legal shooting light depending on moon conditions in my terrain.

The FOV, however, is very noticeable and the reason if strongly prefer the NL over EL variants. Essentially, the 10x NL get the same FOV of 8.5X EL but with greater magnification. They actually give me greater FOV than my 50mm, but in a much smaller and lighter package. Huge benefit, IMO

Last is ergonomics. Again a massive change for me, personally. The eyecups are far superior and the handheld is more comfortable.

Cost is an issue, for certain... but if your goal is to pick a pair of binos that you don’t want to believe could be bested by another option on the market, I’m heavily in favor of a NL purchase based on my testing.

Aginor

Lil-Rokslider
I currently have a set of EL's 8.5x42's (2015) and NL's 10x42's and running both of them quite a bit around my house. I will say it feels strange (in a very good way) having the same FOV with 1.5x more power...on a tripod NL hands down.

That said, when I get a headrest delivered I am really curious how much it can improve my hand holding of 10x...

Also I would say that they are similar brightness as the sun goes down. I have taken both of them to 30 minutes past sunset on multiple occasions and could not really tell a difference between which one was brighter or not.

I was also running EL 10x42 that I sold a couple weeks back, they were not as bright as the other two 30 minutes past sunset. During the day, only real perceivable difference was FOV between EL & NL. I did not do any resolution charts, just looking at hillsides at 100 yards, 1200 yards, a couples miles, and the ocean at 20 miles.

I have the NL Pure 12’s and have no issue holding them steady without a tripod. I’m surprised you’re having problems with 10’s.

Wrench

WKR
I suggest getting eyes on them. I was hell bent on the Swarovski and came home with the leica....I preferred the warm tones.

Everyone sees a little different.

OP
D

deadwolf

WKR
Fitting NL eyecups to the ELS are also nice tuneup for the EL. Solid info here now the NL have been out for a while and proper comparisons have been done.

What’s different in the eye cups? I know there is more adjustment in the NLs, but also saw a review that listed the extra adjustment as more of a hinderance than selling point.

handwerk

WKR
That was my experience with the NL's. I have the 8.5x42 EL SV's and prefer the eyecups to the NL's. For me the NL's had too many positions and I seemed to fight getting them even, plus in my case eye placement seemed more critical than the EL's. At one time I had the SLC's 10x42 , EL 8.5x42, NL10x42 and Geovids together for many days/evenings of comparing and boy there just wasn't a huge difference to my eyes.
All the Swaros had a decent focus but I still like the Geovid's slow, buttery smooth best.
Here is a picture of them without my EL's present. Now I am down to just the 8.5x42's and my much loved Geovids.
P1010718 (1).JPG

ctwert24

FNG
I just picked up a pair of 12x50 EL’s. Absolutely amazing off of the tripod and not too bad to hand hold using two hands. Can be a bit shaky when only using one hand though. Been using 10s and 15s for years and pumped to see how it works out this year. Between the EL’s and the NL’s I don’t really think you can pick the wrong one, both will blow you away with their quality. Great is great! Best of luck on your decision.

OP
D

deadwolf

WKR
I just picked up a pair of 12x50 EL’s. Absolutely amazing off of the tripod and not too bad to hand hold using two hands. Can be a bit shaky when only using one hand though. Been using 10s and 15s for years and pumped to see how it works out this year. Between the EL’s and the NL’s I don’t really think you can pick the wrong one, both will blow you away with their quality. Great is great! Best of luck on your decision.

I went with the 10x42 ELs, tracking shows them arriving tomorrow. Gotta thank S and S Archery for chatting with me about what I need vs want and providing really good insight into both the NLs and ELs. I had my heart set on one of the two, not that the Leicas wouldn’t be great, but the geovids I tried just seemed clunky and not ergonomic to me. I’ll post up later with my thoughts.

antlerz

Lil-Rokslider
What’s different in the eye cups? I know there is more adjustment in the NLs, but also saw a review that listed the extra adjustment as more of a hinderance than selling point.

NL eyecup is slightly larger diameter on the eyepiece. When used on an EL they give you an even easier view with full FOV at even more eye relief. The Black edge outside of the fieldstop becomes thinner and the view more immersive. Just so easy to get behind.

Last edited:

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
I went with the 10x42 ELs, tracking shows them arriving tomorrow. Gotta thank S and S Archery for chatting with me about what I need vs want and providing really good insight into both the NLs and ELs. I had my heart set on one of the two, not that the Leicas wouldn’t be great, but the geovids I tried just seemed clunky and not ergonomic to me. I’ll post up later with my thoughts.

I’d love to hear what S&S said to sway you Tito the ELs and how any bino could be more ergonomic than the NLs? My ELs felt like a brick when I handled them after my NLs. Did you try the Geovid HD-B or the old square ones?

OP
D

deadwolf

WKR
I’d love to hear what S&S said to sway you Tito the ELs and how any bino could be more ergonomic than the NLs? My ELs felt like a brick when I handled them after my NLs. Did you try the Geovid HD-B or the old square ones?

I haven’t held any NLs in hand, I bet they are very ergonomic, especially given the reviews I’ve watched and read. S&S didn’t try to sway me one way or the other, but provided good insight that the ELs are fantastic binos, ergonomic, and up until the NLs came out, the ELs were at the top of the heap. For me it came down to almost $1000 more for the NLs, as well as being on a waitlist for NLs and possibly, though not likely, not having them in time for my sheep hunt this year.

I have to say, if I was gonna spend NL money, the 10x32 now looks like a very solid option! 8oz lighter than the 42, almost identical FOV with only -3’ as well as very close light transmission. Those 32s look awesome!

I’ve tried a 10+ year old pair of Leicas that a buddy had, the very blocky ones, absolutely hated those. The new Geovids are MUCH better but still feel clunky and heavy to me. Can’t dispute that they are very very good though.