Synthetic or down?

Alpineelk

Lil-Rokslider
Just want some thoughts on this I have a badlands synthetic bag which I like but get sick of packing it around at something like 4.8 pounds would love to save some easy weight with a down bag but not sure about the whole getting it wet thing cause last season it rained several days I was out and not sure how that would work under a tarp mabey need a bivy?? Or wat u guys doin

CiK01

WKR
WM makes their bags with gore-tex outers if a bivy isn't a path you want to go.

I have a down bag and a down quilt. Nothing wrong with them. I plan on having a synthetic some day for "can't keep sh!t dry" kind of situations.

Last edited:
Treated down quilt, pad, and UL wt. bivy is pretty much all I use these days. Quilt weighs between 14 and 27 oz. depending on whether it’s a 35°, 20°, 10°, or 0°, and the bivy weighs 4 oz. I spent a fair amount of time in some pretty wet conditions without any issues. Just make sure that you prepare for a wet environment and do what it takes to keep your sleeping gear dry. Dry bags are a must and adequate ventilation under/through your tarp is key. I’ve found that the treated down works very effectively at allowing moisture to escape from wet clothing (even when you crawl into it with your wet clothes on), through the down, and out. Again, ventilation is key, but when done correctly, it works very well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

tdot

WKR
Down is awesome, if cared for properly. The shorter the trip, the more mistakes you can make. The treated down makes it even easier to care for it properly.

The new synthetic (Apex) is definitely approaching down, in terms of weight and packability. While Down still wins, the difference isnt what it used to be. I have an older synthetic (approx 20 years) that I recently put on a scale. Just under 5lbs and I froze my arse off in anything less then freezing.

Now I have an Apex quilt that is within a few ounces of my equivalent down quilt.

While I have a pretty specific sleep system that utilizes both down and Apex, I'm starting to think it matters less and less, unless you are really trying to save weight or volume in your pack, or are always below say 25f. Then I would lean towards down. But if you are above freezing, often wet, and arent concerned about only a few extra ounces, then it's pretty hard to beat Apex.

I also wouldnt touch anything below 800 down. Any of the 650 and 700 fill down bags that I've ever seen I would always take an Apex equivalent.

Beendare

WKR
800 fill down is hard to beat.

Whatever you do don't go with goretex outer shell on a bag.....big problem with interior condensation. Some in depth experiences on Backpacking light about that...or ask Aron at Kifaru....I tried to warn him.

Broo

FNG
I've wanted to try the new Kuiu bags for a while. Maybe look at those. I think they are synthetic.

tdot

WKR
I've wanted to try the new Kuiu bags for a while. Maybe look at those. I think they are synthetic.

Kuiu are treated down.

I like Kuiu clothing, but I have a hard time justifying the price of their bags. It seems there are other options which are arguably better spec'd or atleast equivalent, for cheaper.

Treated down quilt, pad, and UL wt. bivy is pretty much all I use these days. Quilt weighs between 14 and 24 oz. depending on whether it’s a 35°, 20°, 10°, or 0°, and the bivy weighs 4 oz. I spent a fair amount of time in some pretty wet conditions without any issues. Just make sure that you prepare for a wet environment and do what it takes to keep your sleeping gear dry. Dry bags are a must and adequate ventilation under/through your tarp is key. I’ve found that the treated down works very effectively at allowing moisture to escape from wet clothing (even when you crawl into it with your wet clothes on), through the down, and out. Again, ventilation is key, but when done correctly, it works very well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What bivy are you running

Jimss

WKR
Dry bags definitely help. I do everything in my power to prevent my bag from getting wet. Once down is wet in humid situations you are screwed!

Taube94

FNG
I’ve never had a synthetic but a friend said if you were taking horses in then they are the way to go if you’re walking then take a down

Broo

FNG
If you are going somewhere that rains a lot go synthetic. In you are going somewhere dry or cold where it snows in the winter use down. I would use a goretex bivvy bag either way.