Talk me out of 300 WSM

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
I'd be strictly hand loading, most likely

You are putting the cart, way in front of the horse.

1st- 7mm-08 is capable way beyond 500 yards.

2nd- you are deliberately choosing sub par projectiles for incorrect reasons.

3rd- A 1-11” twist has no problems stabilizing a 168gr TTSX if you are stuck on using it, nor does it have a problem stabilizing 200-210gr high BC bullets at negative density altitudes either. That’s not a guess.

It would be hard to find someone that has shot more animals with 300 mags (including the WSM and Barnes cited) than I, but that juice isn’t worth the squeeze in todays world.
What you are “gaining” with a 300wsm and the 168gr Barnes over the 7mm-08 combined with good bullets; is more recoil, more powder consumed, more wind drift, more expense, less impact velocity, smaller wound channels, and lower hit rates. A lowely 6.5 creedmoor using 147gr ELD-M’s has the same impact velocity at 500 yards as the WSM/TTSX combo, but 1/3rd less wind drift, 40% less powder consumed, and 40% less recoil.

KenLee

WKR
You are putting the cart, way in front of the horse.

1st- 7mm-08 is capable way beyond 500 yards.

2nd- you are deliberately choosing sub par projectiles for incorrect reasons.

3rd- A 1-11” twist has no problems stabilizing a 168gr TTSX if you are stuck on using it, nor does it have a problem stabilizing 200-210gr high BC bullets at negative density altitudes either. That’s not a guess.

It would be hard to find someone that has shot more animals with 300 mags (including the WSM and Barnes cited) than I, but that juice isn’t worth the squeeze in todays world.
What you are “gaining” with a 300wsm and the 168gr Barnes over the 7mm-08 combined with good bullets; is more recoil, more powder consumed, more wind drift, more expense, less impact velocity, smaller wound channels, and lower hit rates. A lowely 6.5 creedmoor using 147gr ELD-M’s has the same impact velocity at 500 yards as the WSM/TTSX combo, but 1/3rd less wind drift, 40% less powder consumed, and 40% less recoil.

Don't be breaking my heart. When mid season hits and the bucks are showing up at 55 minutes past sunset, the 300wsm comes out to play. I can't stand it.

Dan-o

FNG
I have a 300 WSM and it's a great gun, but the ammo has been nearly impossible to find. In two years, I have seen it once.
Ain’t that the truth. Can’t find quality hunting ammo that suits my needs anywhere

jstraus34

FNG
Love my 300 wsm but getting to the point I don't like the recoil that comes with it. Like the magnum cartridges in a medium or short action but if had to do it again I think would go with a 7saum or 6.5 prc just for a little less recoil and still have the ability for a heavier bullet to go to for elk hunting with the Saum.
Muzzle brakes make a world of difference as I'm sure you know. I love 300 WSM and with both the radial and Recoil hog brakes, it feels more like my old 243. The tradeoff on recoil vs report is one I work with and recently got Otopro hearing protection so I can leave them in all day and not have to worry about trying to put my plugs in when the moments right :). This isn't going to work for everyone as they are pricy but hearing is one of those things that you don't want to lose. https://otoprotechnologies.com/coll...hearing-protection/products/soundgear-phantom

jstraus34

FNG
Sure would like to know where to buy 200 gr Accubonds or partitions. Wouldn’t mind picking up some A-frames and Bondstrikes as well.
I just got a bunch of bondstrikes and they shoot well in my Browning Xbolt and the gun can be a little fussy when it comes to ammo. I'll be taking these with me to Wyoming this Fall for Elk, if there is any left after this past winter!

Chamon

FNG
Please talk me out of getting into an out of fashion cartridge - the 300 WSM. Staring at ballistic tables and availability for projectiles and comparing both to my 7mm08, I think that the 300 WSM is the perfect fit for my desired application - hunting Elk in Idaho.
Looking to get something a bit bigger but really don't want to get into the belted magnums as a hand loader. Also think the Nosler cartridges are a bit overbore, and don't have any desire for long range target shooting so dont see reason to get into the PRC's.
Said ballistic tables look like they can send 168 monometals fast enough to keep 2-2.2k FPS and 1500+ ft lbs of energy at 500 yards out of a 24".
I already have some powders that should work (Ramshot Big Game) and plenty of LRMP.

The cons - brass is expensive as !*#& and it's not even Lapua. New rifles are not commonly chambered in it anymore.

Is this a dead horse to hitch to?
Great caliber for elk. Watched dozens of bulls taken with the 300 WSM. Just make sure it’s chambered in a reputable rifle. I’ve seen them be a huge pain in the ass if you cheap out on barrel, action, powder, brass, bullet, etc etc.

jstraus34

FNG
Great caliber for elk. Watched dozens of bulls taken with the 300 WSM. Just make sure it’s chambered in a reputable rifle. I’ve seen them be a huge pain in the ass if you cheap out on barrel, action, powder, brass, bullet, etc etc.
I'm a big fan of the 300 WSM as I've killed everything from Elk, Red Stag, black bears and its never let me down if I do my job. It doesn't love every ammo but when you find one it does, its consistent. Mine has never liked monolithic bullets for whatever reason but the same could be said for my browning xbolt in 6.5 CM.

jstraus34

FNG
anyone bought there? looks sketchy and FAR too cheap for quality ammo
Can't vouch for its authenticity but I did think the same thing about the price, especially given there is zero 300 wsm available. Its worth calling them and see.

roymunson

WKR
Can't vouch for its authenticity but I did think the same thing about the price, especially given there is zero 300 wsm available. Its worth calling them and see.
I submitted a credit card once... Paid my stupid tax. I'm not doing that again.

jstraus34

FNG
I submitted a credit card once... Paid my stupid tax. I'm not doing that again.
I tried to order one box to test but they are a bulk seller, need to purchase a minimum of $200 before checkout. It seems legit but I've already stocked up but for those guys that need some its an option. Honestly, with credit cards you can always dispute charges. Hey, I'm not trying to convince anyone but with a shortage of 300 WSM, need options.

inkedspot

FNG
The Norma 180 Bondstrikes shoot great out of mine. 24" barrel and get 3070 fps. Just sign up to be notified when they are back in stock and buy a pile of them at a time when they have them in stock. They seem to perform well on game. Muzzle brake makes it manageable for sure, but there are any number of cartridges and calibers that are equally capable. All depends on what rabbit hole you want to go down.

roymunson

WKR
I tried to order one box to test but they are a bulk seller, need to purchase a minimum of $200 before checkout. It seems legit but I've already stocked up but for those guys that need some its an option. Honestly, with credit cards you can always dispute charges. Hey, I'm not trying to convince anyone but with a shortage of 300 WSM, need options.
You may be right. But I also once spent the $200+ and got NADA. Still have that guy's email. Buyer Beware.

I'm not a great reloader, but I am now good enough to trust what I'm making, and enjoy doing it too.
I have some 150 gr Federal Fusions that came with my gun if you want em...