Talk me out of 300 WSM

JrCaps

FNG
Phenomenal round for Elk and all other big game out West. The only drawback is finding brass. I scooped up 600 pcs years ago when the Norma brass was readily available. Word is ADG will be doing production on 300 WSM bras next month.

Easy to tune a load for, efficient not to mention manageable recoil for a 30 caliber. I love my 300 NMI, but I will never hunt at a distance where the NMI will outperform my 300 WSM, not to mention it is much cheaper to shoot than the NMI.

It is unfortunate that the firearm industry complex dictates what ammo/components are available. There is no reason based on performance and real world results to not warrant the 300WSM from being sought after and available off the shelf from all major rifle makers. Same could be said about the 6.5 SAUM.

Love my 300 WSM. Mine has a 22” barrel and is a custom built by Robert Gradous. I shoot the 130 gr. TTSX and it’s devastating on whitetails.

SwiftShot

WKR
No reason to talk you out of it. 300 WSM is a great round. Short action very efficient works well in shorter barrels.

ZAK13

Lil-Rokslider
I won’t talk you out of a 300WSM, and I don’t own one either. It’s a great cartridge for sure. The only issues I’ve ever heard bad about it, is feeding and the price of brass and factory ammunition.

It's the only magnum 30 I'd want to own, for many of the reasons listed above. Recoil, inherent accuracy, efficiency. Only caveat is it truly belongs in a long action or a medium. Then you can load 200 grain pills where they ought to be.

shax2lex

Lil-Rokslider
I’m farther down the 300WSM trail and I’m going to talk you out of it. I went to a gun show this past weekend. I bought 1000 CCI 250 primers, 1lb of H4831SC, and two boxes of Norma Bondstrikes. I felt violated when I left. I do feel I’ll be able to load what I want for a while. I have brass, bullets, and lbs of H4350. It’s just the initial buy that hurts for good ammo.

Of you end up with a defiance action I have a sweat mullerworks 300 wsm barrel I will sell you. It shot knots for its 75 rds fired before I pulled it. I have another custom 300 wsm and wanted a short 7 is why it was pulled

Vern400

WKR
You have 30-30, 308, 30-06, and 300 wm with steps in performance, available, cheaper than most. There's a massive database of information regarding loading for them. They aren't going away anytime soon. There are a lot of other new cartridges but the advantage over one of these newer cartridges is minor compared to the supply risk.

I can see some advantage in a 280 AI compared to the cartridges that surround it in capability. It seems to be gaining in popularity and chamberings and is in some ways a little bit more capable than the ought six.

I can see some advantage in a 6.5 cm compared to the cartridges that surround it in capability. It doesn't really do anything that 6.5 by 55 Swede or 260 Remington do. But no one can argue that it's a good cartridge and it's tremendously popular with a good solid trend for the future.

30 caliber? Dude! That ground has been plowed so many times they just don't seem to be any surprises left. There's a lot of different going on, but not much better going on.

uhcoog1

FNG
I owned a 300 WSM and 300 RUM, both savage rifles, both similar weights, stocks, scopes, etc. They were within 1/2 a pound of each other.

In my opinion, the felt recoil was higher with the WSM than the RUM. I don't know if this was due to the powder burn rates or what. Neither had a brake.

I've since sold both, but the WSM was first to go.

Lsorum13

FNG
I used a 300 WSM for several years. Was a great cartridge in my opinion. The only reason I got rid of it was due to the lack in supply of ammo.

It is unfortunate that the firearm industry complex dictates what ammo/components are available. There is no reason based on performance and real world results to not warrant the 300WSM from being sought after and available off the shelf from all major rifle makers. Same could be said about the 6.5 SAUM.
6.5 SAUM got PRC'd. The 300 wsm doesn't have any real mainstream commercial alternatives as the 300 SAUM and RCM are more obsolete.

Sled

WKR
I have always wanted a wsm, but in 2023, the prc cartridges seem to be far better supported.

Agreed. I'm loading up some WSM now and wishing I had PRC ease of access to components. My next build will be something simple that works well in a short barrel.

jimh406

WKR
Agreed. I'm loading up some WSM now and wishing I had PRC ease of access to components. My next build will be something simple that works well in a short barrel.
What components do you think are available for PRC compared to almost anything else? Brass or something else?

chizelhead

Lil-Rokslider
I used a 300 WSM kimber montana for years. I got a CA FFT 300 WSM this past fall just before the 7 prc came out. With poor ammo availability, I am looking into reloading now and assembling what I need. I have enough factory for this season, so I am not in a rush. I am interested in the 7 PRC and would have gone that direction had I known. However, there isn't much ammo choice availability for the 7 PRC either. So, I would have wanted to reload for that too. I figure if I reload and can find what what works for the 300 WSM, there will be less pt going the 7 prc route later. It's too bad the ammo manufacturers aren't loading for it. It's been a phenomenal NA game cartridge for me and others.

Last edited:

madcalfe

WKR
I used a 300 WSM kimber montana for years. I got a CA FFT 300 WSM this past fall just before the 7 prc came out. With poor ammo availability, I am looking into reloading now and assembling what I need. I have enough factory for this season, so I am not in a rush. I am interested in the 7 PRC and would have gone that direction had I known. However, there isn't much ammo choice availability for the 7 PRC either. So, I would have wanted to reload for that too. I figure if I reload and can find what what works for the 300 WSM, there will be less pt to going the 7 prc route later. It's too bad the ammo manufacturers aren't loading for it. It's been a phenomenal NA game cartridge for me and others.
grab some H4350, 180 grain Nosler accubonds or 178gr ELDX and you should be set.

Sled

WKR
What primer do you

What primer(s) do you recommend?

I'd start with fed 210 and 215. If your loads are hot or erratic, step down to cci. If you needed more, step up to Winchester or Remington.

The WSM family benefits from a wider primer flash rather than a deeper/longer flash that's needed with a tall case like the 300 win mag. I've had good luck lately with CCI.