Talk me out of a Kodiak Canvas Tent

EvanG17

FNG
I have been out west a few times and have borrowed an 12x12 Kodiak with woodstove. I really liked the setup which included a front enclosure to keep items and food dry. It was enough room for 2 of us and kept up in a pretty good snow storm. I have nothing against it. My only concern is that of all the other camps i drove past, was that not a single person had one. Everyone else had a complete canvas tent setup. Am i missing something or is a kodiak just fine and gonna do the job..

We have one that has served us well.

Since my wife decided we needed a popup we haven't used it. Sure worked good for a few years.

I hunt either by myself or with my son so a 10x10 Kodiak or a 12 x 12 Alaknack work just fine.

If I was with a larger group and/or I wanted a larger tent for whatever reason, I would probably get wall tent. Once you go over 12x12 a wall tent is the way to go IMO.

Slept in a 10x10 in CO for a week this year down to -9 and was great. Good bit of snow also. I’m not sure I’d mess with a wood stove. Mr. Buddy will bake you out of the tent. I got back and bought the 10x14 for my boys. Took it to Big Bend. 10 min setup. 2 adult men and 3 kids with room to spare.

I'll be the lone dissenter on this one. I had one for several years. Used it a great deal and never warmed up to it. I was glad to send it down the road. If you want canvas, go with a traditional canvas tent for the modularity and options. If you want a normal car camping tent, just get a nylon Eureka or something. It'll be cheaper and lighter and pack smaller in your car.

Absolutely love mine. It’s nice being able to stand up, use a cot, and have a floor. No critters to deal with if you keep the doors closed.

Use a Mr Buddy in mine just to warm it up and works awesome. The tent withstood a crazy couple of days of high winds and gust’s. I couldn’t believe how well it did.

I’d buy another one tomorrow if something happened to mine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just buy the springbar so you don’t end up buying one later down the road like I had too when my Kodiak ripped in high winds and the company would not ever respond to me for warranty, repair, or some sort of deal where I could just buy the tent.

Springbar is way tougher in the area mine ripped which is along the wall/floor seam. They have the rope liner for the stakes to pull on. Kodiak just has stiching

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I have been out west a few times and have borrowed an 12x12 Kodiak with woodstove. I really liked the setup which included a front enclosure to keep items and food dry. It was enough room for 2 of us and kept up in a pretty good snow storm. I have nothing against it. My only concern is that of all the other camps i drove past, was that not a single person had one. Everyone else had a complete canvas tent setup. Am i missing something or is a kodiak just fine and gonna do the job..
Maybe all the other hunters were driving by your camp, admiring your tent, and thinking they should get one!

I have a 10x14 Flexbow. Its a great tent. Agree on the awning is the 1 weak spot on the tent.

I have a 12x12 with a stove. So far it hasn't been exposed to the extremes that I've planned but have heard they survive well. I like the windows for summer and when you accidentally overheat the place with the stove. I'm not sure I like the floor but put down a piece of indoor/outdoor carpet to keep the crap off it. I put a similarly sized tarp under the tent for added protection though probably not necessary.

My gripe is the dozen plus guy lines that surround the tent. I forgot about the middle one late one night when I stepped out to pee. I got properly clotheslined.

I think I got mine on super clearance because I know I wouldn't have paid what they're asking now.

198d1fe052858b9151865b2bd19136c1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My only concern is that of all the other camps i drove past, was that not a single person had one. Everyone else had a complete canvas tent setup. Am i missing something or is a kodiak just fine and gonna do the job..
There are some pretty cheap canvas tents sold locally close to me and I bet in most of the west as well. Thin tubing frame and not really something that I would depend on long term. But you see a ton of them because they are cheap.

I own 2 Kodiak’s and have had them for 4-5 years with about a month per year in them.

I wouldn’t buy one if:

-I had a large amount of barn space where I could easily store a Davis, etc. canvas tent
-I pulled a trailer when camping
-I really wanted no floor liner
-I didn’t mind a hour+ set up time
-I always had another guy or two to help me set it up
-I only used it (not the wife, dogs)
-Really wanted to store all my gear, cook set up, and sleeping area in one spot.

I’m very happy with my Kodiak’s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think most people in the thread are talking about the flexbow, I think the OP was looking for thoughts about the cabin tent

I have a 12x12 with the front awning. I’ve had it in 30mph winds and zero degree temps. The buddy heater does do a decent job. Stove keeps it real warm when it’s running hot. I’ve been impressed with mine. Also got a great deal on it so it’s honestly almost half the cost of the heavier tents. I wanted something that gave us a potential horse/mule/llama in option in the future.

Back