Talk me out of a Kodiak Canvas Tent

I have the 12x12 lodge with the 8x8 awning. This setup works well for two of us. Hunting gear and coolers stay in the awning with plenty of room for several weeks of hunting. The awning takes a little time to install (watch the YouTube videos). But it is well worth the time for the extra room for gear. One of tips of the poles broke (my fault) and Kodiak Canvas sent a me new one at no cost.

Dioni A

Basque Assassin
They're a pretty good tent. Canvas is just kind of a hassle. I had one that I used solo on a few trips. Came to the conclusion that it wasn't worth the hassle and I'd be happier off with something like an Alaskan guide tent from Cabela's. Similar amount of space but I don't have to worry as much about moldy canvas if I didn't put it away dry. Every time I used it I would get back home and set it up in my garage for a few days to let it dry out. Was also more concerned about keeping it clean then I've ever been with another tent. They're definitely more work by virtue of being canvas.

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
I had a 10x14 for a decade. The only complaint I had was it weighs a ton. I sold it and was going to buy a Springbar. Then I got to thinking I should have a big Stone Glacier to have for a base camp from Kodiak to wherever. Then realized with the time I’ve got left I could buy 5 Alaskan Guide 8mans for the same price …I’ll keep taking may Sawtooth to Alaska and will use the AG for base camps out west. Wall tents are awesome but I’m not going to be hauling that massive weight.

Interesting tidbit…my first Alaska hunt was in 2000…a drop camp for Mulchatna herd caribou. They dropped us off with an 8 man Alaska Guide dome tent.

bnsafe

WKR
dont wanna hyjack this thread, but how do yall keep your mr buddys running at nite. mine always goes out about a hour into it

sasquatch

WKR
dont wanna hyjack this thread, but how do yall keep your mr buddys running at nite. mine always goes out about a hour into it

Like from running out of propane? You using the small tanks or the big ones with a hose?

Either should run for a long time, just trying to troubleshoot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Enjoy my Kodiak 10'x10' Deluxe VX for 2 hunters. Lots of windows and good ventilation. Simple to set up and can withstand some serious wind gusts. I use 10" lag screws with an impact wrench to anchor that sucker down. If I hunted with multiple hunting buddies (which I don't) I would get a larger size. For cold weather hunting I'm considering getting a diesel heater system (dry heat, safe exterior exhaust) for it.

If you like your Kodiak 12'x12' why change it?

bnsafe

WKR
plenty of propane, its the oxygen thing. Just not sure how yall keep yours running. But, nm, I will start another thread sometime, dont wanna hijack this one. I apologize to the op

Bucky44

FNG
I have been out west a few times and have borrowed an 12x12 Kodiak with woodstove. I really liked the setup which included a front enclosure to keep items and food dry. It was enough room for 2 of us and kept up in a pretty good snow storm. I have nothing against it. My only concern is that of all the other camps i drove past, was that not a single person had one. Everyone else had a complete canvas tent setup. Am i missing something or is a kodiak just fine and gonna do the job..
Got over a 100 nights in my 10x14 in the interior of Alaska in some pretty crappy weather, always warm and dry. Added wood stove, setup 10 minutes with 2 guys. Love it!

eddielasvegas

WKR & Chairman of the Rokslide Welcoming Committee
Classified Approved
if it is not running out of propane, it is running out of oxygen.
At what elevation?

I've used mine at ~7,500' for days and days with nary a problem.

That elevation is about the limit for the oxygen needed to sustain the flame in a BH.

I have a 10' hose with no filter that I bought in 2019 and it has worked perfectly.

BH Tech Support told me to stick to a 10' hose if you are going to run it with no filter. Also, check the age /condition of your hose you use to connect the tank to the BH. Older hoses can break down and clog the line especially if you have a hose with no filter.

Good luck,

Eddie

P.S. Get something like this as it does wonders to circulate the warm air and it requires no AC/DC power.

1715457625198.png

OP
E

EvanG17

FNG
Enjoy my Kodiak 10'x10' Deluxe VX for 2 hunters. Lots of windows and good ventilation. Simple to set up and can withstand some serious wind gusts. I use 10" lag screws with an impact wrench to anchor that sucker down. If I hunted with multiple hunting buddies (which I don't) I would get a larger size. For cold weather hunting I'm considering getting a diesel heater system (dry heat, safe exterior exhaust) for it.

If you like your Kodiak 12'x12' why change it?
I do like it. A ton actually. Like i said i just took a look around and figured id get some input on here to confirm im not running junk and that it will last for years of use if i decide to stick with this route.

Fred

Lil-Rokslider
I have the SpringBar 10x14 and LOVE IT!!! Withstood some big winds and held up heavy snow on many a nights. It is a step up in quality and design than the Kodiak. I can setup by myself quickly. MrBuddy heater heats it up in no time.

I do appreciate the floor and mesh screen windows on the warmer afternoons' vs the Wall tents.

Awning laid back for GrandKids playhouse autumn day.
1715484283590.jpeg

Last edited:

sneaky

"DADDY"
I'll be the lone dissenter on this one. I had one for several years. Used it a great deal and never warmed up to it. I was glad to send it down the road. If you want canvas, go with a traditional canvas tent for the modularity and options. If you want a normal car camping tent, just get a nylon Eureka or something. It'll be cheaper and lighter and pack smaller in your car.
And like everyone else in this thread I think you overlooked the fact that they were using the 12x12 Kodiak which is their canvas wall tent, and not the floored shelter like the 10x10 or 10x14. They make it in a 10x10 wall tent, or a 12x12. It may be a different canvas than a Davis, Montana Canvas, Wall Tent Shop etc, but it's still a canvas wall tent.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
198d1fe052858b9151865b2bd19136c1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
So are Wall Tent Shop tents. It's either China or Pakistan. Half of Springbars tents are made in China as well. Both of those get recommended on here on a daily basis. I'm sure you looked that up and posted it on an imported phone or computer.

cmahoney

WKR
So are Wall Tent Shop tents. It's either China or Pakistan. Half of Springbars tents are made in China as well. Both of those get recommended on here on a daily basis. I'm sure you looked that up and posted it on an imported phone or computer.

Sorry man, didn’t mean to get under your skin. I shouldn’t have pointed that out. I’m in the market for a new canvas tent and will probably buy one of these USA made options. But why buy American when there are REASONABLE options, you are right, stick with China.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jethro

WKR
And like everyone else in this thread I think you overlooked the fact that they were using the 12x12 Kodiak which is their canvas wall tent, and not the floored shelter like the 10x10 or 10x14. They make it in a 10x10 wall tent, or a 12x12. It may be a different canvas than a Davis, Montana Canvas, Wall Tent Shop etc, but it's still a canvas wall tent.

The 10x10 and 12x12 also have sewn in floors and are same canvas as flex bow models.