The best state to live in for hunting

Calcoyote

FNG
Move to Tn you can basically shoot 12 deer a year
2 bucks and 10 does some counties are 3 does a day as long as you don’t go over your statewide limit.

Can a non-resident shoot multiple deer like that? My wife and I spent a lot of time in Tennessee when her mom lived there. That Central Tennessee is beautiful.

bascott1

WKR
Move to Tn you can basically shoot 12 deer a year
2 bucks and 10 does some counties are 3 does a day as long as you don’t go over your statewide limit, ducks in western portion and all the small game you can shake a stick at, buy dogs and coon hunt, trap and not to mention striper fishing, crappie, walleye, and some of the best small mouths in the country. And best of all is you don’t have every Tom, dick, and Harry from the other 49 states wanting to come hunt your deer.
Yeah, until days like today. 94 degrees and high high humidity. Freaking miserable.

nnmarcher

Lil-Rokslider
I feel like most of the western states would be good options. Really it will come down to cost of living and what type of hunting you like best!

sneaky

"DADDY"
Can a non-resident shoot multiple deer like that? My wife and I spent a lot of time in Tennessee when her mom lived there. That Central Tennessee is beautiful.
If you buy the type 94 permit, I believe, you can shoot 3/does a day from opener of archery in late Sep, til last day of season in early Jan. Mostly that limit is in the central and western zones of the state. Eastern TN you can still kill a pile of deer, just have to check the bag limit for the county you are in and where it falls in the regs. Used to be able to kill 4 bucks a year in TN, it's down to 2 a year now but the size of the deer has made a noticeable improvement.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

fingers

FNG
You are correct about the AZ lifetime license.

If so I'm completely pissed and frustrated. I just moved from there after being born there and living there for 43 years. When I read the regulations I thought the life time resident just gave you in state resident fees for general hunting but you still had to put in as an out of state resident.

Depends on what weather and terrain you want. How much sunshine and if you want billiazards and clouds for three months of winter. Also I’d assume you want to marry and have kids one day, if so you now have to satisfy your family’s needs. I think a lot of us would be happy living in a trappers cabin but maybe not your spouse.

StefenB

FNG
I just spent the past year working in DC and living in N VA. No thanks

you forgot ticks oh did I mention a lot of ticks

I did see a a decent 11 point wt bedded down hat would score at least 150 in a small urban 10 acre park about 400 yds from a shopping mall. I sat and watched him for about an hour less than 30 yards away while people walked past him.

I gota agree, I've lived and loved hunting in VA my whole life. I'm in DC now and DC is no BC.

Best state to live in for hunting is the one that pays you the most to go hunting everywhere else.

dustin862

FNG
Kind of hard to beat Washington or Oregon in the right spots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chops24

WKR
Didnt read through all the posts due to the chaff here, but wanted to give my take on NM with all other things aside like money and taxes and living situation etc. JUST HUNTING.

You can hunt big game 365 days a year (OTC Barbary and Ibex). Predators the same, good fishing and no point system.

1. Two Different Species of Big Horn Sheep
2. Oryx
3. Persian Ibex
4. Barbary Sheep
5. Mule Deer
6. Coues Deer
7. Elk
8. Javelina
9. Turkey
10. Black Bear
11. Grouse, Pheasant, Dove, Quail, Geese, Ducks etc.
12. Predators
13. Mountain Lions
14. Pronghorn Antelope
15. Himalayan Tahr

Last edited:
Depends on what weather and terrain you want. How much sunshine and if you want billiazards and clouds for three months of winter. Also I’d assume you want to marry and have kids one day, if so you now have to satisfy your family’s needs. I think a lot of us would be happy living in a trappers cabin but maybe not your spouse.
True story, and from personal experience if you're looking at getting married, I think it's easier to find someone in a Western state to marry than in Alaska.

woody6899

FNG
Hurry up and buy land in Wyoming before Kanye West buys it all up and turns it into colo-fornia.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grant K

FNG
AK, followed by WY, ID, MT, NM, AZ... CO is pretty low on the list of good places to be a resident if you are just talking hunting...that being said, if other outdoor stuff is important to you CO is a pretty good central base for most outdoor activities...not the front range mind you, it's being overrun by people who think its actually in the mountains and not a western extension of Kansas...