The "if you were retired today" thread

Drenalin

WKR
If I was retired right now, I'd still have a 5 year old and a 2 year old. But this is what I imagine today would look like:

Wakeup, get coffee
Three Ss
Rustle up the kids, feed them, off to kindergarten and preschool
Head to a small stream for some rainbow trout
Go home, get trout in a quick brine
Work in the garden for a bit
Pick up kids from school
Fire up the smoker, play with the kids
Trout for dinner
Take the kids for a couple mile walk
Give the kids a bath, then off to bed with them
Go to the garage with a cold one to sharpen broadheads
Do a little scouting on paper topo maps so I don't have to look at a screen

Not sure what I'll do tomorrow, maybe go for a long hike/scouting trip

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I've been mostly retired by choice for quite some time now. But every now and then I'm persuaded to jump back into a job, and then I get bored again and leave. I stay pretty dang busy, as I have trouble sitting still for any period of time....so have to be doing something.

Yard work, travel, home school my youngest, travel some more, camp, trader as well as investor, I shoot stuff (a lot of stuff), travel, volunteer, eat out a lot, etc, etc. Unfortunately, my wife is the opposite.......she gets bored when she's not working a job......not enough hobbies I guess. I might have to force a move on her, so we can get to WY and snowbird in AZ. Then I can add a lot of golf back into the equation again......haven't been playing much at all the past few years........been too busy.

The weird thing though, is that I'm wide awake anywhere from 0330-0530 every morning. So I get up and get busy before anyone else is up. And I've never been a nap guy....even as a kid. Got to keep moving.

Last edited:
I’d be on my way to spend a month somewhere bow hunting for elk in a small RV or 4 wheel drive van

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would have enough dogs to run every day of training and hunting season, and do so. In the off season I would spend a lot of time with my family and some time doing mission trips.

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

2531usmc

WKR
Interesting discussion.....

I’m eligible to retire and I see all the responses here. But when I talk to my friends that have retired, they also have lots of plans and interests which they pursue. However, almost to a man, they say that after about six months of living the good life they are bored silly. Some go back to work full or part time and some sit at home doing nothing. Most tell me that they retired too soon And as much as anything they miss the companionship of their coworkers and friends.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
I am. What ever I want ,when ever I want. Just happens to include hunting and fishing.

grfox92

WKR
If it's not hunting season, I would like to restore cars and trucks.

I really want to build Frankenstein vehicles, stuff a hot small block Ford in a tubed Miata with big 10.5" drag radials.

Restore an old Bronco or Ford pickup and swap the drivetrain and interior from a modern pick up into them.

My dream car is a 1965 Mercury Comet Cyclone. So I would need to find one of those which may be impossible when I reach retirement.

I would definetly have some type of RV and spend time in the Rockies just sitting in a chair, drinking coffee.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

cod007

Lil-Rokslider
Interesting discussion.....

I’m eligible to retire and I see all the responses here. But when I talk to my friends that have retired, they also have lots of plans and interests which they pursue. However, almost to a man, they say that after about six months of living the good life they are bored silly. Some go back to work full or part time and some sit at home doing nothing. Most tell me that they retired too soon And as much as anything they miss the companionship of their coworkers and friends.
I heard the same boredom stories too. Not for me. Plenty of stuff to do. (Just ask my wife).
My buddy of 30 years, who just had moved from the big city, to just down the street 4 years ago, died May of this spring. Thankful for a few years of fun with him but a life changer for the both of us.
I would hope that most folks know how they will handle retirement but apparently not. I knew. I couldn’t wait. Much like my high school days. Couldn’t wait to get out. Retirement is great!

TxxAgg

WKR
I frequent a forum (bogleheads.org) and many retire early and love it while others can't fathom retirement even with significant savings. For them it seems to be boredom that's the hang up.

Between my kids, hunting, hiking, camping, and volunteering I don't see myself ever being bored. Hoping to retire in 10-15 years...need to hit 33x spending.

mavinwa2

WKR
Res WA ST, winter>Gilbert AZ , NR>AZ, UT, NM, CO.
I am retired now...don't regret the decision at all. Financially stable so no worries there.
To be honest, having so much fun & enjoyment by hunting, fishing, camping, scouting, YouTubing, traveling and yes>>>golfing! But always golfed a lot anyways as my GHIN is a +1.2, still scoring around par and sometimes go low.
The only thing to worry about is maintaining my health.....so I can continue another 10 years+.

I don't understand all these seniors I hear saying retirement is; " too boring, nothing to do, rather be working"....not that way at all for me.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
27 months and can’t wait……get the wifey coffee in bed before she goes to work take Odin for walk go to gym take nap do the chores for mrs and enjoy many many more days out hiking🤙

peterk123

WKR
I retired in April, moved the family to Montana and have zero regrets. Bored? You have to be kidding. The problem I am running into is that time is going to quickly. It is scary as to how fast time is flying by. I got suckered into a part time gig working remotely, doing what I did in a prior career 25 years ago. I work from 5:30 AM to 1PM Monday through Wednesday. Keeps my brain going, provides me my health benefits and provides some extra cash. I still have my afternoons and then four days off. I do wish I had seven days completely off, but the benefits outweigh the costs.

I am back to mountain biking, I fish almost every day and I will be hunting before long. My physical condition at 54 years young is beginning to rival how I was in my thirties. Living more than a mile up and having every hike and bike ride require 1,000 to 2,000 feet of climbing does have its benefits. In between everything that is going on we have been busy renovating two townhouses (one is for me and my wife, the other is being used by my youngest and her husband). That chews up a bunch of time. I can't wait to complete them so I will have more free time. Winter is coming and we need to go ski! And I have about 300 flies I need to tie up.

Fantasy retirement? Ride dirt bikes 3x a week. Surf twice a week. Camp once a week, minimum.

Now? Ride dirt bikes once a week. Surf a few times a month. Camp once a week...in winter. I run a business here in the beautiful Lowcountry of South Carolina.

cod007

Lil-Rokslider
My uncle says retirement is great. Everyday is Saturday. He fly fishes on Saturday.
Huh! Everyday is a weekday here. Saturday’s and Sunday’s brings too many of those still working folks around. Especially on the fishing spots.
If I haven’t been on the road around town to see how much traffic is around, I generally completely lose track WHAT day it is.

Oregon

WKR
So. I'm kind of retired. In 2018 I retired after 32 years active military service. E9 with 32 years and VA rating of "holy cow, you can still walk?" I was 50 years old and a pension where I could probably live comfortably in Boston, NYC and San Fran.
I took one day off. Started a seasonal job from Mar 15 to Oct 1. I don't golf, I don't cut wood, I don't do home improvement. My biggest fear was being bored out my mind. So, my first day of retirement I nursed a hangover. Second day I started my 2nd career. I am truly envious of folks who can stay busy year round.