things NOT to take on a guided hunt

ffben

FNG
PS: Some people view a Guide as a hired service provider, someone who works for them. I have hunted with a few Guides, I view them as hunting partners, someone I can learn from, support and enjoy the hunt with. I don't allow the financial aspect to change anything. The Guide is a hunter, just like you. The Guide wants a quality hunt and successful outcome, just like you. Don't treat your Guide any different than you would your hunting buddy(ies). Most of the time a Guide is working harder than the client, be the exception to that rule. JMO.
This struck a chord with me, very well said. I’ve been fortunate to be on a couple hunts the past few years with my dad. Every guide has commented on our willingness to help. Whether it’s cutting wood, dishes, gutting or dragging an animal, etc. It made the experience better, created a better bond with the guide and have created friendships. A post I feel a lot of people should read.

JP100

WKR
Listen to you guide, go through ALL your gear with them

Your guide and his/her advice is there to help you. If they ditch the 'X item", do it.

99% of us do our very best to make sure the hunt is safe and successful, we normally carry extra bits an pieces and would rather your pack be light and you as mobile as possible.

The worst thing you can do.....is insist on bringing a bow and a rifle on a mountain hunt haha. Aint nobody shot an animal with a bow in their hand and rifle on their back.......

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Going to revisit this thread with a few thoughts after having completed a 10 day outfitted hunt in the Brooks Range.

First the terrain in the Brooks Range was very humbling, even for someone who had dedicated a lot of time (and sweat) to training- tundra was unexpectedly difficult, even though relatively flat; fought a lot of thick brush in the bottoms- never fun; lots of rock to negotiate, a lot loose and sketchy rock and no surprise some steep climbs/descents.

I definitely brought stuff that wasn't absolutely needed- a 3 # spotter and a 2 # tripod to go with it (although it might have gone regardless as it's setup to shoot from); my own 1.5# stove/pot/fuel; a 1.5# bivy setup.

Roughly 8 # of gear; a little over 20% of my base weight- not an insignificant amount.

I'll start with the bivy setup- we ended bivying on the side of the mountain after harvesting my ram (camp gear left behind)- this would again go w/o hesitation; the best 1.5 # I brought. The guides really (really) wish they would have had something to take the sting out of an unexpected night out.

Stove/pot/fuel- it was nice to have eating/making coffee when I wanted w/o bugging the guide; but it could certainly have been left behind.

The spotter/tripod- it was nice to have my own spotter and I used it a lot; I used the tripod w/ my binos as well- just more efficient glassing off a tripod. I also spent a lot of time at the range shooting off of it, but ended up shooting off my bipod. This is a tough one, it's a lot of weight and would have definitely been noticeable carrying a pack that was 5 lbs lighter, but at the same time it was nice to have. I'm torn on this, not sure if I would leave it behind if I had another outfitted sheep trip.

cbeard64

WKR
It’s simply personal opinion on carrying your own spotter/tripod. Some are adamant about having a dedicated spotter setup for themselves. I am not. I can share with no problem and the extra weight and setup/takedown is a big PITA to me.

I do have a high quality spotter and tripod setup and do take it even on guided hunts because the spotters/tripods the guides have are often marginal at best. They just leave theirs and carry mine.

j3butch

Lil-Rokslider
Going to revisit this thread with a few thoughts after having completed a 10 day outfitted hunt in the Brooks Range.

First the terrain in the Brooks Range was very humbling, even for someone who had dedicated a lot of time (and sweat) to training- tundra was unexpectedly difficult, even though relatively flat; fought a lot of thick brush in the bottoms- never fun; lots of rock to negotiate, a lot loose and sketchy rock and no surprise some steep climbs/descents.

I definitely brought stuff that wasn't absolutely needed- a 3 # spotter and a 2 # tripod to go with it (although it might have gone regardless as it's setup to shoot from); my own 1.5# stove/pot/fuel; a 1.5# bivy setup.

Roughly 8 # of gear; a little over 20% of my base weight- not an insignificant amount.

I'll start with the bivy setup- we ended bivying on the side of the mountain after harvesting my ram (camp gear left behind)- this would again go w/o hesitation; the best 1.5 # I brought. The guides really (really) wish they would have had something to take the sting out of an unexpected night out.

Stove/pot/fuel- it was nice to have eating/making coffee when I wanted w/o bugging the guide; but it could certainly have been left behind.

The spotter/tripod- it was nice to have my own spotter and I used it a lot; I used the tripod w/ my binos as well- just more efficient glassing off a tripod. I also spent a lot of time at the range shooting off of it, but ended up shooting off my bipod. This is a tough one, it's a lot of weight and would have definitely been noticeable carrying a pack that was 5 lbs lighter, but at the same time it was nice to have. I'm torn on this, not sure if I would leave it behind if I had another outfitted sheep trip.
Have you changed your mind on spotter and tripod? I’m on the fence for my 2024 nwt hunt. Thx

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
The fact that I can shoot off the tripod and it makes glassing with binos more efficient, I think I'd still bring the tripod. The spotting scope in reality was more of a luxury item.

If I was wanting to cut some weight, it would be the first thing to go.

schmalzy

WKR
Have you changed your mind on spotter and tripod? I’m on the fence for my 2024 nwt hunt. Thx

What size spotter? I brought a 65 and was glad to have it but think the small Swaro or Kowa would have been adequate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aoudad

FNG
Great thread, I have nothing to add because my desert sheep guided hunt wasn't a backpack style hunt. I do have stone and dall hunts next two years, so yall have a lot of great info. Would the Swaro STC be worth bringing IF I decide to bring a spotter? Only hiking close to 20 miles in 2.5 days in the desert, I'll be perfectly fine with only bringing the bare minimum on my hunts up north to save weight.

This struck a chord with me, very well said. I’ve been fortunate to be on a couple hunts the past few years with my dad. Every guide has commented on our willingness to help. Whether it’s cutting wood, dishes, gutting or dragging an animal, etc. It made the experience better, created a better bond with the guide and have created friendships. A post I feel a lot of people should read.
When I told the guide to put the head/horns/cape in my pack, he said he had never had a client carry their own.

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
^ ditto on mine. I also boned a good share of the meat while he worked on the caping- thanked me and said that’s never happened before :)

To @aoudad , yeah I think a small spotter would be nice; again kind of a luxury item as the guide is going to have some big glass.

^ ditto on mine. I also boned a good share of the meat while he worked on the caping- thanked me and said that’s never happened before :)

To @aoudad , yeah I think a small spotter would be nice; again kind of a luxury item as the guide is going to have some big glass.
On a couple of guided hunts that I have been on with other hunters in camp, I can't believe how many of the others do absolutely nothing with the processing after the kill. I killed an bull elk at the same time as another guy got another one in Wyoming one time. I was all in on helping to butcher/field dress his, and I don't know if he even touched a thing.

I can’t imagine not helping skin, debone or pack out my animal. And I will for damn sure have the head, horns, cape and as much meat as possible in my pack if I’m fortunate enough to take a sheep. I want that experience no matter what.

TaperPin

WKR
Thanks folks!

Definitely two shelters, I share one with my wife and that's about it :D They provide a TarpTent Double Rainbow which is a nice shelter, but I have a TT Stratospire Li which is equally as roomy, but lighter and I think with it's design a little more bomber, so will be bringing it.

Will be prepared for a night out; fortunately the nights are relatively short in the Brooks Range :)

@Marine4life I've got bug dope and a headnet in bold on my list!

Have some work to do looking at cameras; my iPhone 12 isn't too bad though.
I’ve been following a photography couple on YouTube and they review all the cool new $$$$ gear on down to phones, but at least from what they have been saying is the quality and compactness of a good phone camera is hard to beat unless you are setting up artsy shots. One of their recommendations is to keep the phone camera and invest the time and a little money in a good photo editor to tweak colors and apply different fancy tools that make the pic look more professional. I have one friend who packs a second phone just for a backup camera - the phone isn’t activated, yet they can take and offload pictures via cord. I always thought a second camera would be fun to setup a timelapse at camp (if you have a good view) showing an entire day and the weather as it builds up through the day.

I‘ll second what everyone says about the spotting scope and tripod - I’d go nuts waiting to share a scope, especially if the guide has a crappy one. Rather than a burden on them, you’ll be much less of a hassle than many of the dudes that are out of shape, have no clue, and would be useless with a scope or even binoculars. I’d stash a few extra $50s so if the guide balks at some of your gear, you can just give him one and say, “Just humor me.”

Last edited:

TaperPin

WKR
I’m amazed that model of spotting scope wasn’t/isn‘t more popular - clear, great eye relief, small size and wide field of view.