Third season CO, to camp or not

171farm

Lil-Rokslider
We did a Colorado tent hunt 1st season back in 2017. We went with a guide, doing it on your own would be pretty difficult I think. Obviously its not impossible but there is a lot that goes on behind the scenes to have a comfortable camp...they used propane everything to get away from needing to gather, cut or split wood as it takes a lot to do that. In a season where you will most likely need plenty of wood for heat I dont think Id do it unless you can go in a few days prior to set everything up. Call me soft but Id much rather stay in a cabin or hotel if I were doing it on my own, with a guide I like the tenting aspect. Otherwise, to much work that takes away from the hunt...nothing beats a warm meal waiting for you at the end of a long hard hunt.

So a buddy and I are hunting third season CO and are split on accommodations ideas. I vote for staying under a roof, one with a hot shower; he (unwisely) wants to camp. My feeling is I want to hunt hard and not worry about staying warm, his point is we could buy a tent with a stove for the price of a week in a motel or vrbo. I’m sure this has been debated by other members and hunting partners. Where does everyone fall and how’d the debate go?
cheers
I invested in a 10x10 Kodiak Canvas tent after my first two years of elk hunting. I knew it would be a good investment and it has been better than I expected. I warm mine with a buddy heater run off a 20 lb. bottle and if I can make it through last October's 2nd season at 9k feet, I can make it through any season. On opening day the temps dropped into the teens and it snowed 15". Then the temps dropped into the single digits, hitting ONE degree a few mornings later, and stayed there for the rest of the hunt. I was actually quite comfortable in my KC tent with that little heater.

If I get "bored" in the evenings I either read a book or listen to a baseball game on my truck satellite radio while my phone and Inreach charge. That's a good opportunity to thaw frozen water bottles too.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I've always camped in a tent for hunting since I started hunting in 1980, even the later seasons. But some of those hunts we were up at 0300 getting the horses ready and then on the trail to get to where we wanted to be by first light. Seems like most of those nights and mornings were below zero and I'd wake to a sheet of ice covering my sleeping bag........even with the stove burning all night, and even with coal in it. There's also a much better chance of pushing snow with your bumper that time of year and chains are a must, but you'd have that even sleeping in a motel. All of that isn't for everybody......I enjoyed it when I was younger.......but I hate that now. There's a reason why I hunt in September these days.

But on the other hand, you can always get blue bird weather with no snow and warm temps during the day, and temps above zero every night.

stdeb11

FNG
Camp. I had a friend who wanted to do the motel when we started hunting together a few years ago. I bought a wall tent and stove and it's been a great investment for trips (both money and trips it allows)... I don't mind the long hours even when alone, time to read and think

Vandy321

WKR
We sleep in tents in Nov, not hot tents either. By the time we get back to camp, organize gear if needed, boil water, cook, stash food, get ready for bed, it's been a long day.

Good layers play a huge part in staying warm at camp, obviously. But by the time I crawl in my bag, I'm out cold and need an alarm to get me up in the morning, so I appreciate the long nights. Also, with snow, the hike in/out everyday could suck worse than just going to bed.

That said, I'm buying a wall tent and trying to find a pack mule to drop it at my spot for next year. A stove sounds nice.

I'd by a big tipi with a stove for the price of a week in a hotel.

Poser

WKR
My decision would be based on how long it takes to get to the hunting area at prime time. Say you're in a nice comfy hotel but it takes 2hrs to get to your spot by first light, add another 2hrs coming out after dark, you just eliminated +/- 4hrs of sleep or rest time to your day.
I'd rather deal with the elements since us Roksliders have the best gear, have a spike camp and be right on the game and enjoy the extra sleep/rest time.

This is usually the way I think about it, too. I’d rather get 8+ hours of sleep in a tent and be immediately close to where I’m hunting vs driving, hiking the same in and out every day in exchange for the comforts of home. That being said, hot tents are labor intensive, water freezes and having to take a piss in the middle of the night is a huge inconvenience and often involves a mental dialogue as to which discomfort is greater.

Everything is a tradeoff. Wall tents are a tremendous amount of labor to setup. Comfortable once you have them setup but also a lot of labor to break down. Anything less than 5 nights would not seem to be worth it.

Hot tents are expensive, the stoves are finicky and cause the backpacking (if you are backpacking) to often be inherently heavy with all of the gear you need.

Hotels, houses etc offer a lot of amenities that can be distracting and sleep limiting, not to mention the time spent commuting. Also, the contrast of comfort vs. discomfort can be a hard to cope with for some. I like to get in the zone and stay in the zone. I remember reading an interview with Slash and he said he doesn’t take showers on while on tour because he doesn’t want to wash the rock n roll off -stay in the zone. I’m kinda with him on that. If I go home, take a shower, cook a proper meal, turn on some Netflix, I’m in night owl mode and that 1:30 am alarm clock stresses me out. Being out and about in the mountains, I’m bed shortly after dark.

rideold

WKR
I don't camp 3rd season. If I had a wall tent with a stove I'd give it a go but the area I hunt is pretty varied and I drive to a different spot most morning and hunt three main areas throughout the week so the driving in the morning isn't a big deal to me.

Poser

WKR
Two words: pee bottle!

I had a climbing partner that could piss in a bottle without getting out of his sleeping bag. That ain’t me. If I have to unzip, at least get on my knees and use a wide mouth bottle that I have to backpack in, night as well just step outside at that point.

I had a climbing partner that could piss in a bottle without getting out of his sleeping bag. That ain’t me. If I have to unzip, at least get on my knees and use a wide mouth bottle that I have to backpack in, night as well just step outside at that point.
Agreed.

Years ago I decided that the instant I begin having that "mental dialogue" it's time to get up and go because I'm going to have to go eventually. LOL I don't even wait anymore. If it woke me up, then I'm going straight away, damn the temp outside.

The quickest way to get back to sleep is to make it fast and get back in that warm sleeping bag. :D

Reactions: NB7

mlgc20

WKR
I strongly prefer to be in a tent as opposed to driving out to lodging each night. If the temps are expected to be below zero, I will bring a stove. Otherwise, just bring the right sleeping pad, quilt, and layers. Like Vandy, I'm usually pretty worn out in the evenings. I don't mind going to be a little early when the nights are long.

I prefer camping, thats part of the experience for me. Last year we hunted 3rd season Colorado. We did stay in a hotel a couple of nights just because we couldnt actually get back to camp due to rain and turning the roads into slick snot. It snowed a few of the nights after that and the roads were better. I would camp if you have the stuff to do it. We use Kodiak Canvas tents with a Mr Buddy heater inside and it stays toasty warm.

Packing in somewhere and camping? Or truck camping with a wall tent and propane stove.
The group I hunt with uses several wall tents or tent trailers and propane heaters. Being able to stand in a warm tent is a game changer for moral when the weather turns.

SonnyDay

WKR
Ha! You had a talented climbing partner!

But fair enough. I only use the bottle if there's deep enough snow that I have to get boots/pants/gaiters on to make it happen...

Traveler

WKR
A Davis tent with stove is plenty doable in 3rd season. More work keeping fire going, collecting wood, etc Just comes down to where you are hunting and travel time relative to the extra camp work time. I’ve stayed in hotels too, cost comparison depends on the particular hotel/vrbo and number of hunters. I wouldn’t camp third season without a stove. Showers have always been take it or leave it when hunting for me.

Poser

WKR
1st Rifle Season back in the 90s - when it used to snow
I used a propane Mr Heater to keep warm

We used to hunt the old 3rd Season [now the 4th Season] with the same setup.
Get good gear and you'll be fine

View attachment 332784

The 2000s had 4 record setting October’s. The 90s had just one. This might be a case of “back in my day….”

988a042d8cdf554801c204979fde6d8d.jpg