Thumb trigger carry?

Jens

FNG
I'm just wondering how you guys carry release while spot and stalk or elk hunting. I switched to a thumb this winter and love it. I shot fingers 20 some years before going to a wrist strap for a few and the wrist strap just never felt right to me. I want to hear from the guys that have more experience carrying it on these kind of hunts. Ive searched and most say pocket or chalk pouch. What works for you? Thanks.

I don't currently use one myself, but just watched a video with Levi Morgan and he had his on a lanyard around his wrist like the one on a Trufire Four Finger. I'm thinking about trying one this winter and that was my plan for carrying it if it ended up working for me.

Depends on the design of the release. I picked up a Tru-Ball Incredible not to long ago and it will be a pocket carry release for me. I'll also be taking a Carter Honey 2 (it's a hinge but there are thumb trigger releases that are similar in design) and since it has an enclosed loop that your index finger goes through, it'll be on a lanyard.

WKR
I'm planning on keeping it either in a pants pocket, or the belt pocket/pouch on my pack. I have an identical backup for when I lose the first one...

Stwrt9

WKR
i keep mine in pocket seems to work fine that way. if you have a zippered pocket that you can get to quickly and easily i recommend that as you don't want to be backcountry and have lost your release. Just a little security blanket for peace of mind.

Gumbo

WKR
I have a small double carabiner (think "s" shape) that I run through a buckle on the right side of my FHF bino harness. My Carter Too Simple has a small hole through it that I run a small loop of cord though, which I can clip into the carabiner. It works great and is always there when I need it.

jmez

WKR
However you decide to carry the one you are hunting with you should also have a backup in your daypack at all times.

Both of my hunting partners carry theirs in their RF pants pocket.

Manosteel

WKR
easily accessible pocket and then when I am closing in or calling I clip on the D-loop. I used to tie a simple wirst strap with 550 cord to keep it on my wrist but that got annoying.

OP
J

Jens

FNG
I have a small double carabiner (think "s" shape) that I run through a buckle on the right side of my FHF bino harness. My Carter Too Simple has a small hole through it that I run a small loop of cord though, which I can clip into the carabiner. It works great and is always there when I need it.

I'm going to try this around the house. I have the same release. Good idea. This or pocket will get the nod.

OP
J

Jens

FNG
However you decide to carry the one you are hunting with you should also have a backup in your daypack at all times.

Both of my hunting partners carry theirs in their RF pants pocket.

Thanks. I have a backup ordered.

OP
J

Jens

FNG
I hear ya. I know i dont want it on my wrist. Seems like one of the benefits to this release is not having it tied on all day.

wncbrewer

Lil-Rokslider
I have mine hooked up to a wrist strap that I stole off a Scott longhorn hunter. If it isn't attached to my person, I will lose it. I have proven that statement more than once.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wncbrewer

Lil-Rokslider
e5519c47b0a08bc32b6773ee59074cc1.jpg

OP
J

Jens

FNG
I have mine hooked up to a wrist strap that I stole off a Scott longhorn hunter. If it isn't attached to my person, I will lose it. I have proven that statement more than once.

Did it fall out of your pocket?

I put mine in the front pouch on my bino harness or in a pocket. I wear my wrist release and practice with both. That way, if i can get to the thumb, it gets the nod, if not I can use the wrist release in a pinch. Plus i always have a backup.

Joe

wncbrewer

Lil-Rokslider
Did it fall out of your pocket?

Yep, along with a box of mouthcalls. Happened while I was kicked back against a tree eating lunch. I was able to go back and retrieve it once I discovered it missing, but have been gun shy about it since.

OP
J

Jens

FNG
Yep, along with a box of mouthcalls. Happened while I was kicked back against a tree eating lunch. I was able to go back and retrieve it once I discovered it missing, but have been gun shy about it since.

I can see how that would steer you toward a strap.

Shraggs

WKR
I have been using a four finger thumb release since I got into archery. I have three ways I manage mine. When on the move getting to animals or tree stand locally it goes in my pack right waist belt pouch. I found a lanyard that is one of coilie wrist straps that can hold a key or something, and attached it to my release and this goes around my wrist when staking and I need my hands. I try to orient it so the release is on the back side or top of my hand so it does not make any noise if I need to use Binos or something. When I'm stationary spotting up or in a tree stand the release is clipped onto the loop so it's ready. I never stalk or move with it clipped to the loop, to easy to loose or worse get caught on a branch and make noise.

DEW0341

WKR
Took some 550 chord made a lanyard for my Carter simple 1 for my wrist. Or I carry it in top elastic part of my AGC bino harness