Tire Chains

Dooger

FNG
Never had them and need to buy them still.

A couple years ago, I ended up on a road I’d never been on. Crested a hill on some greasy red mud right after a very light rain and there was no turning back. Most nervous I’ve been in my life. There was a cliff just to my right 10 feet that was about a 200’ drop to the bottom. Not even funny. There was a curve at the bottom and I had to stop to regain my composure for 5-10 minutes before I could continue.

I wonder how many people slide off cliffs that we never hear about?

TheGDog

WKR
I'd rarely if ever need chains. Sounds like the cable version is what I need. I just have an 2014 2WD F-150.

Can anybody recommend from experience a brand (of the cables) that's easy to get on and take off, at a fair price? Thx

fmyth

WKR
I'd rarely if ever need chains. Sounds like the cable version is what I need. I just have an 2014 2WD F-150.

Can anybody recommend from experience a brand (of the cables) that's easy to get on and take off, at a fair price? Thx
I'd skip the cables if you ever plan to use them on a dirt/gravel road. Regular chains with the cam locks are easy to put on take off.

TheGDog

WKR
I'd skip the cables if you ever plan to use them on a dirt/gravel road. Regular chains with the cam locks are easy to put on take off.
OK cool thanks for that info!

Do ya happen to know any particular manufacturers that you know for sure should fit an F-150?

Asking because in my searching I found posts where people had various issues with clearance of the chain in relation to parts on their vehicle, such as brake-lines and A-arm attachment points. And since I live someplace coastal I will HAVE to order them. And I'd hate to have to get 'em, then found out they won't work and have to bother with shipping them back and so forth.

fmyth

WKR

Do ya happen to know any particular manufacturers that you know for sure should fit an F-150?

Asking because in my searching I found posts where people had various issues with clearance of the chain in relation to parts on their vehicle, such as brake-lines and A-arm attachment points. And since I live someplace coastal I will HAVE to order them. And I'd hate to have to get 'em, then found out they won't work and have to bother with shipping them back and so forth.
You'll order chains based upon your tire size. Here is one link to a fitment calculator: https://tirechain.com/alloy-square-straight-link-1/ I am sure there are others online.

For ease of use I'd recommend a cam lock style chain. Once you get them you will install them at home to test fitment. I had to use a hack saw to cut off a couple links on mine.

Once you have them on the truck you will then crawl under it and check to make sure you have 1 1/2" of clearance between the chains and the trucks suspension. Usually the only issues are brake lines on disc brake vehicles on the front and rear and the upper control arms on the front. Make sure to turn your front wheels to full lock left and right and check clearance again. If the chains are closer than 1 1/2" to anything you'll need wheel spacers. Spacers are specific to your vehicles make model.

I'd get Bora's: https://www.motorsport-tech.com/bora.html

Buy as little spacer as possible. If your chains are an inch from your upper control arms then only buy a 1/2" or 3/4" spacer. Too much spacer and you'll have other problems. I bought too big of a spacer and then my front wheels came too close to my fender/mud flaps at full lock. Had to buy spacers that were 1/2" thinner and then had almost exactly 1 and 1/2" clearance everywhere.

fmyth

WKR

I understand. I live in Phoenix AZ. No tire chains on the shelf here.

Choupique

WKR
since I live someplace coastal I will HAVE to order them

I bought mine in Colorado and test fitted them in the parts store parking lot on the way in. Maybe yall could stop somewhere on the way up and do that.

Went down a FS two track in the Big Horns a couple weeks ago. Looked similar to the picture of the F250. On the way in it wasn't too bad and I was able to straddle the washouts and biggest boulders. However, the sun came out and melted the packed snow in our tracks and then it refroze before we headed out.

On the way out $hit got real. The steep dropoffs and boulders that were easy to navigate on the way down were much more dififcult on the way out, and straddling the washouts was much more difficult with the slippery ice underneath. We eventually crawled out in 4 low lock with the air suspension in OR2 mode. It was definitely a rookie mistake and one I will not repeat. We were in full pucker mode for most of the way and we had multiple concerns including losing an oil pan, front diff, or sliding it into a tree that were very close on both sides.

I called Napa and Cenex in Buffalo and chains to fit my truck were $250/pair. Not wanting to spend that kind of money on this trip, I passed, and we just hiked in the extra mile and a half instead of risking it.

2019 Ram 1500 Limited crew with 5'7" bed and Ramboxes... The Cooper Discoverer AT3 XLT are worth their weight in gold and thank you to the FS fellas on here that recommended them.

I have a 4"-25' strap in my truck, but I will be adding a come-along and additional 20-25' log chain for next time. Much cheaper than a bumper winch. I'll also be looking to get at least one set of chains for the front.

tdhanses

WKR
And this is why I use a sxs, lol. Leave the pickup where it belongs on a good road, with the price of newer pickups and the tight clearances they just aren’t meant to go off-road anymore.

Poser

WKR
And this is why I use a sxs, lol. Leave the pickup where it belongs on a good road, with the price of newer pickups and the tight clearances they just aren’t meant to go off-road anymore.

If you put half of the cost of a SxS into aftermarket upgrades for a truck, you would save quite a bit of money: maintenance on 1 vehicle, no trailer, no additional insurance.

Also, it would be difficult to argue that there has never been a better time in history for off-road trucks. You have speciality shops and resources dedicated to off-road vehicles, an array of options, stock skid plates, custom suspension, etc that has never existed before and you can easily find stock vehicles with rear lockers. How many of these options and resources were available in 1982? When in history were trucks more stock equipped and capable to go off-road?

tdhanses

WKR
If you put half of the cost of a SxS into aftermarket upgrades for a truck, you would save quite a bit of money: maintenance on 1 vehicle, no trailer, no additional insurance.

Also, it would be difficult to argue that there has never been a better time in history for off-road trucks. You have speciality shops and resources dedicated to off-road vehicles, an array of options, stock skid plates, custom suspension, etc that has never existed before and you can easily find stock vehicles with rear lockers. How many of these options and resources were available in 1982? When in history were trucks more stock equipped and capable to go off-road?
And you’ll have a vehicle built for maybe 1% of most peoples daily needs. I’d prefer to build a sxs, oh wait I did, lol. Plus I’m not afraid to tear up a sxs, they are like working on vehicles from the 80’s to early 90’s, roll one and it’s not a big deal if your handy.

Plus all the vehicles built stock that way cost $20k+ more to have before you even do anything to it and yet you can’t use chains on 95% of them.

Last edited:
SxS plus a trailer and extra gas to pull it 13 or more hours out west is about the same cost as a used truck. ;)

2" Daystar level/lift for my Ram is $500 including installation. This will give me 2" over stock in "normal" mode. In OR1 I get additional 1.2" and in OR2 I get an additional 2" total. So 4" maximum with the level/lift kit in OR2.

Stock ground clearance- 8.1"
275/70 r18 tires- +1" over stock 22s (32.2" vs 33.2" diameter)
2" level/lift- +3"
2" in OR2 mode- 5"

Total ground clearance of 13.1" when in OR2.

tdhanses

WKR
SxS plus a trailer and extra gas to pull it 13 or more hours out west is about the same cost as a used truck. ;)

2" Daystar level/lift for my Ram is $500 including installation. This will give me 2" over stock in "normal" mode. In OR1 I get additional 1.2" and in OR2 I get an additional 2" total. So 4" maximum with the level/lift kit in OR2.

Stock ground clearance- 8.1"
275/70 r18 tires- +1" over stock 22s (32.2" vs 33.2" diameter)
2" level/lift- +3"
2" in OR2 mode- 5"

Total ground clearance of 13.1" when in OR2.
I have a 3.5” lift on my GMC, upper control arm still only has a 1/4” clearance from the tire, so no chains, I have 33’s. To replace my pickup the cost is $70k today, my little 1/2ton diesel gets 15mpg towing my sxs, it’s still pretty cheap to haul around vs the cost of any damage to my main vehicle.

I’m not afraid to bounce the sxs off rocks and tree branches, no way I’ll go down the trails/roads I do on my sxs in any vehicle worth more then $15k or that is a daily driver.

To each their own I guess. I added a mild lift front and rear to my truck, BFG k02s, factory rear locker. I enjoy using my truck like a truck and it’s nice to get back pretty far and have many days worth of gear, food (and beer), set up my roof tent and still be mobile if necessary.

Can definitely see the benefits of cruising around in a sxs though.