Trekking poles….I don’t get it

BAKPAKR

WKR
I would use them while packing in or out on an archery hunt but not while I was actually “hunting.” On a rifle hunt, it would depend on the country. If it were thick timber, I would want my rifle in my hand. If it were more open and I was carrying my rifle in my Kifaru Gunbearer, I would use them.

In addition to making a good rifle rest, they are also handy in “snakey” country for testing the location of your next step.

Poser

WKR
Off trail in steep country, top heavy with a pack: it’s insane not to use them.

I’ll debate anyone ad nauseam on climbing efficiency using trekking poles. Going straight up a 40+ degree slopes, the most efficient climbing stance is for your body to match the slope angle. The steeper the angle, the steeper you’re body angle. You’re going to hit a tipping point where it only makes sense to support the weight of your upper body else you are going to have to bend over. Alpinists, backcountry skiers, mountaineers, mountain racers, thru hikers… virtually everyone who excels in mountain terrain, all use them. Plus, you can poke and prod elk turds.

horniac

FNG
In steep STEEP stuff you can only take so many steps before you have to stop and suck air. Poles can double the number of steps. When I know there’s a bull up there and he isn’t going to wait around for me to get my fat ass into shooting position that’s a good thing.

At 56 they are knee savers on the downhill and I bet I can bounce down faster than a guy with no poles.

I also use them to set up my sil tarp so I can still hunt all day even if it rains or the snow is coming down.

Last, if I’m going to carry something I love it if I can use it for more than one thing. In the case of poles these Kwik Stix attachments do just that. Gun rest in 2 seconds. And a rest in elk hunting is priceless. I have a Bog Pod but it’s lashed to my pack while these are already in my hands ready to rock. View attachment 332189View attachment 332190
Indian Summer,

What brand/model of trekking poles are those? I have the Kwik Stix but they don’t work with my particular model of Black Diamonds…

Thanks,

Horniac

If I'm hunting my poles are in the pack. When it's time to haul meat it's like having four wheel drive. Keeps me balanced and you're using your arms as well as your legs while climbing and even better while going downhill. Even just hiking on a trail without packing meat I'm using them. While hunting they are kept in my pack. I don't sneak around the timber and brush with them.

They are a tool and when used correctly help me immensely. I only wished that I had started using them years ago.

Huntnnw

WKR
I had never used them until 2012 when I drew a elk hunt in a extremely steep unit they were life savers. I dont leave the truck without them when packing in.

wweaver

FNG
I call them my four wheel drive, I don’t leave the house for any hunting without them, started using them at about 35 wish I would not have been so stubborn and tried them sooner. Experiment with different ways for your pack to hold your bow, something will work.

Odin509

FNG
I love mine, I would trust my poles over branches or pecker poles. I do understand the risk and your concern with falling on your bow.

jmez

WKR
I like them. Use them any time I'm not hunting. My bow is only in my hand during legal shooting hours. It rides on my pack a lot. I've never had an issue with damage or knocking the bow off.

Go to a gym and do a workout on a stair master or treadmill without holding onto anything. Ho back the next day, do same work out holding the handles on the machine. That will tell you what your missing.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

Deadfall

WKR
I used to hate them, but for steep open a slopes, goats, sheep, half a caribou, moose quarter, I’ve come to love them. I used to call them hippie sticks actually.

6’5” and tend to not have great balance, so I really like them on steep slopes. I hunt with people who don’t use them as well, it’s a personal preference but I won’t go without them.

Also there’s a spot on the Kenai I used to hunt goats that has leg breaker holes in waist high grass, I can feel ahead and avoid them. A buddy tied his to his pack, I told him about the holes, but didn’t use them. 1 hour into our 6 hour alder busting he dropped off in one, almost blew the hunt right there.
Haaaajaaaaahaaaaa....I still call them hippy sticks, eventhough I use them from time to time....haaaaahaaaahaaaa

What am I missing?
Everything... ;)

Seriously though, I love trekking poles. Use them to pitch my Super tarp, or as a make shift rifle rest, they've saved me from many a fall in snow covered deadfall, they can push jack pine out of the way, or knock snow off the branches so I don't get soaked going through thick crap.

And if I want both hands free I just collapse them down and stick them in my pack.

Wait till you have knee, or back pain. Part of the lure of trekking poles is they help ease some that strain, before it becomes a problem. It also helps stabilize significantly large loads on your back, think 50-100lbs, ever hike with that kind of weight a lone distance(not 5 miles)? Just my 2 cents
this..

They're useful going up and down mountains to either slow your descent, turn at a switch back, or dig in and allow your arms to assist your legs going up

I’ll never go hunting again without them if I “may” have to pack anything out on my back.. camp or game.. they are too important for my knees, stability, ankles.. on and on…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sled

WKR
So I was in the elk woods, very thick, very steep terrain......I also could not see myself strapping my bow to my pack, just not worth the risk of it getting knocked.

What am I missing?

When I responded earlier I forgot to address this. Your bow is safer on your pack than in your hand if you're in steep terrain (>45°). Keep it higher on the pack if you fall on your butt a lot. Mine is in my hand if it's legal shooting hours typically. The exception is if I need both hands to safely navigate terrain. Rock climbing is a good time to have the bow on your pack.

TheGDog

WKR
What are you missing? Um... well... some years... and a bad incident or two that opens up your eyes to the BUENO of using at least one trekking pole so you don't have a slip-and-fall while crossing a creek on the backs of rocks in 32 F weather resulting in a slip and fall that causes you to shatter your wrist 4 miles from the car with multiple creek crossings on the way back out too!

I can see wanting to have hand on bow. Where I was hunting at before... it had a long hike-in with a single-track VERY overgrown trail line. Many parts ya flatout HAD to keep the bow in your hand and over your head over the brush so it wouldn't grab the string and cause fraying to it.

Also with the extra weight... when walking without a trekking pole... if the trail starts to slope downhill, your natural tendency is to make use of that gravity and typically a person will naturally start to lengthen their strides a lil bit. DO NOT DO THIS!!! In my instance that single-track trail I mentioned has spots where it's got hardpack with just a lil bit of loose grit upon it's surface on a downhill slope. I got EXTREMELY lucky while packing out this one time. Upon taking the next step.... my foot slid just a little bit... and with the lay of the land that slip caused front of my foot to rapidly rotated outward from center... all while my thigh and the entire rest of my body were STILL GOING STRAIGHT! I came real damn close to seriously having my knee rip apart that day. So don't do it. Keep doing the short choppy steps and have that damn trekking pole in your hand man. I don't even wana think about how bad it'd suck to have to somehow hop the rest of the hike-out on one leg.... in the dark.

PaBone

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone that's older will probably tell you your just not as stabile and sure footed as you were when younger. I'm 60 now and use Black Diamond Alpine Cork poles when packing in and out with about a sixty pound pack and packing out an elk quarter. Especially going down steep rocky hills they really save your knees and lots of times save you from ending up on your ass. Once I have my lighter day pack on and hunting I'm carrying my bow.

rodney482

WKR
I use them for hiking in to spike.
I use them when hauling out meat

Prior to trekking poles——> *** 2011 , packing out meat, stepped in a hole and blew up my knee.. detached acl, meniscus torn and dislocated my knee cap. I was 4.7 miles from the trail head. Thank God I was not alone.

morgan1h

Lil-Rokslider
The four legged creatures we chase get around the mountain pretty good. I can move just a bit more like they do over deadfall, boulders, and the steep steep when using poles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ganngus

Lil-Rokslider
Three herniated discs in back, one ACL tear, and two MCL tears later, I would not be caught without at least one trekking pole in steep country...