Tripod Advice ?

Unreal_TK

FNG
I’ve been using vortex tripods for several years now. Do you think the outdoorsman system is the one and done system ? I’ve beat tripods to death. They get loose, and break or loose parts. What is your preferred setup ? I hunt from a backpack at times and also glass from the truck. I currently use two different tripods for each job. 85MM spotter and binos both.

Napperm4

WKR
Outdoorsmans are built like a tank but heavy.

Personally I’ve had great success with a slik 634cf. Lighter, warmer and I can stand with it if needed.

Currently I have the Outdoorsmans pan head but looking hard at switching over to the sirui va-5

hammerguy

FNG

Personally I’ve had great success with a slik 634cf. Lighter, warmer and I can stand with it if needed.

I run the Silk Pro 613cf.
Strong carbon fiber but lite as a feather and great height for a 5'7" guy's walking stick.

I run the Sirui A-1205 with the VA-5 panning head. The head adds a bit of weight but man is it nice. The legs are in 5 sections so it compacts down pretty well.

I run the following

Slik 634
Slik 824
Outdoorsmans medium with long center post extension

Each has its intended purpose.

For heads I run
Outdoorsmans pistol grip with panner
Outdoorsmans panhead
Gitzo 1720
Manfrotto 700 rc2

Once again each has its purpose

I run outdoorsmans qr adapters on all my tripods so I can switch heads in seconds.

Not cheap but all are quality gear

Vaultman

WKR
Outdoorsmans medium for me. I don't glass standing, but am a tall guy, so the medium is perfect. It is nice to have just one clasp per leg to deal with, and though it may snag going in and out of a bag, I like the lever locks. They are easier to deal with for me than the twist locks.
The one and done question... for me it will be. I doubt I will ever buy a different hunting tripod.

recurveman

Lil-Rokslider
I have an outdoorsman medium with the smaller outdoorsman head. I went to their shop and looked at pretty much everything. The slik's might be a bit lighter but the outdoorsman tripod is more solid. I'm an ounce counter guy and I think that is worth the extra bit of weight for the added stability. It is a noticeable difference. I also got the enter post extension. I think it adds 3oz and gives you double the center post. That was worth the weight in my book too. If you are on a steeper hill the extra center post extension comes in handy.

The smaller pan head works great with 15's and a 65 spotter. I think you could run an 85 spotter but you are going to give up a little with that small of a head. Brace yourself. It killed a $1000 bill all in one shot after a few extra gadgets too.

willidru

WKR
I use the Slik 634cf it works well, but my leg locks locked up and they changed me $60 to fix. Didn’t perform in the elements, but I’m pretty hard on my gear.

skierhs

WKR
What’s your price range? That will affect a lot of what your able to get. Really right stuff (“RRS”) is a slighter heavier carbon fiber tripod that will break the bank for most people but I have not found a better tripod and ball head out there.

New Manfrotto 190 Go Carbon is on My get list. Also have slik 635 light weight not as sturdy as Id like but veey handy

mcseal2

WKR
I like the Outdoorsmans pan head very much. I use it with my optics and with the rifle rest to shoot from. I have a quick attach on both my tripods so I can use the same head on either tripod or with their window mount.

I had an Outdoorsmans compact medium tripod but ended up selling it. It was nice but I kept taking my Promaster 525 instead. I like the removeable leg feature of the Promaster, I use the leg and rest of the tripod on occasion to hold up my tarp. I have also used the leg as a trekking pole. Mine is the older, lighter version with only one removeable leg.

This summer I bought a Slikk 634 I think is going to get a lot of use also. On my summer scouting trip it looked like I will be glassing more standing this fall than usual. The 525 gets almost to standing height but I have to hunch over just a little. The Slikk has plenty of height for me to stand behind.

bullmoose

FNG
I'm running the slik624 and outdoorsmans micro pan head. Use it to glass with a 65mm spotter, 15x56, and 10x binos. The tripod is a little short for me to glass with a straight spotter while standing up (I'm 6'2") but works fine with the angled spotter that I'm running currently. I rarely glass while standing anyway so it hasn't been an issue.

I've really liked this setup and don't think I'd change anything up until my spotter gets bigger, I think the micro pan would need swapped out for something a little more stable at that time.

I'll through 1 more suggestion your way, KDC (Kramer Design Corp). I got the Granite Peak tripod last year because I was tired of humping around my old heavy one. I got the 42" version and it weighs 9.3 ounces and collapses to the size of a small water bottle. Is it an Outdoorsman with a pan head, absolutely not. But it's light, sturdy and gets the job done, and with the money I saved I could have bought another OTC tag.

https://kramerdesignscorp.com/Granite_Peak_Tripod.html

kong

Lil-Rokslider
New Manfrotto 190 Go Carbon is on My get list. Also have slik 635 light weight not as sturdy as Id like but veey handy
Wow just looked up that tripod and looks awesome. No tripod here and looking to get into it so figure buy once cry once.

EDITED: Looked at payload only 15lbs. Would like to use for both optics and shooting platform.

Last edited:

cattleman99

Lil-Rokslider
If you want a solid tripod at an affordable price, Leofoto is hard to beat. Solid as heck and can be used for both shooting and spotting.

Block

WKR

Currently I have the Outdoorsmans pan head but looking hard at switching over to the sirui va-5

I recently did this ^ the Sirui is AWESOME ! Screw the handle off and set tension to a perfect hands free Bino head. x10
Better than any of the 3 Outdoorsmen heads Iv tried and way less $$$

Elkero

FNG
The Field Optics Research Carbon fiber are excellent. I like that the 6229 allows two legs to unscrew and can be used as trekking poles.