Tripod recommendation for Binos only

OP
Wrestler034
Well, couldn’t decide between the KDC Granite Peak and the Promaster from Cameraland. Went ahead and ordered both. Will probably end up selling one or the other at some point, but I think they both fill a different role.

tdhanses

WKR
Well, couldn’t decide between the KDC Granite Peak and the Promaster from Cameraland. Went ahead and ordered both. Will probably end up selling one or the other at some point, but I think they both fill a different role.

They do and really are both worth having.

Rob5589

WKR
Anybody ever consider the Vortex Summit? I use one and it is plenty stable, easy to use, and is a weighed 1 lb 13.4 oz with the center extension and weight hook removed. I used to dabble in photography and have a couple of Manfrottos but I have to say, for 130 bucks the Vortex works great for a packing tripod.

Charon

Lil-Rokslider
Look at monfrotto tripods.. They are awesome and the heads are super smooth for doing a lot of glassing. They make a mini that's in aluminum it's lite and would be great for back country stuff. The only thing that I'm concerned with, and this is with any aluminum tripod is bending the legs. I have the bigger carbon tripod. It's a bit pricier, but it's lasted me 5 yrs of hard abuse.
Something also to think about is a tripod that has independent legs so you can sit under it, and glass comfortably. Hope this helps. Best of luck

OP
Wrestler034
Anybody ever consider the Vortex Summit? I use one and it is plenty stable, easy to use, and is a weighed 1 lb 13.4 oz with the center extension and weight hook removed. I used to dabble in photography and have a couple of Manfrottos but I have to say, for 130 bucks the Vortex works great for a packing tripod.

I have used one for a few years, it’s going to get passed to my boy, now that I upgraded. But I agree, it’s great for the $.

Whisky

WKR

Wrestler, what did you ever think of the Granite Peak tripod?

I might give one a try for some 12x50 EL's. It seems the 33" height is the most popular, is that about right?

Also i would run these with an Outdoorsmans quick attach system. I wonder if the KDC Optics Balance Adjuster would be a nice addition, or not necessary?

Thanks

OP
Wrestler034
I like it a lot. It is not as stable as a true tripod, but works well for an 8oz piece of gear. With 12s I’d say the balancer would be a must have. Even with my 10x42 Monarch HGs I wish I had it sometimes. The GP won’t replace a real tripod for me, but it is sure nice to have when pack weight is super important.

Whisky

WKR
I like it a lot. It is not as stable as a true tripod, but works well for an 8oz piece of gear. With 12s I’d say the balancer would be a must have. Even with my 10x42 Monarch HGs I wish I had it sometimes. The GP won’t replace a real tripod for me, but it is sure nice to have when pack weight is super important.

Perfect, thanks!

Whisky

WKR
Does anybody know if the Kramer "RRS Clamp system, based on modified Weaver scope style dovetail design" matches up with the Outdoorsman stuff?

I guess what I'm really wondering is if the Kramer OBA will lock into the Outdoorsman quick release adapter? Or is the Kramer shoe needed?

tdhanses

WKR
Have you used 12x50 binos on that setup with the OD panner? And do you feel the OBA is necessary?

Nope only 10x42 and the little Kowa, haven’t tried the OBA and really don’t feel it’s needed but that may be more of a personal choice.