Ultimate Lightweight AND Comfy Pad?!!!???

dotman

WKR
Another vote for neo air! Your right they are a tad noisy when moving, but there light weight. Just don't try and sleep on a slope of any kind because you won't be able to stay on the pad. I know because I was hunting sheep in AK and tried it. Otherwise a great pad IMO.

Add silicone or seam sealer in lines all over your pad, this will make a big diff when camping on slopes.

bowuntr

WKR
Or... get a BA bag with the sleeve. Absolutely no issue with sliding and it reduces the noise because you are not moving around on the pad. I keep the pad in the sleeve and stuff the bag and pad in to the same stuff sack. I was hesitant to go to this system... I love it now.... Ed F

TJ

WKR
Another plus for the Neo-Air.

I ended up using a 1/8" Thinlight foam pad under the Neo-Air to stop the sliding.
The pad weighs 2.5 oz but was well worth it, also provides a little extra protection for the Neo-Air pad.

cmeier117

WKR
I have a neo air all season and really like it. The noise really isn't a big deal and I prefer horizontal baffles to vertical ones. My dad also has a nemo astro insulated it weighs more like 24 oz but it is a little thicker and very comfortable.

2rocky

WKR
+ 1 on Ed's recommendation on the BA bag with the sleeve. I'm a believer now after my second season with the Storm King.

OP
Rent Outdoor Gear

Rent Outdoor Gear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Appreciate all the input guys - great info as I hadn't seen any threads dedicated to sleeping pads. Going to see if I can get my hands on the BA and the Neo air at REI and make a final decision.

Thanks again!!

Coop

Wrongside

WKR
I'm an exped fan, on my 3rd one. Worth the weight and money

I love my Exped Downmat7. So comfortable, warm and durable. My Neoair has replaced it for all but the really late season and winter stuff though. The Exped is, IMO, a better mat, but the Thermarest is just so much lighter.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Whatever you do stay away from the thermarest prolite. Waste of money.

How so?? Spent a number of nights on just the prolite 3 short and used it as a chair for many many more nights in camp this year. Seems like a great piece to add to the kit.

In fact a Neo Air short and a prolite 3 short and a thermarest trekker chair combined to make the ultimate lightweight/versatile pad setup IMO. Kicks the crap out of a Exped UL or Big Agnes given the same weight. I'll take two lightweight pads, one that can be a chair and double as a pad for my legs and one that is for my torso than a single pad for as much or more weight.

Walker6

FNG
Neoair large is comfy. A little krinkly but the sound never woke me up. Definitely a little slippery with a slick bag, though.

The REI Stratus is a good economical option. Good weight to comfort ratio for me. I used it this year for about 14 nights with no issues!

dotman

WKR
How so?? Spent a number of nights on just the prolite 3 short and used it as a chair for many many more nights in camp this year. Seems like a great piece to add to the kit.

In fact a Neo Air short and a prolite 3 short and a thermarest trekker chair combined to make the ultimate lightweight/versatile pad setup IMO. Kicks the crap out of a Exped UL or Big Agnes given the same weight. I'll take two lightweight pads, one that can be a chair and double as a pad for my legs and one that is for my torso than a single pad for as much or more weight.

I think the z-lite is more comfortable and they are about the same thickness. You slide much less on the z-lite, now I'm going to add some silicon lines but for my first airpad I was not impressed. It really made me question why I move from foam other then it packs smaller.

I have a R size I'll sell yeah :). Think I'll move to a thicker ultralite.

vcb

WKR
I have been using the ba storm king w insul ac. Works for me. I have no problem sleeping on my side. 6'2" 200. Nice system and tons warm for archery elk here in co

I'm quite happy with a Therm-a-Rest Neoair xTherm that I picked up this year. I put quite a few days on it and it's really comfortable. A TON better than the old Prolite 3 (sold it) I had and quite a bit lighter than my BA Air Core (now sold.)

I'm quite happy with a Therm-a-Rest Neoair xTherm that I picked up this year. I put quite a few days on it and it's really comfortable. A TON better than the old Prolite 3 (sold it) I had and quite a bit lighter than my BA Air Core (now sold.)
i think i will be giving the xtherm a try vs my q core. if it passes that will shave 11oz

Yukondog

WKR
Used BA isulated core for years. Tried long wide exped synmat 7with this year and loved it. Saved a bunch of weight and slept very well. So good in fact I went ro the REI yard sale and picked up two more for $75 a piece. Reason they where return was because the buyer thought they where too thick. Ha, huge pick up for me at awesome price. Now me amd my two boys have top of the line pads at screaming deal. If it was in the teens I would recommend the downmats though.

Matt

I use the klymit static v uninsulated. It is very comfy, and weighs in at 18oz with patch kit. you can sleep on your side and it doesn't fail to support you.