Ultimate Lightweight AND Comfy Pad?!!!???

You mean a pound right :). My airpad is 16oz but I wasn't impressed with it at 1" thick it just didn't seem better then a foam pad. That thing will keep you warm for sure.

That Q-core is 24 oz so only 1/2 lb more than your airpad. Looks like a comfy pad...

Mike

slim9300

WKR
That Q-core is 24 oz so only 1/2 lb more than your airpad. Looks like a comfy pad...

Mike

Based on the specs from REI the short is actually 25 ounces. The regular is 27 ounces and the long that Salmo is getting is 29 ounces. I'm sure it's comfy but it's a tad heavy for me.

dotman

WKR
Based on the specs from REI the short is actually 25 ounces. The regular is 27 ounces and the long that Salmo is getting is 29 ounces. I'm sure it's comfy but it's a tad heavy for me.

Yeah I'm seeing the same weights, don't forget the 36oz hog mat :). The neoair xlite L is 16oz which in size is close to the 36oz ba pad http://www.rei.com/product/829851/therm-a-rest-neoair-xlite-sleeping-pad

So more like 1.5lbs :). If you look at the petite it is 8oz vs 25oz. Price is very comparable. R value diff of 1.8.

If needed the xtherm is 22oz at the same size as the 36oz ba with a R value of 5.7 http://www.backcountryedge.com/therm_a_rest-neoair-xtherm.aspx

Last edited:
Ah the link I checked from my phone said 25 oz I assumed it was the one Salmo had in mind. Yeah that is a bit heavy but they do look comfortable.

Mike

Mckinnon

WKR
I use the Q core due to recent back surgery, it is a bit heavier but it makes it worth it for me for sure. It is very comfortable.

Ah the nice thing about being short is cheaper prices. Haha good info. I myself am looking for a new pad too. For those that use "short" models, you put your coat or pack under your feet? Also, how far do some of you stick over?

jmez

WKR
I don't put anything under my feet. My pad stops right at my hips/butt basically. Legs aren't on it at all.

Craig4791

WKR
I'm 6'3" and use a regular pad with no issues (i use an air pillow and it goes off of the sleeping pad which keeps my whole body from the neck down on the pad) but I don't think I could do the short pad like you guys. Just seems like it would be uncomfortable trying to support your legs with clothes and what not.

slim9300

WKR
I'm 6'3" and use a regular pad with no issues (i use an air pillow and it goes off of the sleeping pad which keeps my whole body from the neck down on the pad) but I don't think I could do the short pad like you guys. Just seems like it would be uncomfortable trying to support your legs with clothes and what not.

I'm a tad over 6' 2" myself but I can't get comfortable like that. I use the large model Exped UL Air pillow and slip it into my sleeping bag hood. When I tried tying it on to my pad via the string loops and hanging it off the end, it was way too low for me. How did you prop it up and keep it from slipping? I'm starting to think that the bottom of my pillow needs some seam sealer dots like my pad has. :)

Craig4791

WKR
I typically use my air pillow inside the pillow pouch in the sleeping bag as well. Probably just a matter of personal preference, just like I have a hell of a time falling asleep on my back ( I'm a side sleeper).

I usually only use the pillow inside my bag when it gets colder though. In the summer months it just goes on the ground in front of my pad. For me as long as my head is a few inches higher than my body I'm fine. This is when I have trouble with it moving. Probably a good idea to throw a little silicone on the bottom for some more grip.

S

Salmo-Priest

Ah the link I checked from my phone said 25 oz I assumed it was the one Salmo had in mind. Yeah that is a bit heavy but they do look comfortable.

Mike

It is. But it is rated to 0 deg. So I can ditch my closed cell pad. The UL version is comfy and like 16oz but only a 15-20 degree rating.

slim9300

WKR
It is. But it is rated to 0 deg. So I can ditch my closed cell pad. The UL version is comfy and like 16oz but only a 15-20 degree rating.

Better idea...

Q-core SL actually looks amazing. The R-value of 4.5 and nearly 1" of extra thickness is unreal for weighing the same as the SynMat UL7 (R-value 3.1). That's about a 10 degree improvement in warmth / temp rating.

The 78" long mummy version is only 17 ounces! I think I found something new to go try. If Exped won't make a standard width long, I might have to stray a little. :)

https://www.bigagnes.com/Products/Specs/Pad

jonny5

Lil-Rokslider
I've used a BA bag with the BA Insulated Air core for the last handful of years. Just picked up the Neo-Air XTHERM in Large. Warmer, lighter and bigger! I'm excited to see how the combo works out!

What do you guys use for pillows? I tried some inflatable ones, but they aren't super comfortable. I've since switched to the thermarest compressible pillow. It's bulky, but sure helps me sleep better. Any other good recommendations that are not as bulky or heavy as the thermarest compressible pillow?

jonny5

trk3263

WKR
I have a neoair Xlite and xtherm. They are both awesome but be careful because the xtherm will cook you. I though you could never be to warm but I learned the hard way. The only complaint about these pads is if using a quilt the pad seems to have a sticky feel which can be conquered by wearing a thin base layer. I wear my merino base layer which seems to work true for low temps all the way to 80*.

I put a couple circles of seam sealer on the bottom of both my air pad and my bivy (if using a ground tarp). It works great to stop the sliding.

If you use the BA sleeve for your pad it works great but in colder weather at the lower limit of your bag don't use the sleeve. When you use the sleeve the pad holds your sleeping bag out away from your body and creates air pockets causing more body heat us to warm the air pockets. When you take the pad out of the sleeve you can pull the bag in close to your body and close off the air pockets.

focker34

Lil-Rokslider
I have a neoair Xlite and xtherm. They are both awesome but be careful because the xtherm will cook you. I though you could never be to warm but I learned the hard way. The only complaint about these pads is if using a quilt the pad seems to have a sticky feel which can be conquered by wearing a thin base layer. I wear my merino base layer which seems to work true for low temps all the way to 80*.

Does anyone sell a lightweight version of a fitted sheet for a sleeping pad that might alleviate the stickiness when laying directly on the pad?

Archelk

Lil-Rokslider
I use a NeoAir Xtherm. One of the warmest pads out there if not the lightest pad in it's R-value. I was hesitant at first because of claims of it being noisy. Bought it anyways and have never looked back. It is nowhere near as noisy as I thought it would be. Very comfortable. The new pads have a sticky type of coating on the top to prevent slippage but I still run beads of silicone down the pad to prevent slippage. Extremely warm. I am more of a side sleeper and this handles that duty with no problem. Very light pad and I was worried about how it would hold up but it's like any equipment you pay good money for---Take care of it and it will last a long time.

I used the Neoair Xlite, and loved it! It weighs a a scant 12 oz, and is surprisingly robust. That being said I wouldn't put it directly on the ground for fear of being popped. If also has a pretty good R-value for a light 3 season pad.