Under rated whitetails

I am thinking that whitetails are the under rated game species. I have been trying to get out West to go after the Western big game, but it seems that is going to be achievable every few years with the way tags and fees are going. I may just go back to solely pursuing Eastern whitetails and a few select places out West.

FLATHEAD

WKR
Maybe I've come full circle after hunting out West and AK a dozen times or so, but my all time favorite hunts are Eastern Whitetail in the Southern Appalachian Mtns. Crisp mornings with those beautiful fall colors just cant be beat.
Dang thats good stuff!!!
Told my wife this morning I was ready for Fall.
Not saying I wont be back out West, but I dont need it as bad as I used to.
Eastern Whitetails are a staple.

OP
F
I am going to have to o figure out Northern Min. from the looks of it.
It is just easier to go on hunts here in the East. The driving is not a full day for some really good states and I could go a few weekends in a row. I am in central WI now, so IA, IL, IN, MN, MI are all 3-10 hours.

Scottyboy

WKR
I am going to have to o figure out Northern Min. from the looks of it.
It is just easier to go on hunts here in the East. The driving is not a full day for some really good states and I could go a few weekends in a row. I am in central WI now, so IA, IL, IN, MN, MI are all 3-10 hours.
No need to leave WI to hunt here, northern MN has been struggling with piss poor DNR management, and wolves.

Applied for one Western tag this year. Watching the preference point pyramid scheme very quickly turned me back to almost exclusively pursuing the many incredible game hunting adventures in our home state.

manitou1

WKR
I wish they would make more liberal seasons and limits on them out here and treat them as the invasive species that they are. They are quickly replacing mule deer in many areas.

Maybe I've come full circle after hunting out West and AK a dozen times or so, but my all time favorite hunts are Eastern Whitetail in the Southern Appalachian Mtns. Crisp mornings with those beautiful fall colors just cant be beat.
Dang thats good stuff!!!
Told my wife this morning I was ready for Fall.
Not saying I wont be back out West, but I dont need it as bad as I used to.
Eastern Whitetails are a staple.
Depending on where you are in the Appalachian the hunting can be just as hard if not harder than some of the western hunts.

OP
F
So the most hunted game species is under rated?
I would say from the view of what people talk about more and are willing to take time off of work for. Western hunting is treated as more of a destination hunt. In the 80/90's there seemed to be a lot more media about whitetails. Now it is mostly about hunting in the West for iconic species. Nothing wrong with that. But you seldom hear of people talking about taking a trip to go hunt somewhere else for whitetail.

N2TRKYS

WKR
I would say from the view of what people talk about more and are willing to take time off of work for. Western hunting is treated as more of a destination hunt. In the 80/90's there seemed to be a lot more media about whitetails. Now it is mostly about hunting in the West for iconic species. Nothing wrong with that. But you seldom hear of people talking about taking a trip to go hunt somewhere else for whitetail.

I guess it depends on who you’re talking to. I hear more folks taking whitetail trips than going out West.

chocolab

Lil-Rokslider

I live in the northeast and there is still a lot of love for targeting midwest whitetails, bowhunting treestand type shit etc. but agree more and more I see folks going west. me too.

I am thinking that whitetails are the under rated game species. I have been trying to get out West to go after the Western big game, but it seems that is going to be achievable every few years with the way tags and fees are going. I may just go back to solely pursuing Eastern whitetails and a few select places out West.
I've had the same thought lately. My wife and I had a blast elk hunting last year, but with gas, draw odds and rising tag prices it seems hard to justify elk when you hunt deer a lot cheaper...but dang elk are cool

You are just not talking to the right people. Millions of people take time off to hunt whitetails. How many people do you think take the week off work to go to deer camp for the rifle opener east of the Mississippi? There are what, maybe 1M elk licenses sold total across the west. More people are hunting whitetails in just TX every year. Thousands of outfitters booked up hunting white tails. Then there is Canada.

No doubt the West is the place a lot of hunters are going but the popularity of whitetail hunting is not going to take a back seat to western hunting.

jimmy33

WKR
I love hunting whitetails so much that I usually hunt whitetails instead of mule deer in Idaho. Mule deer is definitely my passion but whitetails don’t necessarily take a backseat to them… would love to hunt Virginia or something like that one of these days but so far it has been cheaper for me to stay here in the west.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk