Utah makes it unlawful to report deadheads through April 30th.

Fatcamp

WKR
Me personally I had a tag in 2020 I think and went out multiple times in December and January in the west desert and eureka area. I know some dude the other day before the closure posted up a shed he had found and then a cougar he had shot with his spot and stalk tag.
I know a couple people who have done it in SD. Cut tracks, follow until you think you are close, run a call. Good luck.

OP
T

truehaun

FNG
I have had elk hunters mess up me deer hunting. Hikers, bikers, all sorts of things have messed up my hunt and I would never advocate for anyone of them to be banned. Shed hunting is not being banned, it is having a season put on it this year, the same with every other animal we hunt.

Ever watched or been to a RAC meeting or board meeting? How many times does it get brought up they stagger hunts to limit pressure and avoid conflict?

Do you think that the vast majority of people that want wolves in Colorado are hunters?
Would you want hikers or bikers to have a season put on them?
Staggering hunts does help limit pressure, but won’t the shed closure do the opposite? May 1st the whole states gonna be flooded worse than the rifle deer opener.
No the majority that want wolves are not hunters I’d imagine. My point of bringing that up is how can the state argue for closing shed hunting because it’s bad for the animals but then be in favor of reintroducing wolves.

Look i think if shed hunters are excluded everyone should be excluded. No public access.
I also don't believe in the if it saves one we should ban it theory often touted with gun control.
The same place another member said he saw some shed hunters coming out is also a popular snowmobile area. And ill be damnes if snowmobiles don't bother animals.
Fish and game usually counts and nets in the spring. Pretty sure catching a doe in a net and body slamming her is pretty stressful.

Regardless of that Rok is NOT a LEGAL advice forum. So should not be under any circumstances be asking for legal advice or clarification of anything on Rok, it WILL NOT hold up in court, So even if ever single swinging deek in the joint sided with you it doesn't mean squat.

If you have questions they should be to the enforcement agency.

OP
T

truehaun

FNG
The bottom line is this. Half the people complaining in Utah right now don’t really care about anything they say they care about. Half them haven’t shown up to make any changes. They have never said a word until February 7, 2023. The vast majority are not seeking to understand or clarify anything. It becomes evident the moment they start using straw man arguments.
We’re complaining because February 7th by decree one of our favorite pastimes became illegal for the next 3 months. Are people not allowed to complain about that? What should we have done before that?

CorbLand

WKR
Would you want hikers or bikers to have a season put on them?
Staggering hunts does help limit pressure, but won’t the shed closure do the opposite? May 1st the whole states gonna be flooded worse than the rifle deer opener.
No the majority that want wolves are not hunters I’d imagine. My point of bringing that up is how can the state argue for closing shed hunting because it’s bad for the animals but then be in favor of reintroducing wolves.
No, because they have a right to be out there. In this case, the DWR has not authority to stop people from recreating on the land. The agency that manages that land does. If the DWR could stop people from hiking, biking, skiing, etc. they would. They can stop people from shed hunting.

The State agency isn’t in favor of bringing wolves back. They are being forced.

Your doing a great job at proving my straw man argument claim in my last post.

CorbLand

WKR
We’re complaining because February 7th by decree one of our favorite pastimes became illegal for the next 3 months. Are people not allowed to complain about that? What should we have done before that?
Complain all you want. I support the shit out of that. I don’t support the people that are trying to mask their complaining behind “I care about the animals.”

If you truly cared about animals, you wouldn’t shed hunt until May every year.

What could of you done before? Have you ever in your life said a word about cougar hunters on the winter range before two days ago? Have you ever in your life said anything about people hiking, biking, skiing on winter range before two days ago? Have you ever take any of these concerns to the agencies that have authority to regulate them?

I am glad to see that you finally admitted your complaining and not “seeking to understand or trying to save people from doing something illegal” though.

Last edited:
OP
T

truehaun

FNG
No, because they have a right to be out there. In this case, the DWR has not authority to stop people from recreating on the land. The agency that manages that land does. If the DWR could stop people from hiking, biking, skiing, etc. they would. They can stop people from shed hunting.

The State agency isn’t in favor of bringing wolves back. They are being forced.

Your doing a great job at proving my straw man argument claim in my last post.
Why does the dwr allow cougar hunting and turkey hunting before may 1st? They have authority to close that and if they cared about the animals wouldn’t they postpone those seasons also? I’m sorry if I’m straw manning anything. Can you put your self in a shed hunters shoes and see how they feel?

This guy. lol. Go MT. lion (shed) hunting and see if it is enforceable. I got a quick solution for you bud... If you find a deadhead while hunting, during the closure, call the office and see how they want you to handle it. They may tell you to give them a location. Or better yet, send an email to the UTAH commissioners and ask them that very question before you go out. Seems easy...
If he sends them a location he’s broken the law. Right?

CorbLand

WKR
Why does the dwr allow cougar hunting and turkey hunting before may 1st? They have authority to close that and if they cared about the animals wouldn’t they postpone those seasons also? I’m sorry if I’m straw manning anything. Can you put your self in a shed hunters shoes and see how they feel?
Have you asked them why they allow it?

I am a shed hunter…

OP
T

truehaun

FNG
Complain all you want. I support the shit out of that. I don’t support the people that are trying to mask their complaining behind “I care about the animals.”

If you truly cared about animals, you wouldn’t shed hunt until May every year.

What could of you done before? Have you ever in your life said a word about cougar hunters on the winter range before two days ago? Have you ever in your life said anything about people hiking, biking, skiing on winter range before two days ago? Have you ever take any of these concerns to the agencies that have authority to regulate them?

I am glad to see that you finally admitted your complaining and not “seeking to understand or trying to save people for doing something illegal” though.
Are complaining and trying to understand mutually exclusive? And no I don’t complain about cougar hunters and hikers and bikers and skiers because I believe people should be able to do those things. I would never advocate closing those. I’m more libertarian on a lot of these issues. I never claimed I was trying to save anyone from doing anything illegal.

Last edited:

sneaky

"DADDY"
It's pretty simple really. They put a season on sheds just like everything else. Elk, deer, lions, bears. You going to advocate for doing all of those when you would like to? The way people lose their minds over an antler is mind boggling. Utah never disappoints in its quirks.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

@truehaun just give up

The majority of this forum are shed hunter haters.
It comes up this time every year.
I've almost been banned a couple times over it.

Just let it go man
The people that love it and hate it are just never gonna be on the same page. That's just the way it is and its not worth arguing over.

OP
T

truehaun

FNG
It's pretty simple really. They put a season on sheds just like everything else. Elk, deer, lions, bears. You going to advocate for doing all of those when you would like to? The way people lose their minds over an antler is mind boggling. Utah never disappoints in its quirks.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
I think shed hunting is a little different than hunting an actual animal. Are you going to start advocating we have to buy a shed hunting license and only be able to pick up 1 a year?

CorbLand

WKR
Are complaining and trying to understand mutually exclusive? And no I don’t complain about cougar hunters and hikers and bikers and skiers because I believe people should be able to do those things. I would never advocate closing those. I’m more libertarian on a lot of these issues. I never claimed I was trying to save anyone from doing anything illegal.
I would bet my life that there is only about 5% of you that really wants to “understand.” The rest is complaining with an attempt at hiding behind “trying to understand.” It’s why anytime someone makes a valid rebuttal, you attempt to take the discussion in another direction. It started as “thoughts” to “I want to understand” to “people shouldn’t have to fear doing something illegal” to “cougar hunts” to “wolves in Colorado” to “complaining.”

You disagree with the closing of shed season until May. Admit it and move on. At least at that point your being honest.

I like looking for sheds and I wish Utah would put a season on it permanently like Wyoming does.