UTV tires

So, I need some new tires for my Honda Pioneer 1000-5 and am really torn on which tire to throw on it. I am looking for opinions with real world experience on tires that are good or bad. I keep narrowing it down to ITP Blackwater Evolutions or Tusk Terrabites. Most of my driving is dirt roads with gravel and rocks. Very little mud riding unless I have to, haha, I hate cleaning mud off this thing. I know there are literally 100's of different tires out there and narrowing it down is tough. I am looking to either stay with 12" rims or might end up going to a 14" rim to get more tire options. I am thinking 28x10x12 or 14". Thanks for your guy's opinions

I have ran lots of atv tires and rarely use the same tire twice as I like to try new things. The blackwater will be my next tire. I think the best all around tire i have used is the itp mudlite radial xtr

I’ve heard nothing but good things about the Tusk Terrabites. Great all around tire for a very good price. Only downside to them is they don’t offer as many sizes as others do.

It’s what I’ll be upgrading my Honda Pioneer 700 tires to this year.

We just put BF Goodrich mud terrain T/A KM3’s 30/10/R15’s on our General4 last fall and they’ve been an awesome tire. They are bigger than what your looking for but they are a great UTV tire especially for rock traction. They handle snow and ice very well too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jbehredt

WKR
No complaints with my terrabites. Have a full season on them now. Blew an oem Carlisle tire and ruined a group ride as it wasn’t pluggable and don’t carry a spare. The people In the group who are in the know all agreed the terrabites would help avoid a repeat of the situation.

EasilyExcited

Lil-Rokslider
Get the 8ply version if possible. I have beat the crap out of my 8ply rocktanes and no holes yet

OP
H
I think both of the tires I mentioned are 8 ply. Seems like almost everyone who gets either of the 2 I listed are happy with them. My only concern with the terrabites are how stiff they are. I was thinking if I get those, I might get a 14" beadlock rim so I can air them down.

AZ8

WKR
I’ve heard good things about the Kanati Mongrel. I believe they are 10 ply rated. They offer a lot of sizes for more options. Im not ready yet, but I’ll be looking those over before I pull the trigger.

cbat

Lil-Rokslider
Mongrels are tough to beat. Sidewall is plenty tough. I know a crew in West Texas that run a dozen Polaris Generals and that's the first thing they do. Yank off factory tires and install the Kanati Mongrels.

AZ8

WKR
Those mongrels look pretty nice. I've heard they have spongy sidewalls. Any experience with them?
No experience yet. Current tires are still good to go. But a lot of guys here in Arizona run them and they’re pretty happy. Haven’t read of any issues with the sidewalls.

KSP277

WKR
I’ve got a 1000-5 deluxe, Has 1200 miles on it. If I blew all 4 out tomorrow I’d probably go back with whatever the stock ones are. We’ve had several Polaris on the farm and been around a few others, I take the Honda hands down. It’s freaky how well they stick to the ground. Love mine. I can’t imagine needing anything more tire wise than what’s on it. How many miles before you needed tires? I do see some pavement on mine but so far they’ve held up really well, just wondering what kinda mileage to expect.

wyosteve

WKR
I just got back from a Texas pig hunt and the outfitter had recently put the Kanati Mongrels and a lift kit on his Kawasaki Mule. It was a significant improvement from when we were there in Dec. and he had the stock tires on. As mentioned, they are 10 ply rated. Good sidewall support. Went through sand, mud, cactus, barbed wire and brush without a whimper. When it comes time to replace my tires, I'll go with the Mongrels.

Reactions: AZ8
I use 8 ply Roktane radials on my Polaris RZR and 8 ply Kendra Bear Claw radials on my Yamaha Grizzly ATV. I don't want a destroyed tire way back in on a caribou/moose hunt in BC. Both offer a decent ride, excellent traction and have proven to be tough. Both also a tread that is fairly flat across versus round, which seems to work well for the rocky, wet and mud terrain. Also the tread is more of a large knobby configuration versus farm tractor looking lugs. I had a set of Mudlite HR 8 ply radials on a Honda Rubicon quad and did not like how rough they rode on smoother forest roads. Same with a set of aggressive "MOTO" mud tires that came on my used RZR that were non radial.

Google "Chapparal ATV Tire Shootout" for interesting tests of 25" tires for hill climbing, mud, stopping and towing. I bought my Kendras thru them (shipped to MT) and liked the price and fast service.

Last edited:
OP
H
Seems like most utv tires get favorable reviews. Thanks for all the suggestions.

My pioneer has 1500 miles on the stock tires. They arent wore out, but are worn down.

chadchat

FNG
So, I need some new tires for my Honda Pioneer 1000-5 and am really torn on which tire to throw on it. I am looking for opinions with real world experience on tires that are good or bad. I keep narrowing it down to ITP Blackwater Evolutions or Tusk Terrabites. Most of my driving is dirt roads with gravel and rocks. Very little mud riding unless I have to, haha, I hate cleaning mud off this thing. I know there are literally 100's of different tires out there and narrowing it down is tough. I am looking to either stay with 12" rims or might end up going to a 14" rim to get more tire options. I am thinking 28x10x12 or 14". Thanks for your guy's opinions
I purchased 4 each Sedona Rip-Saw R/T 28x10-14 and after 1500 miles they are showing large cracks on the side walls of the tires. Some of these cracks our 2 to 3 inches long and a 1/8 to 3/16 of and inch wide. There is up to twenty cracks on two of the tires. i do not dare drive on these tires no longer. Please help as i have lots of miles left on the tread. i store my bike in my garage. SEDONA tire told me that it was a LACK OF PROPER CARE. I clean my tires after every use. DONT BUY WHATEVER YOU DO,YOU WILL BE STRANDED AND THEY DONT BACK THEIR TIRES.

Attachments

• IMG_8656.JPG
    IMG_8656.JPG
    484.2 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_8657.JPG
    IMG_8657.JPG
    323.2 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_8658.JPG
    IMG_8658.JPG
    314.9 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_8659.JPG
    IMG_8659.JPG