VORTEX VIPER VS LEUPOLD VX-3i in low light

RMajors

Lil-Rokslider
I have used Leupold scopes to hunt with for the last 30 years (or more) to hunt with. I have never once been disappointed by them, especially their performance in those important dawn and dusk light conditions. I've read lots of mixed reviews on the glass quality of the Vortex Viper line. I have found a smoking deal on a 4-16x44 30mm Viper HS, and would like to hear from some people who have used both Leupolds and the Viper series in low light conditions and get an honest opinion of how they stack up. My current hunting scope of choice is a VX-3i 4.5-14x50 30mm tube, and I love it. If I get the Viper it will be for a Remington Police 308 that pulls double duty as a hunting and target rifle that has a Nikon monarch 4-16 on it, which i do not care for. Any input will be appreciated.

I have a Viper in 6.5-20x50. The only reason I bought it was that it was on closeout for $206. My Leupold VX-II 3-9x40 kicks its butt in optical quality. "Light transmission" is oft misunderstood. It doesn't take much scope to deliver more light than the average human eye can process. I am glad I didn't pay any more for the Viper than that.

OP
RMajors

RMajors

Lil-Rokslider
I have a Viper in 6.5-20x50. The only reason I bought it was that it was on closeout for $206. My Leupold VX-II 3-9x40 kicks its butt in optical quality. "Light transmission" is oft misunderstood. It doesn't take much scope to deliver more light than the average human eye can process. I am glad I didn't pay any more for the Viper than that.
Thanks, this is exactly what I wanted to know. I didn't mean to get technical about light transmission, just how the scope performed compared to the awesome dusk and dawn vision the Leupold gives me.

C.payne

WKR
I have had a Vortex Viper and since then have had 2 VX3’s there is no comparison in optical clarity and light transmission in low light. Leupold is superior. That being said Vortex‘s warranty is stellar, but for similar price point I will take the Leupold every time.

HiRidge

FNG
Bought a Leupold VX-Freedom for my wife's .308. I believe the Freedom replaced the VX-ll line but it is heads and tails above the Viper I have on one of my guns as far a clarity goes especially in low light.

nobody

WKR
Leupold every day of the week and twice on weekends. Significantly clearer. Until you get into the American Made AMG, the glass quality in the Vortex is abismal relative to everything else in the price class.

Plus your leupold's won't live in the mail getting warranty work done two or 3 times a year, whereas Vortex will have your scopes back at HQ in Wisconsin more than you will. Vortex has the best warranty in the business that you'll ALWAYS have to use.

OP
RMajors

RMajors

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for all the replies, the fact that 100% of you guys have said the same thing confirms my suspicions that vortex glass is not as good as Leupold. 90% of my scopes I've owned have been Leupolds. For hunting they will continue to be Leupolds, might give a vortex a try for a target gun or something like that.

mlgc20

WKR
My daughter had the Leupold VX-3i 4.5-14x40 on her 308. She just took down a cow last week from 250 yards in the last 10 minutes of shooting light. The scope performed perfectly as it has for several years now. A buddy of mine has the Vortex Viper. Wouldn’t switch to that in a million years.

OP
RMajors

RMajors

Lil-Rokslider
My daughter had the Leupold VX-3i 4.5-14x40 on her 308. She just took down a cow last week from 250 yards in the last 10 minutes of shooting light. The scope performed perfectly as it has for several years now. A buddy of mine has the Vortex Viper. Wouldn’t switch to that in a million years.
Yes sir, I'm a firm believer in Leupold scopes. I remember like it was yesterday the first time I looked at a deer right before dark with an old VX-2, and it was like turning on a light switch. I think I was 8 years old, hunting with a .284 Winchester. That deer fell to a clean heart shot. I can't remember hunting with any other brand of scope in 30 odd years ince then. I was just hoping maybe I could get by with a vortex for a target rifle that gets hunted with occasionally. But you guys have let me know that the scope would just disappoint me. I'll just bite the bullet and but another Leupold.

JakeM51

FNG
The Leupold has better glass. The viper will have better tracking. Leupold glass will beat vortex until you get into the razor line, then it’s pretty subjective as to what exact qualities you are looking for in the glass.

I have both the Leupold vx-3i 2.5-10 and the vortex viper hst 4-16. I would give the edge optically to the leupold. Vortex has a great warranty and nice features but my next scope will be a leupold. The glass is better in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I haven't looked thru a VX3i but I do have a couple Viper scopes. This last summer, while on a 7 day bear hunt with my dad, I was able to compare my Viper HS 4-16x44, to his VX5hd 3-15x56. The results of that comparison are what you'd expect. Yes, the Leupold is definitely clearer and brighter, but the Viper is good enough to find and kill an animal at whatever range you can manage.
I've had no issues shooting 0.79 - 1.2 moa groups (factory ammo), out to almost 400 yds on my property. It repeatedly dials elevation accurately and the wind-holds on the reticle make life easy. I haven't used the BDC because I prefer to dial. I will say the BDC reticle is a bit thick, which is great for hunting and targets at intermediate ranges. I don't know if it would be a problem at 600+ yds or not.
With that said, as far as low light goes, we both lost sight through our scopes within 5 minutes of each other, every single night of that hunt. In the moments preceding total darkness, would he be able to make out more details on an animal? I'd expect so! However, I dont evaluate animals with my riflescope, I do that with my binos or spotter. All I'm saying is, my $300 Viper HS hung in there almost as long as his $950 Leupold. The Viper's reticle is thicker than his Leupold's, which definitely helps in low light.
Anyways, that's my .02!

I think the vx3i you almost need to be comparing to the razor LH line which probably doesn't match up in pricing and is discontinued. I've got a vx3 2.5-8x36 that came on a rifle I picked up at a pawn shop. It is easily as nice of glass as the Razor LHT 3-15x42 I put on my hunting rifle this year. If you do want the ability to dial, the LHT is a sweet scope and there are some decent deals on it atm.

Ian_Mac

FNG
I haven't looked thru a VX3i but I do have a couple Viper scopes. This last summer, while on a 7 day bear hunt with my dad, I was able to compare my Viper HS 4-16x44, to his VX5hd 3-15x56. The results of that comparison are what you'd expect. Yes, the Leupold is definitely clearer and brighter, but the Viper is good enough to find and kill an animal at whatever range you can manage.
I've had no issues shooting 0.79 - 1.2 moa groups (factory ammo), out to almost 400 yds on my property. It repeatedly dials elevation accurately and the wind-holds on the reticle make life easy. I haven't used the BDC because I prefer to dial. I will say the BDC reticle is a bit thick, which is great for hunting and targets at intermediate ranges. I don't know if it would be a problem at 600+ yds or not.
With that said, as far as low light goes, we both lost sight through our scopes within 5 minutes of each other, every single night of that hunt. In the moments preceding total darkness, would he be able to make out more details on an animal? I'd expect so! However, I dont evaluate animals with my riflescope, I do that with my binos or spotter. All I'm saying is, my $300 Viper HS hung in there almost as long as his $950 Leupold. The Viper's reticle is thicker than his Leupold's, which definitely helps in low light.
Anyways, that's my .02!
Finally a non coolaid drinking response…you nailed it. Yeah the leupold maybe slightly better but I’ve seen the same comparison at dusk the viper keeps up almost as good and to top it off i trust the tracking more on the viper than any leopold which is a massive deal breaker, but I also shoot extreme ranges and dial which maybe a lot of people do not do? I am not a vortex fan boy but I have used one extensively for 10 years and never lost an animal nor found it lacking where I couldn’t hit an animal in low light. It would be nice for Americans to keep it real, they’re so in love with themselves and something being Made in America that they loose all sense of objectivity, I pity in some ways.