Western KS solo public land archery deer hunt

OP
Dos Perros
If anyone wants to follow along with some more videos I’m putting them on my Insta story @sons_of_the_sod

OP
Dos Perros
Anyone want to take a guess on gross score of that tall buck I posted earlier? He’s as wide as his ears or thereabouts. He was with a buck I’d say is 145 gross, so I’m thinking 155 but maybe bigger.

Here’s an additional pic:

ddd96437b29c66621e3de397b1a2dab9.jpg

jmav58

WKR
Anyone want to take a guess on gross score of that tall buck I posted earlier? He’s as wide as his ears or thereabouts. He was with a buck I’d say is 145 gross, so I’m thinking 155 but maybe bigger.

I think you’re in the 155” mark.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Dos Perros
Alright folks, back at it. There was freezing rain last night and again this morning making for stressful driving. I’m on 5/32” of tread and an intermittently working heater blower fan so bear with me. Visibility is much improved but minimal deer movement (did spot some does in milo: they were bedded, stood up to feed, then bedded back down). However spirits are high as I burned some Chase UR points and got a hotel last night, also ate an entire large pizza, quite a feat considering I’m only about 140 pounds right now.

I’m going to do something I don’t normally do and knock on a door and try to get a permission.

Laramie

WKR

That deer will gross over 160", easily. He has more mass than I think some will give him credit for. Look at the size of his eye and then compare the mass again. My best guess is 165.

OP
Dos Perros
Well as predicted today was mostly a bust. Freezing rain in the AM, deer not moving and only glassed up some does.

Did get a permission where I think the big dude is bedding. I’ve decided to call him Julius because he’s always hanging with this weird 2 point (Vincent).

Made a strong move and setup camp (tipi and stove), committing to the area and really that one buck. Saw another couple decent bucks driving around and I’ll try to get that permission tomorrow.

This evening was indeed magic. Quail, prairie chickens, tons of mallards, and deer feeding hard on the grain; just no Julius. The moon was epic. Love walking out and having the moon cast a shadow. I’m a chronic doubter but I’ve been convinced a dozen times by nights like tonight that there is a creator and we are living in His masterpiece.

OP
Dos Perros
Saw one of my target bucks this morning. The ice on the ground was too crunchy to try to intercept. I think he may have shed an antler while I was watching him.

OP
Dos Perros
Well that didn’t work. Ground still too crunchy.

Think I’ll go back to camp and fire up the stove and listen to the new Taylor Swift album.

OP
Dos Perros
Well hold on, maybe it did work. Bumped a buck but he didn’t know what it was and he came back and should bed again soon in a stalkable location.