What bladder are you using?

Okay, I have a question for you veterans. Let's say I have a T2 and I use it for day-hunt mode, what 2 bladders do I get for hunting if I leave one in camp? I don't want to lug 6L of water all day and I don't want to dump out treated water to lighten my load. Also, why is the Hydromedary harder to clean than a Dromedary? Regular or Light? Great thread, by the way.

Mike7

WKR
The 4 L Drom-Lite fits nicely in the T2 water bladder pocket, but it sounds like a 6 L fits well also (haven't tried it personally). The Drom-Lite should last longer than the platypus (I've had the platypus get brittle and did not like that), but I haven't had the Drom-Lite long to know for sure. My old 10 L reg Drom bag has been bombproof however.

The thing I like about carrying the larger 4-6 L Drom-lite in the T2 is that you have that capacity if needed and it is so easy to pop the bag out to fill while leaving your hydration tube in place attached to your pack. Get the Drom-lite with separate attachable hydration tube (I think the harder cleaning comment must have been in reference to the "Hydromedary" system with tube already attached?).

Lawnboi

WKR
Okay, I have a question for you veterans. Let's say I have a T2 and I use it for day-hunt mode, what 2 bladders do I get for hunting if I leave one in camp? I don't want to lug 6L of water all day and I don't want to dump out treated water to lighten my load. Also, why is the Hydromedary harder to clean than a Dromedary? Regular or Light? Great thread, by the way.

1. You could lug it around, it dosnt NEED to be full. You could fill it with 3 liters or whatever you desired amount of water is for the day, then at the end of the day on the way back to camp fill it up and have enough water to eat, ect and still have some ready to go in the morning. I use a 2l and 6l. All depends on the amount of water around on which one is in the pack.

2 The hydromedary is harder to clean because the hose dosnt disconnect and the cap is at the top. On the drom bags w/ hose you can take the cap off to dry your hose, and hang it, the opeining is big enough to get a few fingers in and really dry out under the cap. I usually take my drom bags, hang them on a hanger w/ caps off, and put a fan on them. Along with hanging the hose on the curtain. They dry easier then any other bladder iv used.

3 Thats up to you. The lite is already more heavy duty then all other bladders iv seen, but the regualar is bullet proof!!! May just want to mix it up, get 1 lite and 1 regular.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I carry a 6L DromLite empty until I get to camp, then fill it up and keep it in camp. My 3L platypus is what i use to day hunt with and what not.

Mike7

WKR
To dry out the Drom/DromLite bladders, I have just twisted up some paper towels and shove them down through the opening into the bladder (leave the end sticking out) so that the walls aren't touching when you hang it. The towels seem to wick the water up quickly and allow for good ventillation, so that drying occurs pretty quickly.

OP
ohhiitznik
I'm going to pick up a 4 L MSR Dromedary for my bladder. I like to drink a lot of water. And I like how bulletproof my 10L is. So when packing and having it smashed by things I know that MSR Dromedary will stand up to it.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
I use a 4L DromLite bladder with the hose kit. I carry this in my pack every where I go. I supplement it with the 96oz Nalgene Wide-Mouth Cantene. I typically have to replace these every couple of years, but they are light and easily rolled up and stored. I either fill it for the haul to someplace where there is no water, or use it as my in camp water storage.

When I have more of a base camp set up I also use the Katadyn Base Camp Water Filter. Its a nice hanging option for the right occasion.

gil_wy

Lil-Rokslider
Platy 3L Big Zip as well... easiest to clean and more importantly dry out than any other I have used!