What caliber(s)?

LightFoot

WKR
338 Fed shooting 160 TTSXs at 3000fps is a nice thumper for what you describe. Or, any one of many great 200gn bullets at 2650-2700.
Do you have a 338 Federal? I have been thinking on one of these in a lightweight for a while. Kimber made a few in the Montana that would be awesome with a ultralight or fixed leupold.

160 or 185 grain would be hell on deer, elk, antelope, etc. I would even poke a Grizzly with it given the opportunity.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

prm

WKR
I currently have two 338 Federals. An 84M and a T3X Lite I just had rebored. I’ve used the 84M on hogs, deer, elk, kudu, impala, waterbuck, blesbok, and gemsbok. For how I hunt, it’s a fantastic cartridge. Basically shoots bullets of the same weight, the same velocity as a 30-06. I’ve never been disappointed with the performance of 338 bullets hitting critters. The 160 TTSX is really impressive!

Fishmaster196

Lil-Rokslider
I have three rifles (other then the obligitory .22’s and .223’s and a 30/30 model 94) .
I have a .308 TC Dimension (Ugly but a shooter) it is minute of angle with just about any thing I feed it. It has an older Weaver Grand Slam 3-9 on it.
I have a model 70 Winchester SS classic in .300WSM with a Leupold 4.5 to 14 CDS that is .5 to .75 all day long and a Kimber Mountain Ascent in 30-06 with a 4.5 to 14 Leupold that I haven’t figured out yet.
Either of the first two both have taken multiple deer and bear. Either one I would be ok with being the only “big game” rifle I had for what I hunt.
I really want the Kimber 30-06 to work out. It feels good carrying it and eventually I think I’ll find a round (factory) that works for it.

Do you reload or will you be using factory ammo?? That is a major factor in cartridge/bullet selection that can then drive your selection of rifles.

If you aren't reloading then I would stick with a cartridge that has a large following and a large choice of quality ammunition available at most sporting goods stores. To me this rules out cartridges like 280ai, 7/08, 260, etc.

It would be hard to top a solid factory rifle like a Tikka or Browning Xbolt in 300wsm. Ammo... really good ammo is readily available. You can find light weight, reduced loads for deer/lopes and go up to 180s for elk etc. No such thing as being over gunned... especially with an animal like an elk. Sure the 6.5cm kills elk but if I'm making a choice to pursue them I'm taking something larger.

It will be MORE than you need out to 350... but if you get the bug... and many do.. and you want to stretch out well beyond that you will not be undergunned.

I'll be the odd guy here. I've been using 2 different Bergara rifles this spring for mid-range shooting (400-700 yds). One is a hunter in 7mm-08 and one is a Ridge in 30-06. Both shoot well under an inch at 100 yds, and maintain sub MOA too 700. Not extremely light, but not heavy either. Stocks are great on both, action is smooth, and recoil feels like less than "light" rifles in similar categories.

Thomas11

WKR
Been researching this myself but if that’s your max range for elk I’d get the 6.5 PRC w/o a doubt. It’s a step up from the creed and will be devastating for deer and good enough for elk.

16Bore

WKR
The Kimbers I had shot well, but not Tikka well. 270 and a case of 129 LRX’s and you ain’t gonna want for much.

SCHEZSHEK

FNG
Eastern WT to Western BG definitely fluctuates

... being said and the 2K Umbrella, Tikka SL, SWFA variable, # / " BallPark, and .26 to .28 on Bullets Flavor

Would hardly limit the 350YRDs', but RangeTime is just that...