What do you do for a living?

northernalpine

Lil-Rokslider
Pursue 2-legged critters and generally cause trouble on behalf of this great nation. Some directly translates to hunting, but that same duty has also pulled me away from many a year of my preferred hunting seasons.

Out of curiosity. What are your rates? Those self loading trucks come down and get my walnut logs. When there is more than one load at a time they send one self loader and the rest flatbeds and let the boom truck load the flatbed and then themselves. Most of my loads are 200-230 miles and cost $850-$900. I thought it was pretty cheap freight. But maybe that's normal.
Thats definitely on the cheap side for up here! Of course there’s a lot that goes into the rate like miles of dirt road vs paved and number of passes or towns etc. but I’d say I’m closer to $800 for 100 miles. My goal on work days is to gross 2k before I park the truck and that typically means I’ve put on 400 - 500 miles

KsRancher

WKR
Thats definitely on the cheap side for up here! Of course there’s a lot that goes into the rate like miles of dirt road vs paved and number of passes or towns etc. but I’d say I’m closer to $800 for 100 miles. My goal on work days is to gross 2k before I park the truck and that typically means I’ve put on 400 - 500 miles
Thanks. Your rates are more in line with what I would expect. I don't see how these guys do a 400-460 mile round trip for $850-$900

gbflyer

WKR
Own my own job in small scale civil construction and supply. I don’t have time to hunt or scout more than once or twice every couple of years. Pride of ownership…right????

These GUYS could use your services.

Eddie

P.S. Not trying to be too much of a smart azz here but this was my first thought when I saw your post. :)
Yea that would be a fun storm to walk in to that's for sure! It's everywhere these days... more of a when, not if - I just help the business weigh and calculate risk and protect what I can ;-)

Civil Engineer for the Department Of the Interior. Plenty of vacation/sick time and I have the ability to rack up credit hours that can be used as vacation. Used to work in the private sector but made the change after starting a family. Sometimes project deadlines unfortunately hit during hunting season but I can always get away for at least a long weekend. Living in a western state means I can take the family out for camping trips and scout new areas and make it fun for everybody.

Lowg08

WKR
Power contractor. Foreman for a major projects reconductor crew. Wages are great. Vacation time sucks. 100 hours vacation but I do have a 4 day weekend every other week. On call 8 weeks a year. Would love more vacation time.

Healthcare leadership. I get humped up and down the hospital for most of the year. Allows me to not feel guilty when I take PTO in the Spring for fly fishing and the fall for hunting. I tend to work while on PTO too. But I make it all work.

Research engineer with a good vacation time plan. WFM has also enabled alot of flex time opportunities. That gives me the time off. On top of that I do some writing for different magazines and own a woodworking business geared towards taxidermy pedestals, displays, etc. Keeps me busy but gives me the extra funds to travel/hunt.

TR175

FNG
What do you do for a living and how does it benefit / hurt your ability to scout, hunt and plan?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
District sales manager. I drive all over the west but don’t get to see much of my hunting areas since I am working all the time. I have used the travel to my advantage a few times to see new country/units.

Azone

WKR
Fix broken things for a mining company. Having a rotating 5 5 4 schedule leaves half the year off for me to do what I want if I don’t want to work OT. Saves a lot of PTO. Beats the hell out of the all day, everyday that the ag world can be.

hicountry1

Lil-Rokslider
Engineer for a large Defense Contractor.

Officially, an Engineering Program Manager, i.e I herd cats for a living.....aka a team of engineers.

I earn 5 weeks of tme off year, so I usually don't have a problem getting time off, unless the US Navy calls.

Dr Evil

FNG
I run a team of enterprise software architects. Engineering nerd myself ;)

Unlimited PTO but it comes with a catch that most of us work far more than we would if we had 3-5 set weeks of vacation.