What do you use for backcountry communications

bracer40

Lil-Rokslider
Used the Inreach during last years elk hunt for first time. Great interface w cellphone. Gave me great piece of mind being able to communicate w home in a no cell signal area for 10 days.
Prior to that, used the garmin rhino for communications with hunting partners, but even that had some shortcomings..

TJ

WKR
Inreach here as well. That way I can let my wife know everything is OK and SAR is not needed.

gbflyer

WKR
why do you use the inreach instead of something like a SPOT? Not arguing, just curious. Tnx.

Spot uses the Globalstar array of satellites. They have some issues. Sometimes it’s :20 between birds. Also they are a bunch of chickenshits in the billing department. SPOT is the only thing holding them together as their sat phones are worthless, at least here in AK.

The InReach uses Iridium satellites. They seem to be everywhere. Unit now owned and supported by Garmin. They’re not going anywhere.

WTFJohn

WKR
Inreach/Inreach Mini (I carry either, not both. Both paired to my phone, Mini to my Garmin Instinct watch as well). For me, the Inreach has replaced the ACR beacon that I used to carry.

aqn0DRS.jpg

ai8qiXg.jpg

InReach.

I just powered mine on for the first time in a year. It had about 95% charge when I put it away, if I recall correctly, and still had 87%.

brsnow

WKR
Inreach for me, buddies of mine said it was difficult to get satellite connections with spot in deep timber. That influenced my decision

Northernpiker

WKR
Classified Approved
I see that a lot of you use the inreach with your phone, do you need your phone also or just makes it easier. I don't really want a phone along.

IdahoHntr

WKR
A lot of guys choosing the Inreach because it has 2 way communication ability over the SPOT, but SPOT has 2 way communication devices as well. Anybody have any experiences with SPOT 2 way devices? I'm specifically thinking of the SPOT-X? I've heard less reliable satellites for the SPOT like gbflyer mentioned, but have also heard that if you aren't leaving the lower 48 their system is just as reliable..

JohnnyB

WKR
Inreach mini since it came out. Love it. Some of my friends enjoy a text with the link to a map so they can hunt vicariously through me while they are at work. They all know me well enough to know that I don't have any honeyholes so I have nothing to hide.

BlackOvis has the Rokslide 10 discount available with the Inreach Mini. I couldn't find it any cheaper than that.

Firehole Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
inReach explorer+ but don't know about the Mini. Seems to have everything but maps as the Explorer which aren't all that great anyway. I use my phone and Gaia maps. Like the lighter weight and $100 less in price but I already have the explorer.

jmez

WKR
Don't need the phone but if you get a mini it is a major PITA to try to type a message without a phone. You will want to stick to pre loaded messages.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

2 years of in reach and phone, zero problems, good battery life. Nice part is wife knows where I am which is very handy when somewhere new, she can watch my waypoints on computer and suggest glassing spots and drainages to watch

lvtuna

FNG
I use a Garmin Inreach explorer +. I sync it to my tablet when using the GPS. The screen is to small for me to read without glasses. The unit is great for communication. I have preset messages. 1) checking in all ok. 2) Everything is okay, going to be late. 3) Come get me, need some assistance. Then there is the SOS message for SAR to come. I text with it. Which is easy for me. I use a flip phone. When you send a message. The message will include your location. Super easy to use.