What happened to OnX this year?

Son and I used Onx for 13 days straight with no issues in September. He down loaded maps for off line use as we where ready to turn off the hard road. Sounds like we where the lucky ones.

live4him

FNG
Man I agree... last year I tried basemap a bit just couldn’t get used to it compared to OnX. This year with all the changes, it just wasn’t as user friendly I felt. The new 3D is nice now. But many of the other changes haven’t been great for me or maybe my phone. Who knows. I may trial basemap a again for my hunt in a few weeks again. Plus it’s way cheaper. Just sux with all my waypoints on onX

I used OnX and Gaia in CO this year. No problem with either.

Anyone else find that Onx drains battery’s much quicker than Gaia on airplane mode? This is primarily the only reason I use Gaia once in the field, use ONX as reference from all my GE scouting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ulysses23

FNG
I had a similar experience. My waypoints remained but my saved maps were blank green pixelations. A good reminder of Murphy’s law when it comes to tech and electronics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rclouse79

WKR
I started using it a couple years ago and love it. I didn’t notice any glitches this year. For $30 a year it is some of the best spent money in my opinion.

Ono

FNG
Android. If I left a track running while I sat for a while, whole thing would lock up. I 3 finger saluted the phone multiple times. I have also noticed that sometimes it will not record a track when it says it is. I just used earthmate imagery after that since it was better anyways.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

This was the first year I tried OnX while on a buddies hunt. Initially it seemed like a neat app, but as I used it more, I was not a big fan. I prefer the free topo maps I have uploaded to my Garmin instead as they were easier to read. The big issue I have is "No Ownership Data" shown for known private property that's been there for decades. Land was not posted no trespassing, and the gate was unlocked (even though it looked locked at a glance). There was no way to know whether we could hunt it, couldn't look up the ranch or owner via NMG&F since OnX gave no data. Ultimately did not go in. OnX should easily be able to download the e-Plus data from NMG7F and show, in real time on the maps, what's legal and not legal to hunt (who choose RO and who is unit-wide).
Saw a bull (beef) that was seriously hurting, and wanted to call the rancher. No phone numbers or contact info, What good is the ownership data other than listing ranch name?
There were several user things I hated about OnX. For example, if I have a map set to rotate with me (North isn't always up), and I touch the map to zoom or set a waypoint, it immediately reverts right back to North is up. This makes is much tougher to set distant way points. Usability just wasn't there...I have no plans to renew my subscription in the future.
I'm running an IPhone 7 with 32GB of storage. I have had issues with OnX in past years (offline maps not downloading, mostly due to limited storage on my phone) and earlier this spring, whenever I switched to a different app with the Tracker feature on, it would say I had traveled to (0° N, 0° W), then back to my original path whenever I opened it back up. However, since updates in July, I have had zero issues.

JLane, I have gotten the "No Ownership Data" message before as well. I don't know if this is the situation for you, but that would always happen when I was zoomed too far out. Try zooming in until you can see the individual property boundaries and select the property again. Hope that helps!

Every time I experience slow loading, especially with multiple layers on, it's because I'm using data. If you are having issues, go offline and put your phone in airplane mode. My phone battery is pretty much shot, but I am usually able to make it a full day with OnX open in my pocket a significant part of the day. Also, get a good battery pack that can recharge your phone three times or so. It's great for recharging other stuff too!

I'm looking forward to how the 3D performs, because so far I have had to switch between Google Earth and OnX when E-scouting on my laptop. Plus, it will be helpful in the field. I'll be checking out GoHunt's maps too.

sveltri

WKR
I had no issues this year related specifically to OnX. However, I did have to restart my phone several times this season to get the compass to re-calibrate, Earthmate, Basemap, and OnX all were susceptible to the compass issues I had. Maybe I am just used to the OnX platform, but so far its the one that best suits me.

OP
J
OP here. I was running andriod S10, and had no problems with OnX in 2019 (s7) in CO. I think it was all the upgrades they did that screwed me over. I had everything ready to roll when I left TN, got into the middle of CO and OnX took a dump. I actually like the app, like the share function so that my brother and I can see the same waypoints, etc., just wish they would give you a tighter topo and more functionality. I hope by next elk season they iron things out. I will probably try offline maps and see if I can make it work.

FYI: Don't trust the trails on OnX, half the time they are not where they are supposed to be or don't actually exist. We now have a running joke about trying to find one of these trails and ending up in the bottom of a ravine crossing a river at 4am...

JLane330

Lil-Rokslider
JLane, I have gotten the "No Ownership Data" message before as well. I don't know if this is the situation for you, but that would always happen when I was zoomed too far out. Try zooming in until you can see the individual property boundaries and select the property again. Hope that helps!
Thanks for the tip, I appreciate the help. Unfortunately I got the same message using both the phone app (I had good cell service) and my Garmin Rino with the OnX chip. This has happened at several private land chunks in this area, yet others definitely show ownership data (Name is about all). I'd estimate these pieces of land to be at least 40 acres, some have to be hundreds, so they aren't some small obscure pieces.

I'm using Android on my Pixel 3.

I have only really used OnX without any issues, but want to try GAIA. Anyone have opinions on BaseMap?

Never update the app during a hunt if it's already working well. I've learned that lesson the hard way two times (iPhone). Lots of crashing, won't drop a waypoint, won't keep a track. Pure shit. I'm really excited for the GoHunt app.

tdhanses

WKR
Ive never liked GAIA. OnX is a much better user interface, although i have had an issue or two in the past.
Guess you just have to decide what‘s more important, pretty interface or product that works 🤔. I dumped onX years ago due to it missing many LO names vs Gaia having them. I’ve yet to have an issue with Gaia in the field. I will agree OnX does have a more modern interface.

I also like paying $39.99 a year for all states and the same if not more layers then OnX plus I can add my own layers.

I also like that Gaia works with Apple car play, just a nice extra.

Last edited:

Drifter

FNG
I have ran Onx for a few years now and it has been great until this year. I have had all these same issues and the updates haven't corrected any of them.

aron

WKR
I'm in the camp of OnX sucked this year too. Property boundaries wouldn't show up until zoom out so far and constantly having to close the app and restart to get my proper location. Very frustrating.

Maybe instead of rolling out a 3D map platform, they should expel those resources to the 2D platform first. And also no large software updates in September as they always seem to do.