What hunt doesn’t interest you?

Copen1822

Lil-Rokslider
Man some of you guys are picky!

I'll hunt anything I have the opportunity to in whatever manner works best.

I've hunted all over the west and midwest and certainly have species and methods I prefer but everything has something to offer. Maybe it's the country, the hunting style, the people you're hunting with, or the animal itself. There's always something to learn and enjoy.

I can't in a million years imagine how someone who enjoys hunting could turn down a bear, Mt. Lion, sheep, duck, or African hunt?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

FLS

WKR
I try not to have concrete opinions on subjects I’m ignorant about. I’ve done a few hunts I don’t care to do again, and a few I see a lot of misinformation about.
Alligators. Did it with a bow twice when our season first opened. Just frog gigging on a bigger scale. Felt like an asshole for killing a 100 year old predator that really doesn’t do anything more harmful than eat lapdogs on golf courses.
Prairie dogs. Did it. Regret it. Dont see the allure of using a living thing as a target of opportunity.
Long range hunting. Done it. Would have actually been a hunt at a third of the distance. Two things really bother me. How much game is “missed” only to wander off and die without being recovered and taking multiple shots to kill an animal then bragging about the distance. FWIW I’m an avid LR shooter.
Bears. I’ve killed one bear, and that’s probably enough. Very limited opportunity Coastal Bear tag here in South Carolina. Wouldn’t mind a hound hunt in the mountains. That’s the way my ancestors did it.
Hunting game in front of dogs. Love wing shooting over a good dog. Rabbits in front of beagles is a lot of fun. I’ve hunted deer in front of dogs. They don’t herd them to the hunters, simply make them move. Other than the native Americans using bows and spears it’s probably the oldest traditional method of hunting in NA. Development, and competition between hunters competing for a limited resource are killing it quickly. Hunters are more than willing to screw each other over to further their own agenda.
Guides. I see them as a necessity for some activities. I don’t own a float plane, or a bunch of pack animals and buying a sport fishing boat for 2-3 offshore trips a years seems a bad return on investment.
I’ve watched hunting change a lot in my lifetime. I wonder how many would still do it if they couldn’t post the pics on social media or attempt to profit from product placement. Whose polyester clothes are going to be “ The Shit” this year???

At this point in my hunting life, the only thing I really care about is hunting elk in the western states. Although, if I’m being honest, I will hunt just about anything if the situation arises. But, there a few hunts that just don't interest me. If they work for you, great. No offense intended.

Shed hunting
Trapping
Turkey
Alaska
Tree stand

Anything I am not going to eat and anything that is not fair chase. For me that includes shooting an elk with a rifle over a few hundred yards, seems ridiculous to drive around on a sxs, waiting for an elk to pop out at 600 yards so I can get out with my shooting sticks and take a poke at it.

I think duck hunting gets a bad rap because there is a large contingent that don't take it seriously. I have re-introduced a good number of people to it, that had never appreciated it before. Growing up on the upper Mississippi we had access to unlimited public river/marsh that we scouted, had spots for every weather situation and depending on where the migration was, get out early to hold the spot, set out a large number of decoys and have flocks decoying in. Living out west I know a lot of guys who scoff at it, but they only know how to pond swat ducks on the river. That's like comparing road hunting during rifle season for elk to backpack hunting for archery elk.

Also if you haven't had a duck jalapeno popper wrapped in bacon, you haven't lived.

I wish more people felt like you guys in regards to hunting AK.

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
Montana Unlimited Sheep
Afognak Elk or any jungle Roosevelt elk hunt.

that’s it. Sign me up for all the rest 😃

I hear that. (y) I drew an archery sheep tag this year finally, yet I'm still more excited about my elk hunt this September than the sheep hunt........and I might be hunting OTC.

Good luck on the archery sheep hunt! Ram hunt in August?

I am not much of a turkey, goose or duck hunter. The rest of the seasons are game on for me. Love bowhunting big game the most and enjoy upland bird hunting with the Vizsla a whole lot. Predator calling is good and I’ve shot a bunch of prairie dogs for ranchers and farmers. Africa bowhunting was great when I ended up over there for work a few times. Stalking rutting kudu in the thorn-brush was more like elk hunting than you might think.

tdot

WKR
I don't want to hunt over feeders or bait barrels.

Any hunt that's busy with people. The stories of CO and Idaho elk or mule deer hunts or Eastern Whitetail hunts that are crowded with people just holds zero appeal.

Canada Goose. I'd have to be pretty hungry to eat one of our national symbols.

ODB

WKR
Would be sweet stalking animals in Africa. Not really for the hunt, just to be essentially the same thing you would doing back home but in a whole new environment.

I’ll tell you something though. There are so many bloody things there that can literally kill you just walking around on a photo Safari you must always be in your toes. Just that makes a foot Safari a whole different beast than NA. Might step on a puff adder or mamba. A cranky buffalo might be around that bush, or lion or pissed off baboon. Don’t grab that bush, it’s a wait-a-bit and it’ll slice you like knives. Same for the acaci. Yep, that candelabra euphorbia is a beauty but don’t touch the sap and rub your eyes else bye bye vision...

...but it’s precisely the above that makes me want to go back and back and back...

MattB

WKR
Elephants and monkeys. Other than that, I would gladly explore based on circumstances.

Sevens

WKR
Can’t get myself interested in turkey. Not too big on most waterfowl either, okay with some upland. I like watching the dogs point, but I won’t go out of my way to plan a bird hunt.

I have also never had much interest in coyotes, remind me too much of dogs and I really like dogs. Crocodile and alligator don’t excite me much either.

Will pretty much hunt any big game otherwise, deer to elephants. Prefer spot and stalk versus using a blind. Sitting over bait is my least favorite, but will happily sit in a blind over bait if it means I get to go hunting.

Swamp Rat

FNG
I’ll tell you something though. There are so many bloody things there that can literally kill you just walking around on a photo Safari you must always be in your toes. Just that makes a foot Safari a whole different beast than NA. Might step on a puff adder or mamba. A cranky buffalo might be around that bush, or lion or pissed off baboon. Don’t grab that bush, it’s a wait-a-bit and it’ll slice you like knives. Same for the acaci. Yep, that candelabra euphorbia is a beauty but don’t touch the sap and rub your eyes else bye bye vision...

...but it’s precisely the above that makes me want to go back and back and back...

I feel the same way when I travel down south. Up where I live, there arent any critters that prevent me from doing what I want in the woods. No rattlesnakes or things like that. There is a really thick bloom of mosquitoes the end of May, worst than anywhere I have been.

Mt Al

WKR
Lots of great comments in here.

I'm 85% DIY/solo hunter for the last 30 years and was totally anti high fence, then went on two cull hunts and had a ball. It boiled down to the people I was with, they were great and we had fun. Plus I learned a ton about how a high fenced place is managed and the amount of work and passion it takes. Stopped judging it after that.

The only hunt that I can think of that I'm not interested in is one with a guide or other hunters who are arse-holes, braggarts, bloviating chest thumpers. Was on a pheasant hunt with friends in South Dakota in a lodge. Some of the other guests were shockingly bizarre. One guy trying to tell people how to play cards, another guy who brought his frightened dog. The dog was terrified of any wrong move or noise, can't imagine the beatings that thing took.

Had a fishing guide brag himself up the whole day, makes for a long day.

Other than that, I'm open to anything I haven't tried.

Jardo

WKR
I should not do this, but I will engage.

The point of high fences in native wildlife scenario are 3-fold.

#1) Keep the fence hunting neighbor that has 80 acres without a lick of habitat on it from baiting deer over to his costal field to shoot them. Sometimes these guys have 0 respect and consideration for management practices and if it has antlers it gets shot. It is cool to see pictures of that promising 2-year-old baby 10 point on Facebook knowing that he never got a chance to spread his genetics.

#2) Be able to actively control genetics and cull appropriately. Also control herd health and size.

#3) Be able to control stocking rates and controlling that habitat from over grazing. Most guys that have high fence are doing significantly more than running "bait stations". Supplemental feed increases deer health and recruitment rates. A healthy doe with plenty to eat will milk better and raise bigger fawns. There are several studies that I have read that link first year body condition and health to antler development. These studies were done on multiple cervidae species. The ones off the tope of my head were for whitetail, elk and red deer. All the studies showed that a buck fawn that does not get enough groceries will be behind in development by a year or more. No, these studies were not done by Purina. Putting out safeguard wormer feed at spring green up normally helps the animals worm load. This is easy to confirm with fecal sample floats.

Down here in Texas where everything is basically OTC your only limited by having places to hunt and the number of tags on your license and county restrictions. A neighbor with 10 acres that backs up to your 3-section place can legally hunt and harvest as many deer as he wants. Himself, his kids and grandkids can all come shoot deer. This happened last year on one of our places. The neighbor owns an 80-acre costal field. The feeder 10 yards into his place was successful in luring 6 bucks to their demise. Yes, he took 6 bucks and an unknown number of does off 80 acres that has no habitat on it. No, I am not mad about it, but it will take those deer herds on that place years to recover because of one neighbor’s short sightedness and itchy trigger finger. While I am not interested in engaging a debate on why Texas sucks, in other states the wildlife departments set the number of harvests in a particular unit (Excluding landowner tags). Here its more or less set by the landowners. The county restrictions lag behind the game seasons by years and they will not turn a 2 buck 2 doe per license country into a 1 buck 0 doe county until things have gotten bad. Because of this as a landowner it is in your best interest to manage with the future in mind.

This why whitetail hunting back East has never ever appealed to me. Sounds more like ranching than hunting.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
Africa has always been the bottom of my list.

I look at treestands as a form of punishment or torture now so I'd also add any treestand hunt to that list.