What is everyone's career choice??

kjw

WKR
Spent 20 plus years operating heavy equipment in the oil field and mining. Currently a Residential Director of daily operations and planning. Some might be more familiar with the title, stay at home dad. Oldest daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes a couple years ago. Wife’s job allowed for me to shut it down for a bit and keep our kids lined out. They will all be in school full time next year so I’ll be back on the payroll somewhere

Interested to hear if you're able to share the hunting side of your life with co-workers. Have found it a very tight rope to walk in the tech world.
Not the op you responded to, but I’m a product manager for a pretty left leaning tech company and just recently I’ve started to talk about my hunting hobby. I’m gonna own it, and not be afraid of consequences. It’s actually been a pretty great topic of conversation because a lot of people are pretty interested in it. They may not understand it, or like it, but people seem to be genuinely curious about it.

Oldffemt

WKR
Self employed carpenter. Left a “good paying” PM roll in insurance restoration in the Midwest after 7yrs when my employer was bought out by a huge corporation. That job was brutal! I’m much happier now…and make more money, and have free time when I want it, etc.
I was an ARFF/emt/aircraft mechanic in a previous life. Worked almost exclusively on govt aircraft until Obama came along, thus my screen name.

Oldffemt

WKR
Not the op you responded to, but I’m a product manager for a pretty left leaning tech company and just recently I’ve started to talk about my hunting hobby. I’m gonna own it, and not be afraid of consequences. It’s actually been a pretty great topic of conversation because a lot of people are pretty interested in it. They may not understand it, or like it, but people seem to be genuinely curious about it.
They’re just trying to figure out why you don’t buy your meat at the grocery store. You know, where they make meat….
Sheesh, what a neanderthal

CJ19

WKR
I used to do science. we focus on social justice now though. Its very prestigious work. I have had 100 and 200 level coursework in science like hydrology and geo morph. I have also had course work in middle eastern literature, art history, linear algebra, and home economics as well as online training courses in micro agressions, dealing with difficult people, and microsoft office.

Last edited:

Speaking from experience, that's not going to go over well and you will look like you're "not bonding with your team" or "not a team player".

Two jobs ago, I was even sent to HR over "racist body language". I read the report and someone reported me for "standing up straight"... I shit you not.