What piece of gear do you wish existed?

tops911

FNG
Stubblejumper look at an Army combat shirt. They are made to wear with body armor so the sleeves are much warmer, lightly padded at the elbows (and flame retardant) and the body of the shirt is a nice moisture wicking and thin.

mobilefamily

Lil-Rokslider
A truly waterproof pack that doesn't require a rain cover.

Waist high breathable waders with real hiking boots sewn in, which Cabelas had for a while then discontinued. I loved mine!

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
A truly waterproof pack that doesn't require a rain cover.

Waist high breathable waders with real hiking boots sewn in, which Cabelas had for a while then discontinued. I loved mine!
I have thought about making a waterproof pack, and even have the fabric on its way, and waterproof zippers. It gets expensive and more technical to make it waterproof, and keep it waterproof. Durability and abrasion resistance is a hard balance.

In the end, I get such little rain in AZ that I am thinking of also just making and using Dyneema stuff sacks that are extraordinarily light, tough, and 100% water resistant. Easy enough to stuff everything in there. Doesn't matter if the pack leaks a little water, even if it is mostly waterproof/resistant.

mobilefamily

Lil-Rokslider
I have thought about making a waterproof pack, and even have the fabric on its way, and waterproof zippers. It gets expensive and more technical to make it waterproof, and keep it waterproof. Durability and abrasion resistance is a hard balance.

In the end, I get such little rain in AZ that I am thinking of also just making and using Dyneema stuff sacks that are extraordinarily light, tough, and 100% water resistant. Easy enough to stuff everything in there. Doesn't matter if the pack leaks a little water, even if it is mostly waterproof/resistant.
I agree for Arizona.

I was thinking for Alaska trips where I am guaranteed heavy rain for several days in a week. Right now I carry a heavy duty rubber bag strapped to my pack frame. It's heavy and cumbersome. A light waterproof bag that attaches to my frame is what I need. I thought Wrangell Gear was going to make some, but they haven't brought a product to market yet.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I agree for Arizona.

I was thinking for Alaska trips where I am guaranteed heavy rain for several days in a week. Right now I carry a heavy duty rubber bag strapped to my pack frame. It's heavy and cumbersome. A light waterproof bag that attaches to my frame is what I need. I thought Wrangell Gear was going to make some, but they haven't brought a product to market yet.

I think that is doable. What pack frame do you run?

Holmes

Lil-Rokslider
I want a bino harness that does NOT require extra tumor-dongles to hold my range finder, bear spray, etc

- the little open top mesh pockets on the sides of bino harnesses are useless: too small and not secure enough (such as Mystery Ranch and Kuiu, etc)
- the zippered pocket sides are two difficult/noisy to get into (such as AK Guide Gear, Badlands, Eberlestock, etc) also, many of those pockets are too small to hold a rangefinder or a bullet wallet.

Every rangefinder comes with a stupid little case, just make that case PART OF THE BINO HARNESS 😖 Stitch it along the side of the bino case instead of the little mesh pockets. Don't strap it on like an afterthought way out on the side.
On the opposite side of the bino case put a similar magnetic flip top pouch to store an extra magazine or bullet wallet.
On the bottom put molle straps to attach my bear spray (Mystery Ranch actually gets this right)
The wind checker and mouth calls go in a sleeve underneath the main compartment flap.
An internal secure pocket (underneath the binos) holds my Garmin InReach Mini, a minimalist headlamp, a mylar emergency blanket, and a mini bic lighter and pyro gel.

done. no extra pouches that hang under my arm pits or jab my ribs. It would be sleek, light, bushwhacking friendly, and cheaper overall.

This is a joke:
Screen Shot 2021-02-18 at 8.06.32 AM.png

such an inefficient use of space and materials.

TheGDog

WKR
A Low sit-height seating solution that's lightweight, wide enough for us bigger dudes, and provides excellent backsupport, with very open mesh for airflow, doesn't dig-in to soft dirt, and you can adjust the leg heights for sitting on an extreme slope such as when doing predator sets. And of course folds down back to flat for easy strapping to back of pack.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I want a bino harness that does NOT require extra tumor-dongles to hold my range finder, bear spray, etc

- the little open top mesh pockets on the sides of bino harnesses are useless: too small and not secure enough (such as Mystery Ranch and Kuiu, etc)
- the zippered pocket sides are two difficult/noisy to get into (such as AK Guide Gear, Badlands, Eberlestock, etc) also, many of those pockets are too small to hold a rangefinder or a bullet wallet.

Every rangefinder comes with a stupid little case, just make that case PART OF THE BINO HARNESS 😖 Stitch it along the side of the bino case instead of the little mesh pockets. Don't strap it on like an afterthought way out on the side.
On the opposite side of the bino case put a similar magnetic flip top pouch to store an extra magazine or bullet wallet.
On the bottom put molle straps to attach my bear spray (Mystery Ranch actually gets this right)
The wind checker and mouth calls go in a sleeve underneath the main compartment flap.
An internal secure pocket (underneath the binos) holds my Garmin InReach Mini, a minimalist headlamp, a mylar emergency blanket, and a mini bic lighter and pyro gel.

done. no extra pouches that hang under my arm pits or jab my ribs. It would be sleek, light, bushwhacking friendly, and cheaper overall.

This is a joke:
View attachment 265540

You read my mind.

I have a design in my head, just gotta make one.

woods89

WKR

This is a joke:
View attachment 265540

I'm with you. I have a AGC KISS Max and it's borderline too much.

I have a small pouch on my pack belt for my rangefinder. I try not to get separated from my pack so I don't think it will be a problem. This is for rifle hunting.

I have been real close to just getting the Rick Young cover and using one of those harnesses. I like streamlined.

A product like my SneekTec Boot sole coverings, but with the fastening system revisited. The product works amazing but it's a total PITA putting on and taking back off. Just seems to take way more time then it should putting them on or off.

Also maybe something like chaps that can be put on once you reach your sit spot after the long hike-in. Sometimes the socks will have some sweat to 'em and maybe the legs of the pants a lil bit too.. so then when you settle into your sit and then the cold morning breezes come thru it'll chill your feet/legs. At the moment I just lay one of the extra jacket layers over my legs/feet to deal with it. But would be cool if they had like, maybe some kind of I dunno, stirrup pants maybe? That you could slip on quitely once you got within those last several hundred yards of your intended location.

And freaking EVERYTHING should have pit-zips on them, where you can unzip and air-out a bit after (or during) the initial hike-in. I have this 20 yr old Enduro Jacket that has both pit-zips, elbow zips and similar sections like that on the chest area. So when you're on your moto and it's crazy hot it's really cool since you can on-the-fly while riding make adjustments to remedy the changing conditions. Also that Enduro Jacket in those chest sections has two compartments to have a water bladder in there with a feed-out metal grommet on the covering flap so you can feed the drink tube thru it.

Suspenders: Much like backpack have the sternum strap, suspenders should also have a positionable sternum strap type of piece as well, so thaty way you can have it adjusted nice and loose for your sit.. but when you get up and walk around that looseness required doesn't then allow the shoulder straps to annoying slide down and require you to pull them back up habitually.

There also needs to somehow be a product like the Helinox style chairs... but revised for hunters such that they can be unfurled quickly and without the noise. Perhaps hinged legs instead of shock-corded?

Also for predator seat cushions, they need to take a cue from bicycle seats nowadays and mold in a groove for your choda/taint area and also concentrate the padding more specifically around where your sit bones on the pelvis would rest upon it. Further contributing to airflow in there so sits in the heat don't cook your crotch and make ya swampy.

Another thought I had this morning from a convo with the Mrs about a lighting product... seems like by now they ought to be able to create some kind of personal-sized, sealed, nuclear generator device we could use, rather then batteries. I mean the amount of fissionable material could be crazy minute for this application. Like imagine on the hike out.. being able to essentially plug-into a 120V socket so you could power like a multi-thousand lumens headlamp! How freakin' cool would that be, right? No worries about Gee... I hope it was sunny enough on this cloudy day for the solar stuff to recharge, etc. We have Tritium in our night sights on weapons. Why not a similar concept, but just upped a little bit in scale to act as a power supply. And to aswage fears about terrorists doing weird isht you just make the inner most core thing be completely sealed and have a tiny amount of material anyway. I mean... I know.. I KNOW.. the tech has gotta be there to make something like this... just a question of them disallowing it from being made due to fear concerns. (And also energy profits!) But that's were clever engineering can come in and address those problems. I have to figure such a device sell like MAD all over the world! Imagine living in a 3rd-world butthole of a country, and being able to get your hands on a power source like that! That'd be life-changing for such a person!

If you're gonna dream, dream big, right?
G dog......I use these military trouser liners for when I arrive at my glassing spot.s-l300.jpg here is the link: https://www.ebay.com/p/809748263
They are super cheap and I can put them on over my boots. They are like capri pants and go down to just below my knee. Usually in cold temps I will be wearing gaiters so my lower half is covered. I used these last year on a backpack hunt where my pad popped. I slept on these for some added warmth. Also, I cannot take credit for the idea as I think I got the idea from another member on here. I attempted to find the post but was unsuccessful. Hope this helps!

THLR

Lil-Rokslider

Az wildcat

Lil-Rokslider
I would like something that helps me not smell like a homeless bum after one after of hiking. I get a smell of biblical proportions down there and nothing seems to help.

Have tried Merino boxers and shaving. I'm all ears but thinking some magical undies that blow a nice cool breeze the entire time would work well.

When I took the wife backpacking for the first time, I thought she was gonna kick me out of the tent. 😂

TheGDog

WKR
I would like something that helps me not smell like a homeless bum after one after of hiking. I get a smell of biblical proportions down there and nothing seems to help.

Have tried Merino boxers and shaving. I'm all ears but thinking some magical undies that blow a nice cool breeze the entire time would work well.

When I took the wife backpacking for the first time, I thought she was gonna kick me out of the tent. 😂
Trimming hair does help. Serious Question: Have you tried using Monkey-Butt powder around your front nad back sides down there? It does help.

They also make wipees with scent killer type stuff on 'em.

twall13

WKR
Like this one? It is also a sleeping bag/quilt.

View attachment 267831
Jack's r better makes one too, and they even sell down sleeves to go with it if you want.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

A puffy jacket as warm as the chamberlin or Kelvin WS with the cordura panels like the LPP. I feel guilty even contemplating how much money I’d spend on something like that.