What public land in a state/ area would you like to hunt?

I'm curious if there's any state or area you'd like to hunt. Public land.

I didn't get drawn for IA. I'm thinking of going back to PA to hunt. I love traveling to hunt new states and areas. I Live in SC.

*zap*

WKR
I live in Kansas and like Mo. I think Ne and Ok would also be good.

Mo public is better than Kansas public. If possible at a new public area I spend a day driving around and glassing, looking for trails crossing roads and where the hunters are parking. Maybe talk to some of the bordering landowners/farmers.

Good luck.

When I think of the north east I think of pressure.
I like to hunt areas with no to minimal pressure.
Most of the Midwest fits this bill.
Sure Kansas, Nebraska and Iowa are at the bottom of the list for public land acres compared fo total state acres but they all limit the amount of nonresident hunters that can hunt.
However there are other states, Mo, SD, ND,OK all come to mind.
I left out states like Mn and WI because of hunting pressure.

OP
J
When I think of the north east I think of pressure.
I like to hunt areas with no to minimal pressure.
Most of the Midwest fits this bill.
Sure Kansas, Nebraska and Iowa are at the bottom of the list for public land acres compared fo total state acres but they all limit the amount of nonresident hunters that can hunt.
However there are other states, Mo, SD, ND,OK all come to mind.
I left out states like Mn and WI because of hunting pressure.
Good points.
I was elk hunting in CO OTC. A guide asked if I seen lots of pressure. I said no, I only seen 5 guys. He said that's alot of pressure. I grew up in PA, that's pressure.

Yoder

WKR
I live in PA and I honestly don't think it's that bad. Rifle season is the only time it gets bad. Even then It's only the first couple days and Saturdays. During the week it drops off dramatically. Archery season I rarely see another hunter in the woods. There is less pressure now than there was when I was a kid. I guess it depends where you go. I hunt a lot of spots that most people would never consider.

I always wanted to try Ohio or Kentucky. I might pick up a tag for NJ this year. It's pretty close, something different.

Kurts86

WKR
I want to kill a designated wilderness buck in Midwestern states like Illinois, Nebraska and Missouri.

ccc9092

FNG
Nebraska is at the top of my list. Either whitetail or mule deer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

skeen

FNG
I've always thought the Nebraska sand hills region would be cool to hunt.

And, I've read and listened to the Benoits, Hal Blood, etc., about tracking big woods bucks in snow - that would be an awesome experience. Quite different than my normal Kansas/Oklahoma hunts. 😊

AHorst

FNG
I went mule deer hunting for the first time in Nebraska last year and saw some good bucks but never got lucky. I would have gone back this year but I wasn't able to fit it in the schedule. They change some units to draw this year.

I'm from MN and have land in WI, there are areas that have a lot of pressure but like always if you put in a little extra effort you can find some good dear. I've heard stories of some good bucks being taken off public in some high pressure spots. During rifle season everyone flocks to the woods so you have to be careful then.

Macintosh

WKR
New hampshire has WAY less pressure than any of the other states mentioned in this thread that Ive hunted. “The northeast” includes boston, NYC, philly, etc and a lot of suburban deer, which may very well be crowded and pressured. It also includes the northern maine woods, coos county NH, the nek in VT and the adirondacks in northern NY, and plenty of similar areas. The above few areas encompass almost 18,000 square miles (about six times the size of yellowstone if I counted my fingers and toes correctly), most of which is publicly accessible for hunting, and none of which is near a population center. Theres not a lot of deer and I fully understand why people go elsewhere to hunt, but pressure is not one of those reasons.

Lowg08

WKR
I’ve always wanted to try New Hampshire too. Maine has always interested me. Also the Adirondacks in New York. Any place with Appalachian mountain bucks.