What public land in a state/ area would you like to hunt?

SquatchN

FNG
As a Nebraska resident, I think it's important to set proper expectations for hunting the state during rifle season on public land. The large public tracts out west get absolutely hammered by hunters. The herd in the SW portion of the state is not exactly thriving either.

I recommend coming early (late October/early November) for an archery hunt if you want to enjoy NE. Maybe take a gander at some of the smaller tracts...

NE G&P has done a terrible job acquiring access for hunters IMO. When I hunt KS and IA I'm shocked by the access those states provide.

ianpadron

WKR
Northwestern Wisconsin.

Grew up back there and spent all my time outdoors fishing, never really caught the hunting bug 'til college.

If I knew then what I know now...

Looking forward to heading back soon and giving it a whirl in the big woods.

Pdm25150

FNG
Would love to hunt public land out west that allowed disabled to use a 4 wheeler. This seems impossible, every thing I have found says no motorized vehicles.

Nothing against high fence ranches. Some public land that allowed atv to hunt big white tails , mule dear and elk would be awesome.

Would love to hunt Illinois and Indiana. Was born in Indiana, but moved to Texas when I was 8. Back in the 70s, we hardly ever saw a deer, but now when I go visit family, I see plenty of deer.

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk

Cashed in 6 years of points to hunt Iowa this fall. Excited to finally get to experience a Midwest rut. Will be hunting October 28 - Nov 12.

BDRam16

WKR
Since this is specifically about whitetail…anything other than the midwest for a big, mature buck is a wrong answer lol. Some states or areas may have bigger deer, but the Midwest has them everywhere. Any public land timber that butts up to some agg fields on a corn year=$$$$$$

Macintosh

WKR
Eh, I disagree. Sometimes its about the place and/or how you want to hunt, as much or more than what you want to hunt. Certainly it’s A right answer, but by no stretch is it the only right answer. I’d love to hunt the midwest on good land, but my bucket-list whitetail hunt is mexico coues deer.

Lowg08

WKR
Eh, I disagree. Sometimes its about the place and/or how you want to hunt, as much or more than what you want to hunt. Certainly it’s A right answer, but by no stretch is it the only right answer. I’d love to hunt the midwest on good land, but my bucket-list whitetail hunt is mexico coues deer.
I’ll be honest. I prefer to hunt mountains. Midwest had big deer but it doesn’t have mountains. I’m more about the hunt than the size.

frbg2019

FNG
Alaska would he a bucket list hunt (caribou or Buffalo, if I was ever lucky enough to get a tag).

Oddly enough, I really want to try the PA flintlock season, if that still a thing. Just seems like a fun oddball kind of thing to try.

BDRam16

WKR

I’ll be honest. I prefer to hunt mountains. Midwest had big deer but it doesn’t have mountains. I’m more about the hunt than the size.
I guess I do agree with both of you guys. Just with how and where I grew up hunting, that is what I think when someone says whitetails. If I was trekking across the country to go hunt in the mountains, it would be for something other than a whitetail.

Would love to hunt Illinois and Indiana. Was born in Indiana, but moved to Texas when I was 8. Back in the 70s, we hardly ever saw a deer, but now when I go visit family, I see plenty of deer.

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk
Indiana sucks small deer low population’s nothing to see here.

Leverwalker

Lil-Rokslider
+1, but we won't be out west for a few years. N. WI, "semi-primitive wilderness area," but seems the area has been hammered (I don't mean, unrealistic expectations - this is northwoods and not southern farmland), and no longer sure about staying in the midwest at all.

Lowg08

WKR
+1, but we won't be out west for a few years. N. WI, "semi-primitive wilderness area," but seems the area has been hammered (I don't mean, unrealistic expectations - this is northwoods and not southern farmland), and no longer sure about staying in the midwest at all.
I’m in the Appalachian mountains. I live here so it’s readily available. It’s a different kinda hunting here for whitetail and bear. Just for me an addictive tough hunt

Leverwalker

Lil-Rokslider
I’m in the Appalachian mountains. I live here so it’s readily available. It’s a different kinda hunting here for whitetail and bear. Just for me an addictive tough hunt
Oh, sorry for the misread. I'd love to hunt out your way. Good luck.