What’s your take on euro skulls?

OP
bguitierez
I like euros quite a bit. The plaque that it's on can change the way they look. I'm a big fan of log rounds and playing around with placement.

View attachment 84524
p.s. Make sure you check into what you need for taxidermy licenses in your state.

Dude that’s gorgeous! The wood really does make that buck look... just tough! I can see all the nasal cartilage is intact and unbroken too. He looks great brother. As for regulations I am still in the information gathering stage. As it stands now it looks like I am allowed to process European skulls without needing a taxidermy license. But as you know regulations are vast and way too many to make sense of. So I am definitely making sure my i’s are dotted and my t’s are crossed. Thank you for sharing, that buck looks amazing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
bguitierez
I doubt I ever do another shoulder mount except a mt goat or ram. Euro is my choice.

I’d definitely want to shoulder mount a goat or ram too. I have mostly eruos too. But got me a decent pronghorn this year that gotta get shoulder mounted. More for the look of his hide than horn size. Did my buddy’s pronghorn this year. Man I was dancing on needles when it was time to pop the horns off the sheaths.

Nice job, I love Euro mounts. It's all I have other than a couple bear rugs. I can see myself maybe doing a brown bear to go along with the blackie and griz but other than that I have no intentions of anything besides euro mounts. I love to look at taxidermy around town and at other people's places but I really don't care for it in my house (and my wife thinks they really look stupid in a house). I already have the majority of my euro mounts hanging at my parent's house or in my garage so not sure where a guy would even put a shoulder mount. And the old trapper inside me loves to have the hides laying around. I was about nailed to a cross last year when I did a euro on a February mountain goat but I love that goat blanket!

I always see taxidermy in people's price lists for hunting. It's absolutely insane if that is what is preventing people from doing a trip! It's one of the things I tell my buddies every year when they say they can't afford to come to AK - stop dropping a grand annually on your 10th whitetail shoulder mount and come hunting instead in two years!

BluMtn

WKR
One thing not brought up that works in favor of euros is allergies. There are people out there who are allergic to animal hair and a euro eliminates that problem. And still allows you to display your mount.

Sadler

WKR
I personally prefer euros, nothing against lifelike mounts (unless they are done poorly, PLEASE for the love of Jesus vet the work of anyone you are thinking of taking a cat to for lifelike taxi lol) they just aren't for me
100% agree! I took a mule deer to a coworker who does taxidermy on the side because he told me he would do it for half the price. My God did I get what I paid for lol. Never again!

Fatcamp

WKR
Really enjoying it. Started this fall. The mule deer was from last year and a bear to deal with, but I really enjoy it.

Attachments

• KIMG1667.JPG
    KIMG1667.JPG
    117.4 KB · Views: 34
  • KIMG1635~2.JPG
    KIMG1635~2.JPG
    239.2 KB · Views: 33
OP
bguitierez
Nice job, I love Euro mounts. It's all I have other than a couple bear rugs. I can see myself maybe doing a brown bear to go along with the blackie and griz but other than that I have no intentions of anything besides euro mounts. I love to look at taxidermy around town and at other people's places but I really don't care for it in my house (and my wife thinks they really look stupid in a house). I already have the majority of my euro mounts hanging at my parent's house or in my garage so not sure where a guy would even put a shoulder mount. And the old trapper inside me loves to have the hides laying around. I was about nailed to a cross last year when I did a euro on a February mountain goat but I love that goat blanket!

I always see taxidermy in people's price lists for hunting. It's absolutely insane if that is what is preventing people from doing a trip! It's one of the things I tell my buddies every year when they say they can't afford to come to AK - stop dropping a grand annually on your 10th whitetail shoulder mount and come hunting instead in two years!

That’s some really good insight. Thank you for sharing that. I can’t imagine factoring in taxidermy with my broke behind haha. My approach has been if I kill something worth paying the price of a shoulder mount then I’ll deal with it after the seasons haha. Glad you were able to get off the cross bro! Haha

OP
bguitierez
One thing not brought up that works in favor of euros is allergies. There are people out there who are allergic to animal hair and a euro eliminates that problem. And still allows you to display your mount.

That’s interesting I never really thought of that before. Thanks for giving me another selling point!

OP
bguitierez
100% agree! I took a mule deer to a coworker who does taxidermy on the side because he told me he would do it for half the price. My God did I get what I paid for lol. Never again!

Man that sucks. Is there anyway to take it to a professional shop and have it re-done?

hoyt-guy

Lil-Rokslider
Bguitierez, your euro's look great! I'm currently in the process of doing my first deer euro. Any tips for getting the meat off on the bottom side, up by spine? So far I've had 2 boiling sessions for an hour each. I have all the meat off on the face, nasal cavity etc, just having trouble getting it off underneath the base of the skull. I only boiled with dish soap, as I plan on either spray painting this euro, or having it dipped. Any tips you could share with a rookie? Can a guy boil too much?

OP
bguitierez
Bguitierez, your euro's look great! I'm currently in the process of doing my first deer euro. Any tips for getting the meat off on the bottom side, up by spine? So far I've had 2 boiling sessions for an hour each. I have all the meat off on the face, nasal cavity etc, just having trouble getting it off underneath the base of the skull. I only boiled with dish soap, as I plan on either spray painting this euro, or having it dipped. Any tips you could share with a rookie? Can a guy boil too much?

Well brother what’s worked for me is getting as much meat off as I can first (sounds like you’re there), then I do a de-grease boil in oxcy-clean for around 45 minutes. That helps get the meat and fatty stuff real pliable. Then I hit it with a pressure washer. Just got to be real careful when spraying because it can blow the nasal cartilage out. By that time just good old fashioned paint scrapper and a flathead. Getting the ear nodules out with a screwdriver will make getting that meat out way easier as well. After that I usually only boil one more time, and use the scrapper to get the rest off. You’ll be surprised how much easier it is once you pop off the ear nodules. Thanks for the compliment brother. I appreciate it.

hoyt-guy

Lil-Rokslider
Awesome bguitierez! Great info there. I will give the oxy boil a try, and just keep chipping away at it. Thanks for the tips!

Fatcamp

WKR
A regular Stanley type razor knife/box cutter works great for trimming away that conncetive tissue on the back of the skull, around the eyes, and around the nasal cavity. Tough and cheap.

Whisky

WKR
I am a fan. There will be more Euros and less shoulder mounts going forward for me.

OP
bguitierez
Some of my 11 year old son’s euros in his room. I found a old barn board to mount the skullhookers to. Everyone who comes to the house comments on it.
View attachment 84542

Rightfully so man. That’s a pretty cool way to us skull hookers. Creative for sure. Do you mind if I barrow that idea? Haha. Thank you for showing that off.

OP
bguitierez
As I've gotten older I like euros more and more ...If I could flip a switch and do it over I don't think I'd do any shoulder mounts at all.

Given the response on this forum I am surprised to see this many hunters preferring euros to shoulder mounts. Highly encouraging. Glad to see it. Thank you brother.