Which 10MM: Sig P320 Xten, Springfield XD Elite, or M and P?

Interesting. Weak or not the HSM is available locally everywhere and nothing else is. CNS hit with HSM, Buffalo Bore or anything else will have the same result.

Now the mag dropping I haven't heard of, I'll have to look into it.

Sent from my SM-G990U2 using Tapatalk
I get it. We have hardcast supply issues here in Alaska. I almost had to do Kodiak with HSM until Grizzly came back online about 3 weeks out. But still no 10mm Buffalo Bore. And Velo is super expensive.
My main point is can’t extrapolate HSM to the higher power hardcast. The problems don’t start showing up until the power increases.
And with Underwood, there’s a subtle shape difference in the bullet, in combination with the funneling of the top of the mag, that activates the internal mag release, and causes the drop.

grfox92

WKR
I get it. We have hardcast supply issues here in Alaska. I almost had to do Kodiak with HSM until Grizzly came back online about 3 weeks out. But still no 10mm Buffalo Bore. And Velo is super expensive.
My main point is can’t extrapolate HSM to the higher power hardcast. The problems don’t start showing up until the power increases.
And with Underwood, there’s a subtle shape difference in the bullet that activates the internal mag release that causes the drop.
So if I stick with a lower bullet weight like 200gr or 180gr I should be fine. I have 10mm dies and powder, just not sure what readily available bullet I would load.

So if I stick with a lower bullet weight like 200gr or 180gr I should be fine. I have 10mm dies and powder, just not sure what readily available bullet I would load.

Yes. I have no issues at the range with “regular” ammo, and with 200gr hardcast.
We deal with bigger bears up here, so we lean more toward 220gr at a minimum. That is why range testing of the different brands is so important for reliability, especially in times of shortage.

grfox92

WKR
Yes. I have no issues at the range with “regular” ammo, and with 200gr hardcast.
We deal with bigger bears up here, so we lean more toward 220gr at a minimum. That is why range testing of the different brands is so important for reliability, especially in times of shortage.
You have the big bears, we have smaller but faster bears, so I stick with light weights for faster bullets [sarcasm].

Reddish

Lil-Rokslider
The new M&P Performance Center seems to have fixed the mag drop issue with heavy bear loads. It’s comped as well, which makes it really nice to shoot…just loud.

Seems like each model of 10mm has had some good shooters and some with issues. I wouldn’t take one to the field without putting plenty of range time in with one.

The new M&P Performance Center seems to have fixed the mag drop issue with heavy bear loads. It’s comped as well, which makes it really nice to shoot…just loud.

Seems like each model of 10mm has had some good shooters and some with issues. I wouldn’t take one to the field without putting plenty of range time in with one.
My 10 mm ported PC was new in August. Any time I load it with Underwood hardcast, the mag drops like spitting a bad bug. S&W hasn’t fixed anything.
Not every 10 mm PC has this issue, but enough of them do that it’s a well known issue. A Google search of this topic yields plenty of info on this subject.

Last edited:
I recently got rid of my S&W 10 because of the mag dropping out, and replaced it with a XDM and have had no issues.