Which Home Mattress

treillw

WKR
Need a new king mattress for home. Suggestions?

All the commercials I see for the purple mattresses have be intrigued. Seems like traditional mattresses turn into potato chips after a few years. Ours is only 6 years old and being replaced by warranty. It wasn't a cheap mattress either.

Thanks!

Last edited:

dtrkyman

WKR
I have a tuft and needle, 5 plus years old or so, only issue was some piling on the cover, the mattress is the same as new. comfy!

Carpenterant

Lil-Rokslider
I tried to get a purple after trying one out but due to problems with mattress firm couldn’t get one so I went with a nest bed. The bed is really great and don’t regret not getting the purple. There is a mattress forum, I think it’s called the mattress underground that goes over pretty much any mattress you’ve heard of and a bunch you haven’t

We ordered one of those bed in a box brands Puffy and really like it. It’s on the firmer side. Some of the local furniture stores should have a Purple for you to lay on. I tried it in the store and personally didn’t like the grid system. Felt like you were laying on a waffle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sealy Poster Pedic. No pillow top or plush top nonsense. Springs, cloth, and filling. Got 20 years out of the first. Going on another 20 on the second.

Last edited:
Reactions: AZ8

007hunter

Lil-Rokslider
Pony up and get a sleep number. I love mine. I did not get the adjustable base and saved a bunch by not getting it. No regrets here.

RAM190Hog

Lil-Rokslider
We just got the Purple 2 about 3 weeks. Jury is still out. Waking up kind of stiff in mid back...not sure if I am any more stiff, or if I am just paying attention to it now. My wife says she is sleeping much better on the Purple 2.

I spent 8 nights on a cot and a sleeping pad chasing Elk in Oct, and I don't recall my back hurting at all when I woke up. My legs on the other hand...

snuzzo29

Lil-Rokslider
I have a 10 inch natural latex foam mattress from Flexus Comfort. Best mattress I have ever slept on. I have had it for 3 years now and it feels the same as the day I got it.

This is one of those things you really need to go lay on them and find out. I have some friends that own a local Mattress store here in my town and was amazed when I went in and talked with them. I like a firmer mattress. All the memory foam ones are usually good, but when I buy a new one, I will probably go with a Beauty Rest Black Ice. It is a hybrid.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
We originally got a "firm" mattress back in August 2019.......I woke up in pain every morning for a week until finally my lower back completely blew out and is still not good. We traded that mattress out for a hybrid plush model that suits my back much better.

But I have found that anything with memory foam is going to trap heat around you much more efficiently. Usually by October I have to put the heating blanket on our bed for my wife. But even when we had some sub-zero temps in October already, we had to open a window because we were too warm.

My TempurPedic is going strong after 20 years, looking to upgrade to Sleep Number.

I tried one of the Purple's in store -- back hurt after about 5 minutes no matter my orientation.

Sleep Number.

After being injured from drunk driver I woke up in pain every day for several years regardless of what type of mattress we bought. Several co-workers swore by the Sleep Number bed and we finally went to one of the stores and tested them out, found out our sleep number, etc. It is pretty spendy (they have 0% financing) but I have never had another night of discomfort and wake every morning pain free. I wish we had bought one years ago....

NebraskaStickHunter

Lil-Rokslider
I don’t have one but the helix mattress looks intriguing for being able to customize it to a point if you and a spouse like different types of firmness levels.

Rockwell

FNG
It's a hard no for me and memory foam, latex is far superior to any of mf's especially if you get a combination of the DuPont and Talalay latex. Hybrids are where the market is headed as it's the best of both worlds with the right combination of latex and coil springs.

We originally got a "firm" mattress back in August 2019.......I woke up in pain every morning for a week until finally my lower back completely blew out and is still not good. We traded that mattress out for a hybrid plush model that suits my back much better.

But I have found that anything with memory foam is going to trap heat around you much more efficiently. Usually by October I have to put the heating blanket on our bed for my wife. But even when we had some sub-zero temps in October already, we had to open a window because we were too warm.
Try putting a wool blanket or two between the mattress and mattress pad. We have a hybrid mattress and it was way too hot for me until we added two wool military surplus blankets. It really helped with thermo regulation.