Which Rifle build for Spot and Stalk Colorado Hunting

Which Rifle build for Spot and Stalk Colorado Hunting

• Total voters

rgrmike

Lil-Rokslider
I'm looking to upgrade from my Kimber Hunter 30-06 Swaro Z3 3-10x42. Great lightweight rifle but it's time to move onto something different. Without going full custom the Proof Research Elevation and Christensen Arms MPR has caught my eye. I really wanted a short, handy 6.5 PRC but there aren't any factory offering that I can find. This rifle will primarily be used on Elk, Deer and Black Bear in Northern Colorado and occasionally other Western States. Generally speaking I'm a backpack hunter, usually spike camping at or above tree line. The rifle will be on my back a lot. I want a Rifle that I can shoulder for a 100yd shot but also settle on a tripod or backpack and shoot out to 400 if conditions are right. Most probable scope candidate is a NF NXS 2.5-10x42 MIL/MIL weight 20oz....5oz for Rings or less...The 20" Proof weighs in at 5lbs 14 oz so all up without sling it would be right around 7lbs 7oz. I can knock off a few ounces with ring selection. The MPR in a 16" 308 is set up the same would be 1lb heavier with a 4" shorter barrel and the ability to fold.

I know I can go a lot lighter....My Kimber is very light however, it's difficult for me to shoot often and accurately. I want something I can settle into the shot a little more and be more comfortable shooting.

Opinions welcome. Thanks!

Last edited:

Bojangles21

Lil-Rokslider
Are you against doing a custom or semi custom build?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Get a brake but on your 06 if you want something you can shoot often. Lightweight = nice to pack, but suck for shooting. You want to be able to settle into the shot and shoot more often? Add weight and a brake.

Apollo117

WKR
The Proof Evolution isn't offered in 6.5 PRC.

IMO, you should try to find a Tikka action or donor rifle to take the action from. Buy the new XLR Gen 3.0 Element rifle chassis (the one made from magnesium, not aluminum), which weighs 28oz all in. Then buy a good barrel and a new trigger spring for the Tikka. Have a gunsmith put it all together and mount the Nightforce NXS on top of it.

However, what I just suggested is pretty similar in concept and price to the Christensen MPR. Which is chambered in 6.5 PRC and would be in your hands and ready to hunt much more quickly.

mcseal2

WKR
I would probably look hard at the Barrett Fieldcraft myself for new a light short rifle. It sounds like you might want a bit more weight than it though.

My Ruger Scout rifle weighs 7lbs 11oz with a Leupold VX-6 1-6x scope (not scout style) mounted on an XS Sight systems rail. It's kinda my answer to the short rifle niche. I plan to eventually swap the scope out to a 1-6x or 3-12x Huskemaw for shooting out to 400 yards. It has the accuracy, I just don't want to dial with the Leupold after past issues with another VX-6. I have nothing against Nightforce, I just prefer the covered turrets of the Huskemaw.

OP
R

rgrmike

Lil-Rokslider
Are you against doing a custom or semi custom build?

I'm not against it. I own a 1/2 dozen custom or semi custom builds. I just feel like factory rifle are shooting so good these days I don't want to spend the extra money. I want to try a Carbon Barrel. I have no interest in a pencil steel barrel anymore. If I put a Carbon barrel on a custom build it's really going to add up. That's just my thoughts on it.

Last edited:
OP
R

rgrmike

Lil-Rokslider
The Proof Evolution isn't offered in 6.5 PRC.

IMO, you should try to find a Tikka action or donor rifle to take the action from. Buy the new XLR Gen 3.0 Element rifle chassis (the one made from magnesium, not aluminum), which weighs 28oz all in. Then buy a good barrel and a new trigger spring for the Tikka. Have a gunsmith put it all together and mount the Nightforce NXS on top of it.

However, what I just suggested is pretty similar in concept and price to the Christensen MPR. Which is chambered in 6.5 PRC and would be in your hands and ready to hunt much more quickly.
My only thing with the Tikka is as far as I know they're all long actions. If I go long action I'm getting a long action caliber. The whole concept of the 6.5 PRC is to perform at 3150fps out of a short action and push a high BC bullet. I like the MPR but in 6.5 PRC it only comes in a 24" barrel. I think that rifle weighs 8.3 lbs

OP
R

rgrmike

Lil-Rokslider
Get a brake but on your 06 if you want something you can shoot often. Lightweight = nice to pack, but suck for shooting. You want to be able to settle into the shot and shoot more often? Add weight and a brake.
I don't care for breaks. Lots of noise and added weight. I know guys swear by them but I'd rather not run one if I can.

OP
R

rgrmike

Lil-Rokslider
What ranges are you stalking to?
For this rifle...all purpose mountain rifle...I think 400yds would be the upper end of the caliber and set up. I shoot my .260 out to 1K. I know the .308 will do it but a 400yd shot can be difficult on an animal in field conditions.

OP
R

rgrmike

Lil-Rokslider
I would probably look hard at the Barrett Fieldcraft myself for new a light short rifle. It sounds like you might want a bit more weight than it though.

My Ruger Scout rifle weighs 7lbs 11oz with a Leupold VX-6 1-6x scope (not scout style) mounted on an XS Sight systems rail. It's kinda my answer to the short rifle niche. I plan to eventually swap the scope out to a 1-6x or 3-12x Huskemaw for shooting out to 400 yards. It has the accuracy, I just don't want to dial with the Leupold after past issues with another VX-6. I have nothing against Nightforce, I just prefer the covered turrets of the Huskemaw.
I have no problem dialing. If you get a scope with zero stop it's pretty difficult to mess it up. For a 400yd shot I could even hold....no dialing required.

WKR
Love the scope choice. I found an old and mint condition Remington 700 BDL in 30-06 with a 22" barrel. Dropped it into a McMillan and it shoots very well to 600 yards. Wears a 6x SWFA scope and weighs right at 8 pounds. Could probably locate one of those or one in 280 remington and do the same for pretty cheap.

N2TRKYS

WKR
Pick whichever one you like and don’t worry about someone else doesn’t like it. Alot of folks don’t like the setups I use and love, but I don’t care.

Good luck with your search. Let us know what you end up with.

mcseal2

WKR
I have no problem dialing. If you get a scope with zero stop it's pretty difficult to mess it up. For a 400yd shot I could even hold....no dialing required.

You are right, 400 can be done without dialing. I like to dial on anything past 250 if I have the time. I know a lot of scopes have solid turrets that are very difficult to turn accidentally, I just prefer the covered turrets. I know with them I'm set at 200 yards unless I unscrew the cap and change it. My VX-6 3-18x scopes had return to zero issues so when Leupold tested them and replaced the erector systems I sold them and went a different route. Nightforce should not have the reliability issues I have had with dialing Leupold or Vortex scopes in the past.

Really for a light 400yd gun I'd consider just getting a reticle scope and saving the weight. Dialing scopes I trust are heavier than a Swaro Z3 or Leupold VX3 that I'd trust to just set and leave alone. The trickier part is finding a reticle that fits well with the velocity of a short barreled 308. I haven't researched that one.

I didn't mention earlier I like your idea of going 6.5PRC if you can find one. I have shot a lot of game with a 264 win mag pushing a 140gr bullet at 2914fps. It's a mild load that my rifle likes really well. It would be right in the ballpark of what the 6.5PRC would do with a shorter barrel. Both Accubonds and Bergers have worked very well for me out of that rifle.

Bojangles21

Lil-Rokslider
My only thing with the Tikka is as far as I know they're all long actions. If I go long action I'm getting a long action caliber. The whole concept of the 6.5 PRC is to perform at 3150fps out of a short action and push a high BC bullet. I like the MPR but in 6.5 PRC it only comes in a 24" barrel. I think that rifle weighs 8.3 lbs

I second the tikka action. Yes they’re technically all standard action so you wont have the few ounce reduced weight of a SA but tikka actions are pretty killer for the price, and with a trigger spring you’d never believe it is a stock trigger. I know proof sells pre fit tikka carbon barrels as well. Throw a McMillan edge filled stock it would be a sweet gun

I second the tikka action. Yes they’re technically all standard action so you wont have the few ounce reduced weight of a SA but tikka actions are pretty killer for the price, and with a trigger spring you’d never believe it is a stock trigger. I know proof sells pre fit tikka carbon barrels as well. Throw a McMillan edge filled stock it would be a sweet gun

DO WHAT HE SAID!!

T3/T3x action- $500 used
Proof Prefit- $825ish (already chambered/threaded)
Mesa Precision Stock- $625

Still under $2k with extra to buy a brake, trigger spring, bipod, etc

TwoTikkas

WKR
Mcseal2 makes a good point. Ballistic reticles work. And fast. Here are a couple confirmation shots before mule deer hunting last fall. Put the load in my phone app. Tweaked the 100 yard zero. Then confirmed some drops. Easy peasy. 280 AI. Leopold VX3I Boone and Crocket. 400 yards. Second stadia below the zero.