Who hunts with a 10lb+ rifle?

On my 338 WM, I am willing to carry 9 pounds 4 ounces (un loaded). Unless I need the big magnum, I greatly prefer my 7 to 8 pound rifles.

My 300NMI is projecting to scale out a little over 10# without suppressor but the suppressor is only going to weigh 9-10 oz.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Wyoming Nimrod

Lil-Rokslider
I switched to a gun bearer a few years ago. Now gun weight isn't an issue
Probably the least expensive and most overlooked option in order to more easily carry the heavier, easier-to-shoot-accurately rifle and avoid the cost of an expensive and harder-to-shoot-accurately lightweight mountain rifle. Though personally I go back and forth and do both and still somehow justify more rifles, both light and heavyweight. 🤷🏽‍♂️

Niquels

FNG
You’re going to have to give some more details on this rig
Me? Sure.
Savage 110 Ultralite 300 WSM
Savage 1 piece bolt handle with large knob
Desh Industries Bolt Lift Kit
MDT HNT26 Chassis
Leupold VX-5HD 3-15x 44mm Impact-29 MOA reticle
YHM Phantom M2 Suppressor

Last year I bought a Savage Impulse in the 308 Win cartridge. I was impressed with the accuracy and quality of the gun so I started looking at Savage Arms for a light weight elk gun and landed on the 110 Ultralite. The blue printed skeletonized receiver, Proof Research carbon fiber barrel and the trigger sold me. I liked the stock's adjustability, but it's forend is soft and flexible plus the bedding didn't look that great. It's probably okay for non magnum calibers, but for 300 WSM I felt I need something more substantial. I wanted to keep the weight down which lead me to the MDT HNT26 which weighs in at 2 lbs. , but it cost as much as the gun.

The bolt lift was terrible straight out of the box. I thought something was wrong with it until I read more about it. It's a common complaint for the Savage 110 actions. Installing the longer bolt handle and the Desh bolt lift kit helped it a bunch. The bolt slide is still a bit sticky, but it should smooth out after I start shooting it and cycle it a few hundred times.

I haven't shot it yet, I'm still collecting components to reload and develop a round for it. I'm starting with the Nosler AccuBond Long Range 168 grain bullets with Norma brass and CCI 250 primers. It's be difficult finding components for the 300 WSM. In hindsight I should have looked at the availability of cartridge components first.

Anyhow, that's what I ended up with.

Macintosh

WKR
Depends. My 10.5lb gun felt great carrying it around antelope hunting this fall, but no way would I ever choose to carry it in the woods still-hunting. If I only had one hunting rifle it would weigh 8 1/2 lb. Tough choice whether the second would be 7 or 11.

Wyoming Nimrod

Lil-Rokslider
Me? Sure.
MDT HNT26 Chassis

Last year I bought a Savage Impulse in the 308 Win cartridge. I was impressed with the accuracy and quality of the gun so I started looking at Savage Arms for a light weight elk gun and landed on the 110 Ultralite. The blue printed skeletonized receiver, Proof Research carbon fiber barrel and the trigger sold me. I liked the stock's adjustability, but it's forend is soft and flexible plus the bedding didn't look that great. It's probably okay for non magnum calibers, but for 300 WSM I felt I need something more substantial. I wanted to keep the weight down which lead me to the MDT HNT26 which weighs in at 2 lbs. , but it cost as much as the gun.

The bolt lift was terrible straight out of the box. I thought something was wrong with it until I read more about it. It's a common complaint for the Savage 110 actions. Installing the longer bolt handle and the Desh bolt lift kit helped it a bunch. The bolt slide is still a bit sticky, but it should smooth out after I start shooting it and cycle it a few hundred times.

I haven't shot it yet, I'm still collecting components to reload and develop a round for it. I'm starting with the Nosler AccuBond Long Range 168 grain bullets with Norma brass and CCI 250 primers. It's be difficult finding components for the 300 WSM. In hindsight I should have looked at the availability of cartridge components first.

Thank you for that. Very cool rifle and all quality components. I have heard really good things about that chassis as well and didn’t know it was so light. That rig should treat you well. Cheers

Me? Sure.
MDT HNT26 Chassis

I’ve been thinking about the mdt upgrade to my 6.5 prc savage 110 ultralite. But hard to justify it when it shoots sub MOA and I just spent buku bucks on my 30-06. It sure does look sexy though.

huntnful

WKR
Having Ty Shaw at Flatline Precision put together an 11.3-.5lb scoped rifle build as we speak. 300 Norma Mag Improved

BAT vesper action - 26oz
26" Benchmark Med Palma - 68oz
Salmon River SS 4 port brake - 2oz
TS Customs Adjustable KS1 Stock - 42oz
Hawking M5 bottom Metal - 4oz
Hawkings Lapua Hunter Mag - 4oz
Trigger Tech Special - 2oz
ARC M10 rings - 5oz
March FX 4.5-28X52 non illuminated - 28oz

Barreled action with brake weighed in at exactly 6lbs. The rest are all really close estimates.

Nice rig. I've always liked the 30-06 cartridge. Does your weight include the tripod? Is that a Really Right Stuff tripod?
Oh no that is without the tripod. That weight is empty with the bipod on. No I wish I could afford a rrs. it’s the original Leupold carbon fiber tripod kit. I changed the ballhead to a lighter one. The tripod and ballhead is 3lbs. A couple years ago Leupold had a deal where if you buy a pair of bx5 binos they will give you a tripod as a rebate. So I found a brand new pair for $700 somewhere and they gave me the tripod 8 weeks later for free. One of the best deals I’ve ever seen.

Niquels

FNG
Oh no that is without the tripod. That weight is empty with the bipod on. No I wish I could afford a rrs. it’s the original Leupold carbon fiber tripod kit. I changed the ballhead to a lighter one. The tripod and ballhead is 3lbs. A couple years ago Leupold had a deal where if you buy a pair of bx5 binos they will give you a tripod as a rebate. So I found a brand new pair for $700 somewhere and they gave me the tripod 8 weeks later for free. One of the best deals I’ve ever seen.
Thanks. Yeah, I like Leupold stuff. I've got the bx4, great glass. Everyone that looks through them comments on their clarity.

Thanks. Yeah, I like Leupold stuff. I've got the bx4, great glass. Everyone that looks through them comments on their clarity.
Yeah I do too but I’ve actually transitioned out of it mostly. My binos I traded in for a heavier but better quality maven 11x45s, and the Trijicon scope is clearer, crisper clicks and better reticle for $400 less. Still like the Leupold tripods though for the price point.

I'll be carrying a 13# 223ai that's in a chassis for my boy for deer. He's 7 and can shoot this rifle well since the recoil is almost nil, and the stock collapses enough to fit him. He's been shooting it on steel with a light loaded 50vmax. 75amaxs will be in it for deer.