Who is hitting opening day of LEGAL firewood season?

Guys, the other thing let's try not to get to political about things. You know the whole husqvarna vs stihl thing. Cause everyone knows hands down Husky is the best saw

Elk97

WKR
Guys, the other thing let's try not to get to political about things. You know the whole husqvarna vs stihl thing. Cause everyone knows hands down Husky is the best saw
Fake news! :))

We've got it pretty sweet here on the island. Small log operation here stacks up doug fir logs that they aren't going to mill for us to buck up. I cut 3-4 cords/year.

OP
Customweld
I have access to tamarack at times and usually grab the oak, maple or birch. What's been your experience with it ? Things I've heard that it seasons quickly , burns "hot", and resists decay. (I have buddy who built a hunting cabin out of it)
In the northwest, it’s a stud wood. It makes damn good fenceposts and burns incredibly well. IMO, it’s about the best firewood ( in our area). When I was falling timber, if you got into a good patch, the mills would use it for plywood peelers.

OP
Customweld
In the professional series, both make damn good saws. I run a 661 Stihl, but my backup saw is a 395 Husky.

Have a Husky 576xp and an old 51 for small stuff. Both been good saws. Grew up on stihl. Logged for a short time cutting Appalachian hardwoods and turned on to husky at that time. Ran the piss out of them

pjh360

FNG
Here in Virginia, the emerald ash borers have (unfortunately) provided us with an abundance of firewood. We’re into next season already. But it burns great, and splits easily. And our Stihls make quick work of it!

OP
Customweld
My wife even found some fungi while I was cutting.

Attachments

• 89847DB9-4644-4196-9E36-2D5CAE0C0A6A.jpeg
    89847DB9-4644-4196-9E36-2D5CAE0C0A6A.jpeg
    415.2 KB · Views: 30
  • C978F16D-53F5-45DE-95CF-FD8C0B599472.jpeg
    C978F16D-53F5-45DE-95CF-FD8C0B599472.jpeg
    413.8 KB · Views: 30
Never going out opening week again! The last few years have been too insane. I've called in other wood collectors with my throttle finesse (yeah it's a Stihl) and had folks start bucking less than 100ft from me! My best spot had 3 or 4 years worth of downfall but last time I went in there I saw a bunch of dudes with "Oak-Aholic" stickers on their truck windows taking every last twig. Then there's the adult onset lumberjacks that just moved to the country and bought a 35cc gardening saw with a 14 inch bar going after 2 ft diameter Doug fir snags without any wedges. It's a shit show out there.

I'm soo lost right now... At first i thought this was a joke thread, but then some comments make me think its real....

Is fire wood season a real thing?

OP
Customweld
I'm soo lost right now... At first i thought this was a joke thread, but then some comments make me think its real....

Is fire wood season a real thing?
It is on NF land out west. They don't sale firewood permits until May 15th. Different NF districts may be different, but most in my area follow that date. If you are cutting prior to
May 15th , you are cutting without a permit. I don't know what the fine is these days, but past experience told me it was $150 and forfeiture of said wood.

I have access to tamarack at times and usually grab the oak, maple or birch. What's been your experience with it ? Things I've heard that it seasons quickly , burns "hot", and resists decay. (I have buddy who built a hunting cabin out of it)
It is funny how trees can be different from each other, but larch generally makes pretty awesome firewood.........if you can find any. Had a rather old one a few years ago, 3ft+ rounds the a couple whack with the maul, and it just fell to pieces...
That tree was the absolute worst firewood I have ever burned. After just a couple minutes of burning in the stove, this black tar would start coming out of the wood, and man would the smoke roll. Smoke would never clear up, and would have that black tar running down the outside of my chimney.....like at the top, almost 30ft up there....
Have burned quite a few others that were really good.

Not a big creosote guy after you see a chimney fire. As a kid our neighbors house burnt down. Oddly enough he had a heating /cooling business and did sheet metal work. Good dry seasoned wood and a clean chimney obviously helps. There is a new cut close to my house. I may grab a little tamarack to try it out next fall