Who is hitting opening day of LEGAL firewood season?

frank church guy

Lil-Rokslider
I am spoiled. I don't have to have permit. I have a couple dozen standing dead dougfirs. I am going drop about six green ones because we are building an air strip. I am lucky I get to manage the trees I drop. Private is private. We have a lot of new growth. Which is good

Firewood season is when you can get to them. I still have 4 ft drifts on the northside. Today was the first rain since 2020. Snow every day since January but no rain.

OP
Customweld
I generally cut about 20 cords every year. If I don’t get an early start, I’ll be cutting in the dead of summer. That sucks.

Opening day? Heck it’s get a load everytime I feel like it in these parts 😂. Cleared roads the other day and bucked a green larch into 5 foot lengths that I’ll pick up one of these days.

frank church guy

Lil-Rokslider
Opening day? Heck it’s get a load everytime I feel like it in these parts 😂. Cleared roads the other day and bucked a green larch into 5 foot lengths that I’ll pick up one of these days.
Where are you smoke chasing? before i pm just curious

OP
Customweld
It used to be like hat around here. Too damn many people now. I’ve never heard of Tamarack being called Larch in these parts.

You guys have a firewood "season "? Up in northern Minnesota. We usually get a permit from county after logging. Sometimes can't get at due to road restrictions. They cut down the road from my house. Try to grab maple,birch and oak if possible. Some folks up here burn tamarack. I haven't much. They say it burns hot. Woodstove usually burns from start of October to beginning of may. Sucks cutting in summer with heat and ticks. Not even sure how many cords we go through. Keep em sharp !

It used to be like hat around here. Too damn many people now. I’ve never heard of Tamarack being called Larch in these parts.
I usually call tamarack a tamarack when I see one but usually those are in people’s yards or arboretums in Idaho. Yes I ruffle feathers with loggers on job sites over the term sometimes. My dad was a faller for 36 years and always calls them Western Larch.

When you guys say tamarack. Your talking evergreen that turns yellow/orange in the fall and looses needles?

Funny, just today I was commenting to my wife that any more firewood cutting will be out until it starts raining hopefully in the fall again. Fire restrictions in ca. shut it down when it gets dry. Fortunately it’s just red oak for bbq and not for heat and I have a decent amount for the summer.

Yes, that’s the one.
I have access to tamarack at times and usually grab the oak, maple or birch. What's been your experience with it ? Things I've heard that it seasons quickly , burns "hot", and resists decay. (I have buddy who built a hunting cabin out of it)

sneaky

"DADDY"
They should pay a bounty on any deadfall we clear. Foundation for Deadfall Management lol

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk