Who snowshoes?

Kotaman

WKR
I do quite a bit of snowshoeing in the winter for exercise. I've had a few different makes/models, but my favorites are my Atlas 12/35 Mtns. Enough snow here making conditions perfect. Gonna hit it again tonight!

armyjoe

Super Moderator
Just picked up some lightly used MSR Lighting Ascents from my buddy. Never been snowshoeing but going to give it a whirl this winter.

Any advice on good trails in Colorado or snowshoeing technique would be great.

frans

Lil-Rokslider
Mine are Canadian army surplus, madeout of magnesium (been told to keep them away frlm the fire; haven't tested that yet). The are fairly big compared to what you see in the average store, but "float" well. A bit awkward in tight quarters, e.g. when manoevring through area where the saplings grow thick.

Frans

frans

Lil-Rokslider
Just picked up some lightly used MSR Lighting Ascents from my buddy. Never been snowshoeing but going to give it a whirl this winter.

Any advice on good trails in Colorado or snowshoeing technique would be great.

Take poles! They will help you keep your balance and may prevent you toppling over when you step on your own snowshoe. Remember, unless you are following a packed trail, and where is the fun in that, you are "floating" over deep snow. On my first trip out I had no poles, and found myself face first in the powder in short order. The problem was that the snow was so deep that I could not feel the bottom. Your feet are tied to giant paddles, so you can hardly use those, and your arms have nothing to push off against. Good luck getting up! :) After a bit of floundering I managed to grab a sapling so I could get upright. No video evidence of this embarassing episode, thank goodness.

Frans

TRIPLE

Lil-Rokslider
I'm 5 miles in right now in 18" to 24" of snow trying to scout out a bull for the governors tag holder. MSR's are great, but in certain snow conditions nothing keeps you from sinking to the top of your gators.

TRIPLE, you working for Doyle Moss? I know the guy hunting with the Governors tag holder rite now, with two days left... He has definetly already killed one hell of a bull, a second would be incredible!

Cabela's Atlas 36" aluminum and they are basic. I removed the webbing and replaced them with longer webbing to allow for use with my Saskatchewan boots, which are big. I wore the boots while wolf hunting in Alaska via snowmobile and the snowshoes were in case we had to walk out. Ideally they would have buckles to add length if needed so I didn't have 10 yards of webbing to deal with if running normal footwear.

Mckinnon

WKR
Picked up some MSR Ascents at the REI garage sale yesterday for $64! Gonna give them a shot tomorrow

Battle

Lil-Rokslider
I have a pair of MSR Lightning Ascent 30's but have found the best way to get around the mountains in the winter is with a pair of AT skis. Snowshoes may get you in better shape but skis are better if you want to cover some country. I use Dynafit boots and bindings on a pair Voile-USA drifters that are purdy fat, 120 or 125 mm in the waist.

384660_10150464831487884_318072612_n.jpg

Battle

Lil-Rokslider
...and black diamond skins, they are either pure mohair or mohair mix, cant remember at the moment.

Trout bum

Lil-Rokslider
Nice set up Battle. No doubt that's the ticket to cover some ground. I need some of those! A little more fun on the down hill for sure.

Duk Dog

Lil-Rokslider
using some MSR's i got for Xmas.. however.. what boot does everyone use??

I don't have snow shoes yet but was wondering the same thing. What does everyone wear for boots? Anything special?

Last edited: