Votes: 57 45.6%
  • Maybe

Votes: 21 16.8%

• Total voters
OP
S

steffen707

Lil-Rokslider
8.6 Would be cool in a slick, compact bolt rifle like a Ruger American/Ranch.
I love the idea of folding stock, suppressed short barrel that rocks 0-300yards.

I just bought the opposite end of the spectrum 6.8 Grendel ruger American ranch rifle. 16.1" barrel. Super light, no recoil under 300 yards gun. I'd still rather hit a deer with a 338 round though.

OP
S

steffen707

Lil-Rokslider
After reading up on the 375 raptor, I can see why others compare them. 308 case VS 6.5creedmoor case
300yard guns. Shot out of short action. Neat.

After reading up on the 375 raptor, I can see why others compare them. 308 case VS 6.5creedmoor case
300yard guns. Shot out of short action. Neat.
Yeah exactly. Just been out for longer with some load data already. There is dies and barrels you can already order right now, a wide array of available bullets, 308 brass is plentiful and its an even bigger caliber. Fits in ar10 mags and ill be shooting 325-400gr subs and 175-270 supers. All in a lightweight, short, folding stock, hearing safe package. Whats not to like? Lol. In a few years if the 8.6bo takes off it might be sweet too but it just didnt make sense for me to wait for it or settle with what is gonna come out for it right away

There is a video of them making 1000 yd shots with the 8.6, supersonics I believe. They did a lot with really fast twist rates for stabilization out of the shorter barrels.

eric1115

WKR
Full disclosure, I haven't read anything about this yet, but what's this do that a .338 Federal doesn't? We already have a cartridge that needs an AR-10 size mag, shooting a .338 bullet. Shorter case length to seat longer projectiles and faster twist factory barrels? Basically a .260 vs creedmoor deal?

Full disclosure, I haven't read anything about this yet, but what's this do that a .338 Federal doesn't? We already have a cartridge that needs an AR-10 size mag, shooting a .338 bullet. Shorter case length to seat longer projectiles and faster twist factory barrels? Basically a .260 vs creedmoor deal?
Idk about the 8.6bo but if you go to 375raptor.com they explain why they made it instead of choosing to use the 338 fed better than i can

OP
S

steffen707

Lil-Rokslider

"After we did 300 Blackout, Ethan and I did a few guns in .338 Federal, Model 7s…The problem with that is if I want to load a 300-grain subsonic bullet and seat it correctly…you don’t get all the efficiency. So, you’re limited on your subsonic and your big, supersonic bullets.

With that being said, .338 Federal, inside 300 meters is superior to .308. It’s an incredible cartridge. But if you want subsonic capability, and you want to load big, long bullets supersonic and subsonic, and you want to fit them into a magazine, you have got to shorten the case. So, we didn’t do it to be different. We wanted to start with .338 Federal, but you can’t get everything out of it – have full mag capacity, long bullets, have it cycle in a gas gun, and fit into a short actio “n.

Last edited:
I'm guessing the makers of 8.6 thought the twist rate of 375raptor was way too slow.

8.6 has a 1:3 twist
Yeah i noticed that, my raptor will have a 1:8. How far are they claiming this will be effective for hunting big game? I planned to keep it within 300 depending on the load

Not much info is out there on ballistics or performance, but again i hope it takes off it seems like a very cool idea! There is more data on the raptor, its not a ton but at least there is some, plus load data for me to work off. Plenty of successful big game and dangerous game photos taken with the 375 raptor on 375raptor.com. The guy from black collar killed an aoudad at 300 yards with 235gr speer supersonic from a 12" barrel and got a full pass through, DRT. In his SBD the 400gr subs are shooting 1moa and like .5moa with supers and it'll kill deer with subs out to 200. He told me with supers its good for anything cape buffalo size and down to 200 yards and elk size and down to 300 if i do my part, all while being insanely quiet. Sounded perfect to me

I pulled this from the link you nust posted and it pretty much answered my question as to why this over the raptor and makes perfect sense to me. I will be tinkering/ loading myself and i want a bolt gun anyway so im still happy with my choice:
People ask about 375 Raptor…it does not work full mag capacity in a gas gun super and subsonic. You can’t feed it in an AR reliably. It may be enough for people who tinker or are not serious about it, but it could never be a military cartridge. We’re trying to cover as much as we can with this.

OP
S

steffen707

Lil-Rokslider
Not much info is out there on ballistics or performance, but again i hope it takes off it seems like a very cool idea! There is more data on the raptor, its not a ton but at least there is some, plus load data for me to work off. Plenty of successful big game and dangerous game photos taken with the 375 raptor on 375raptor.com. The guy from black collar killed an aoudad at 300 yards with 235gr speer supersonic from a 12" barrel and got a full pass through, DRT. In his SBD the 400gr subs are shooting 1moa and like .5moa with supers and it'll kill deer with subs out to 200. He told me with supers its good for anything cape buffalo size and down to 200 yards and elk size and down to 300 if i do my part, all while being insanely quiet. Sounded perfect to me

I pulled this from the link you nust posted and it pretty much answered my question as to why this over the raptor and makes perfect sense to me. I will be tinkering/ loading myself and i want a bolt gun anyway so im still happy with my choice:
People ask about 375 Raptor…it does not work full mag capacity in a gas gun super and subsonic. You can’t feed it in an AR reliably. It may be enough for people who tinker or are not serious about it, but it could never be a military cartridge. We’re trying to cover as much as we can with this.
What's the 375raptor coal?

What's the 375raptor coal?
Looks like these guys were loading it from about 2.58-2.8" depending on the load and rifle. It fits in ar10 pmags you just have to modify them slightly with a flat file, which looks simple to do. That quote from q is the first ive heard it mentioned that its not being possible to cycle in a gas gun before, it sounds like people are using it in gas guns with a simple barrel swap and tuning and killing brown bears and stuff already 🤷‍♂️

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220120-203451_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20220120-203451_Samsung Internet.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 39
  • Screenshot_20220120-203419_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20220120-203419_Samsung Internet.jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 38
  • Screenshot_20220120-204236_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220120-204236_Chrome.jpg
    250.8 KB · Views: 42
  • Screenshot_20220120-204254_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220120-204254_Chrome.jpg
    194 KB · Views: 42
Looks like these guys were loading it from about 2.58-2.8" depending on the load and rifle. It fits in ar10 pmags you just have to modify them slightly with a flat file, which looks simple to do. That quote from q is the first ive heard it mentioned that its not being possible to cycle in a gas gun before, it sounds like people are using it in gas guns with a simple barrel swap and tuning and killing brown bears and stuff already 🤷‍♂️
The issue about being able to use in a gas gun was with the 338 Federal. I will pull info that I can find from Q, LLC up tomorrow.

The issue about being able to use in a gas gun was with the 338 Federal. I will pull info that I can find from Q, LLC up tomorrow.
This is straight from the interview with the guy from q tho: "People ask about 375 Raptor…it does not work full mag capacity in a gas gun super and subsonic. You can’t feed it in an AR reliably"

Maybe its the "full capacity" part tho? The military point i can see. Idk lol the 375 seems like plenty gun for me tho, i dont plan to shoot anything bigger than a moose or a brown bear, should i be so lucky to hunt them. I really do wish them the best with this but people have been waiting for 4 years for the 8.6bo already, i just didn't wanna wait 4 more for it to catch on and have components, other rifle options, dies and data available when the raptor is already such a similar already viable option

z987k

WKR
I rather like my 400 grain 44 mag subs out of a lever gun. With subsonic, it's all about weight, since everything is moving at the same just subsonic speed. That means the heavier the better.

A sub 45 or 50 would be even better. Something like a 600gr 45/70 at 1000fps. Build a non-tubular magazine to have better bullets for distance.

m59/80

FNG
When marketing 8,6 CR people have claimed that 375 Raptor is not capable to be loaded with very heavy bullets for subsonic loads, Allso have seen claims that it's not working properly in a gas gun. This must be somekind of false fact marketing or something related, because these are just the strengths of the 375 Raptor. I have a 375 Raptor AR-10 with 37 cm barrel. It works really nice with 200 gr GS Custom copper bullets, muzzle velocity easily 745 m/s with moderate pressure, a bit hot loads and velocity is 765 m/s. No problems with a comp or a silencer, just must adjust the gasport between the configurations. 235 gr Speers achieve easily 660 m/s from my gun's short barrel at finnish hunting season temperatures around zero Celcius. The caliber takes 350 gr Sierra MK and 400gr Maker bullets for subsonic loads, COL suitable for AR-10 mag's. So, can't see any advantage in a gas gun to swap from 9,5mm to 8,6 mm in most practical hunting situations, if intention is just to make large pass through wound channel and/or transfer energy to the target.

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2021-11-11 at 11.36.27.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2021-11-11 at 11.36.27.jpeg
    384 KB · Views: 23
Last edited: