Who's Moose Hunting Alaska 2022?!?

Honestly I’m very lucky, one of my really good friends, from way back; completely planned the trip as far as the trip and logistics. His hard work planning allows me the luxury of not paying nearly as much attention as I normally would need to . I know we’re going by boat up the river that flows into the Yukon by St. Mary’s a long ways. I don’t know the guides name or what his operation is called. Planning, getting gear ready, and training has been great and a major stress relief for me.
I am doing a DIY out of St Mary’s. I have never been there and am trying to get my gear together. What is your guide telling you as far as terrain goes? Is it pretty swampy? Just trying to figure out my boot/rain gear /wader situation :)

Fugitive

FNG
I am doing a DIY out of St Mary’s. I have never been there and am trying to get my gear together. What is your guide telling you as far as terrain goes? Is it pretty swampy? Just trying to figure out my boot/rain gear /wader situation :)
When we were planning on our gear purchases, my partner contacted the guide to ask about waders and was told that we wouldn't be hunting in water, to only plan on very limited wader use if any.
Are you going this year or next?

When we were planning on our gear purchases, my partner contacted the guide to ask about waders and was told that we wouldn't be hunting in water, to only plan on very limited wader use if any.
Are you going this year or next?
This year - the 15th-25th. Hunting out of a boat. Did the guide say anything about it being swampy? Like muck boots terrain, or regular hunting boots terrain?

Fugitive

FNG
This year - the 15th-25th. Hunting out of a boat. Did the guide say anything about it being swampy? Like muck boots terrain, or regular hunting boots terrain?
I'm paraphrasing a little but, looking at the messages, my friend asked "are we living in our waders or do you wear them much moose hunting?" the response was "boots and rain pants when it's wet, bring waders just in case." Followed by "we will be land hunting"

Alaskan89

Lil-Rokslider
Got on the books a year and a half ago for 2024 with Larry Bartlett handling the logistics. The wait is killing me… 👊👊👊
You can bet on it being a good hunt if you do your part, I've done several hunts with Larry and have always enjoyed it immensely, Larry knows his shit.

I'm headed back to moose camp on the 6th through the 15th, it's my favorite time of the year.

AFSmude

FNG
I'm so pumped up...we are booked on our float plane out the AK Peninsula. Flying out the 31st of Aug to the 25th of Sept. Most time I've taken off work in one setting for decades. Just planning to camp for 10 days before the real hunting begins. Super excited that they extended the season a bit to actually get into the heart of the rut. Can't wait to see how those bulls react that late in the season.

mobilefamily

Lil-Rokslider
Just shipped 2 boxes totaling 52# from TX to Alaska yesterday. Don't trust USPS so went with UPS, which was very expensive, over $300. More expensive than checking extra baggage but saves trouble in the airports. Should arrive next week so I'll have time to replace it all if they get lost.

Tip: I took a photo of everything that went in every box. This helps with replacement in an emergency. I also save these pics as a "photo gear list" so I can look back when planning the next trip.

16B any bull tag. First time moose hunter. Hopefully will be successful, but the population is concerning. Locals have expressed concern over the lack of bulls over the past winter. Pretty scarce, I’m really surprised the ADFG had an any-bull draw this year.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
The separate populations in the Alaska Range, Copper River Basin, Wrangell Mountains, Forty Mile, Chugach Mountains, Talkeetna Mountains, and Kenai Peninsula all got hammered last winter. We won't know the extent until we do our aerial composition counts this coming November/December.
Who is “we”??? You, (Rob hardy) have nothing to do with any of the surveys conducted by ADFG.

z987k

WKR
16B any bull tag. First time moose hunter. Hopefully will be successful, but the population is concerning. Locals have expressed concern over the lack of bulls over the past winter. Pretty scarce, I’m really surprised the ADFG had an any-bull draw this year.
Plenty of bulls in 16B. I can't say you'll find them off the 4 wheeler trails, but 16B is quite big and I see bulls every day I fly over that. If you have a any bull tag, chance of success should be really high.
Unless you're hunting for antlers, then maybe not. But if you're a meat hunter, remember, if you'd shoot it on the last day, shoot it on the first day.

Plenty of bulls in 16B. I can't say you'll find them off the 4 wheeler trails, but 16B is quite big and I see bulls every day I fly over that. If you have a any bull tag, chance of success should be really high.
Unless you're hunting for antlers, then maybe not. But if you're a meat hunter, remember, if you'd shoot it on the last day, shoot it on the first day.
I will be upriver in the northern part of 16B. I will be meat hunting.
Big antlers would be great, but I will be sharing meat with the local residents so edible more important. There are a couple of senior residents that could use the meat. They don’t quite qualify for proxy but have a hard time getting out to hunt.

roymunson

WKR
about time for some of you guys to head that way. I'm looking to see pack lists and hopefully some in the field pics.

fellerr

Lil-Rokslider
My dad had to have a toilet lid to use on our trip. Not going to lie …it was pretty convenient! Haha

Already planning our return trip for 2023. Good luck to all this year!

bmrfish

WKR
My dad had to have a toilet lid to use on our trip. Not going to lie …it was pretty convenient! Haha

Already planning our return trip for 2023. Good luck to all this year!

No lid but we started taking a seat with folding legs last year. It is going back again this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yall are killing me! I just moved to Anchorage a week ago and I'm trying to figure out a way to hunt this year. I drove around base 2 nights ago counted 19 moose! All cows and one very small bull.
20220823_121852.jpgthis was out of my bedroom window.