Why every liberal millennial.......

ODB

WKR
Funny, as Orwell is known for making up meaningless terms such as 'doublethink' and 'unperson.'

Note, I have no problem with the creation of terms to fill a void. However, when a person can't hold to their own prescriptions, it does give cause to question.

Also, what exactly is a "post-modern critique teacher" this is dangerously close to "words that are absolutely meaningless to convey ideas (one) can't explain without them." The same can be said for your earlier redefining of millennial from a generation, to a style of acting. Something that is not supported by common definitions, nor by how it is being used, and is a circular idea that makes the word meaningless.

If you’d read the essay you’d find out that Orwell’s dislike of meaningless words did not include literary writing, in which of course your examples fit. “Post-modern critique teacher” are all words found in the dictionary, as is Millenial. In other words, these words are not meaningless, i.e. lacking definition beyond a very realm of ideology or study. You would be tempted to say the esoteric terms found in a field of study, medicine let’s say, could qualify as meaningless, but that’s simply jargon, and are all definable.

go read the essay.

Poser

WKR
3a88bc353906fb13843c546989c64e45.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Agree, we’re all being pretentious pricks...but what else do we have to do?

Yes, that's a stereotype of the "human" category.

I never really see many guys of any age in jean shorts. I've never been a fan of those, personally. The biggest one I've seen over the years is the old guys wearing sneakers, black socks almost to their knees, and shorts pulled up to their rib cage. I told my kids to have me committed if they ever see me dressing like that. But hey, it's their life........they can dress as they please. And we can ridicule as we please as well. :) I'm sure my kids aren't keen on my ragged torn up shorts that I wear either. And I refuse to tuck a shirt into shorts......even if I wasn't carrying.

Last edited:
Reactions: ODB

ODB

WKR
By the way - a perfect contemporary example of a meaningless word. She uses the word (a phrase) and infers that it’s meaning is clear to those “in the know,” and also uses it as a sort of litmus test to segregate those in or out of “the know.” (Also known as “othering”) When asked to define the phrase, she simply can’t or won’t. As if putting a fine point on it would weaken it. This is common when people use big (or meaningless) words in the company of people they know don’t understand them. They wield them like swords against their perceived enemy to diminish the threat of themselves being exposed as a fraud.

1D6ECE21-D754-4461-B8C6-E023840FBB22.jpeg

what in the flippin frack?

people really are taking this "I identify as..." a bit too far these days. I guess that's what happens when a society has so many of it's daily needs met, that it has time to let the mind wander into unproductive and pointless exercises.

Some days I think back to when my family was just working all day every day to make ends meet (and failing most days) and we never had time or energy to worry about who we identified as. I guess we just identified as "tired and broke" back then, and I knew a whole lot of "tired and broke" folks around us of lots of different skin colors.

I really think folks got along better in the 70's than they do today. We have been going backwards for the past 30 years.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
What she's describing is exactly why Biden's comments were so offensive. She's saying that being born black is what it is........and Biden is saying "being politically black is what it is.......because that means you vote for the Democrat because you personally expect to get something in return for that". That's why the Dems are so intent on keeping the illegals, saying that they support the LGBTQZTR community, giving away free healthcare, giving away free college, etc, etc.......just to "get their votes". Whereas the conservative candidate will strive to do what's best for the nation "as a whole" instead of providing special treatment for special groups to keep their votes. Man, it would be nice if we could ever put a conservative in office.

ODB

WKR
What she's describing is exactly why Biden's comments were so offensive. She's saying that being born black is what it is........and Biden is saying "being politically black is what it is.......because that means you vote for the Democrat because you personally expect to get something in return for that". That's why the Dems are so intent on keeping the illegals, saying that they support the LGBTQZTR community, giving away free healthcare, giving away free college, etc, etc.......just to "get their votes". Whereas the conservative candidate will strive to do what's best for the nation "as a whole" instead of providing special treatment for special groups to keep their votes. Man, it would be nice if we could ever put a conservative in office.

Zuby absolutely nailed the Biden thing in this tweet:

Poser

WKR
what in the flippin frack?

people really are taking this "I identify as..." a bit too far these days. I guess that's what happens when a society has so many of it's daily needs met, that it has time to let the mind wander into unproductive and pointless exercises.

Some days I think back to when my family was just working all day every day to make ends meet (and failing most days) and we never had time or energy to worry about who we identified as. I guess we just identified as "tired and broke" back then, and I knew a whole lot of "tired and broke" folks around us of lots of different skin colors.

I really think folks got along better in the 70's than they do today. We have been going backwards for the past 30 years.

In the 70s, you didn’t have the cross intersection of American subcultures like exists today on social media. It’s not that folks “got along better”, it’s that you were less likely to encounter perspectives that were vastly different than your own

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
By the way - a perfect contemporary example of a meaningless word. She uses the word (a phrase) and infers that it’s meaning is clear to those “in the know,” and also uses it as a sort of litmus test to segregate those in or out of “the know.” (Also known as “othering”) When asked to define the phrase, she simply can’t or won’t. As if putting a fine point on it would weaken it. This is common when people use big (or meaningless) words in the company of people they know don’t understand them. They wield them like swords against their perceived enemy to diminish the threat of themselves being exposed as a fraud.

View attachment 183697

Quite the red herring considering the initial context your comments about not using big words came up in. People are just is capable of failing to know what they are saying or being unable to support their ideas when they use only small words. The redefining of a phrase (in this case a string of well known words) to being a word is an example of shoddy communication (and perhaps even the very thing you are complaining about above). Idea is also a small word that would be more accurate here. In this case she is using a nebulous idea both as a weapon and a shield (which is pretty pathetic) but she uses no big words as such.

Once again, words having meaning and that meaning does not shift with an individuals whims. As for wielding things like swords, is that not what you where doing when you opted to assault my style of writing rather than address the content of that writing? Even though your own, latter, defense applied.
all words found in the dictionary,... In other words, these words are not meaningless, i.e. lacking definition beyond a very realm of ideology or study.

Go read the essay.

As for the essay, are you unable to clearly articulate the ideas yourself? I have always preferred to argue my own points, and cite those who have contributed to my ideas. I find every time I'm unable to do so it is because I lack a full understanding of the idea. Making myself support it in my own words forces me to refine that understanding. It also prevents me using a snowstorm of others writing to distract from the conversation at had.

ODB

WKR
Quite the red herring considering the initial context your comments about not using big words came up in. People are just is capable of failing to know what they are saying or being unable to support their ideas when they use only small words. The redefining of a phrase (in this case a string of well known words) to being a word is an example of shoddy communication (and perhaps even the very thing you are complaining about above). Idea is also a small word that would be more accurate here. In this case she is using a nebulous idea both as a weapon and a shield (which is pretty pathetic) but she uses no big words as such.

Once again, words having meaning and that meaning does not shift with an individuals whims. As for wielding things like swords, is that not what you where doing when you opted to assault my style of writing rather than address the content of that writing? Even though your own, latter, defense applied.

As for the essay, are you unable to clearly articulate the ideas yourself? I have always preferred to argue my own points, and cite those who have contributed to my ideas. I find every time I'm unable to do so it is because I lack a full understanding of the idea. Making myself support it in my own words forces me to refine that understanding. It also prevents me using a snowstorm of others writing to distract from the conversation at had.

You are officially boring me now.

When other people recommend a book to you, do you just ask them to explain it to you in their own words? I hope not.

don’t make the mistake of thinking because I refer to a text I lack my own ideas. Simply offering a respected essay to people who might be interested.

Mosster47

Lil-Rokslider
All I can say is i’m extremely happy smart phones weren’t around when I was young. Might as well feed your kid weed if they’re in front of a screen all day. I see 5 yr olds buried in they’re phones and it makes me very sad.
Just because someone isn't doing something the way you do/did things doesn't mean they are wrong or your way was/is better.

Someone two generations ago probably said running water made kids soft and lazy.

In the 70s, you didn’t have the cross intersection of American subcultures like exists today on social media. It’s not that folks “got along better”, it’s that you were less likely to encounter perspectives that were vastly different than your own
You don't understand the neighborhoods I grew up in then. In many towns in Texas, in the poor parts of town, you had blacks, hispanics and yes, whites, all living on the same street. I encountered this in a number of towns I lived in and we were the poor whites on the wrong side of the tracks, and guess what? We all got along fine, played pick-up ball on the spare lots, raced our bikes and went to the fried chicken place with a buck to see what we could get. The blacks called me names, we called them names and the hispanics told us how dumb we both were. LOL And then we all had a good laugh and walked home in 105 degree heat and thought nothing of it.

That's the society I grew up in and in many, many ways, it was more tolerant than what I see today.