Wood Pellet Conversion for Wall Tent Stove????

duck

FNG
That thing looks cool, wonder if a longer pipe on a wood pellet products patio heater would work in a wall tent.

Elk2008

Lil-Rokslider
We tried a similar pellet stove for several years. Not the same brand as yours. Ours was junk, even had it rebuilt by manufacturer. Tried several different pellets over the years and just would not get hot enough. At time could touch stove with your hand.

I’ve been running one of these for 4 years now. The original design worked ok but as others have indicated there are issues adjusting the feed rate so as not to be to hot or to cold. I made a sealed stove and welded in a modified feed ramp into mine and now I can keep my 12x17 tent anywhere from 58-90 degrees depending on which daughter decides to move the slider. The keg is my pellet stove and is stainless steel.
Will you let me know what I am looking at? I’m intrigued. Sealed? Keg? Pellets? Looks amazing.

Lwilliams

Lil-Rokslider
Will you let me know what I am looking at? I’m intrigued. Sealed? Keg? Pellets? Looks amazing.
Yes, sealed keg helps draw better for better burn. Pellet stove adapter with modified feed plate. I can get better pics once I get back to camp if interested.

Pelagic

Lil-Rokslider
I stumbled back on this thread after having been opened up to the idea of pellet burning stoves from it about a year ago.

So decided to call Cylinder stoves to see if they knew when they'd be back in stock and the lady told me they do have about 6 of them available (well maybe 5 now) that they just made. Not listed on the site because of the low inventory. Call up and order 'em over the phone guys!

It is pricier than I expected but after seeing @ntrlbrnhunter 's experience with it here, I hope I'll get many warm nights out of it.

OP
Travis Hobbs
That’s great!!! What do they have them listed at as far as price??? Mine continues to be rock solid and burning great, got it super dialed in!!

I have learned pellet storage and where they are stored might have more to a quality burn than I ever thought.

Pelagic

Lil-Rokslider
What do they have them listed at as far as price???
$419 I think it was, just for the hopper setup. They had to increase the price due to the cost of steel going up.

Now I just have to find who stocks the lignetics pellets in my area, so far not having luck. If anybody has had good results with this hopper on another brand of pellets, post it up here. Maybe we can get a few different options.

pellet storage and where they are stored might have more to a quality burn than I ever thought.
Yeah, I was thinking of storing a couple bags in an open tote to let them air out just in case they did get damp at some point. You think that has more to do with it than the brand - whether they get wet?

OP
Travis Hobbs
I have tried a couple different brands this season, one from our local Ace Hardware, (they stopped selling lignetic brand 😭) and another from Tractor Supply. I think I burned the stove for almost 14 nights so far this season, got 7 more nights coming up at higher elevations, I’ll be sure to report on how it goes. So far they have seemed to burn pretty good. Better if i clean the feed once or twice at nights (it takes seconds).

I think when you buy pellets, pay very close attention to how they are kept at the store. Many of these hardware stores are storing them outside, usually in shrink wrapped pallets. However, sometimes these pallets get opened, a guy takes a couple bags and the remaining bags sit on a pallet outside in the elements, soaking up moisture and even worse the condensation….not good!! You might come a couple days later after some sunshine and notice nothing….however damage has been done. I discovered this the hard way last season.

Those same pellets I bought last year, that wouldn’t burn, sat in my shop all summer and burned like a million bucks this fall.

Lesson learned.

HvyBeams

Lil-Rokslider
We bought a Cylinder Pellet Stove this year based upon this thread. I was on a waiting list since Covid, and they finally went back into production. We used it on a 3rd season in Colorado deer hunt. Here's a short review:

During the 10 nights we spent on the trip the temps were negative or in the single digits. The highest temps got during the day was mid 20s. My parents accompanied me on the hunt. They are in their seventies and appreciated the heat all night long. We normally use a 5th wheel, but that wasn't happening in the units I was hunting. The last time we used the wall tent it was extremely cold during a late season elk hunt in Wyoming. During that hunt, the wood stove wouldn't burn all night and it was miserable. Nobody wanted to get up in the middle of the night to put wood in the stove, which made for extremely cold mornings waiting for the stove to heat up. All of that misery was gone using this pellet stove. Boots and gloves were warm in the morning and the coffee perked faster.

I was hoping our tent would be so warm we could be wearing t-shirts. It never got to that, but maybe that was due to the outside temps and elevation (9047 feet). I would guess our stove kept the tent in the upper 30s to 40 degrees during the night. We found having a fan on top of the stove helped circulate the warm air and would recommend one.

Our neighbors were cutting/splitting wood every day. It was great not to have to do extra work during the day, which allowed us to hunt harder IMO.

The last night we were there it got pretty cold. I would guess -15 to -20 as our diesel truck slightly gelled up. It was also the only night our water slightly froze inside the tent. That night we almost went through 40 pounds of pellets. Most nights the hopper was 1/2 full when we woke up. The fact that we had so much left most nights was concerning like our stove was not burning correctly. We would go to bed around 8:30 p.m. and wake up at 4:30 a.m. to 5 a.m.

Overall, I think it was worth the money and would recommend it. Especially, if you hate cutting/splitting wood in frigid temps, waking up in the middle of the night multiple times to feed a wood stove, and would rather have a relatively warm tent the entire hunt.

@ntrlbrnhunter - One thing I was curious about was if the metal ring where the hopper connects was welded all away around? I noticed ours was only sealed 3/4. I could see flame through the ring just below where the heat shield covered. I'm not sure if it is designed that way for airflow or a mistake by the builder. I planned on contacting Cylinder Stoves, but their website isn't working this morning.

The only time the stove wasn't burning during the 10 days we were there was one we broke it down to clean the feeder. We felt like the pellets weren't dropping like they should. We found some creosote build-up on the feeding ramp. It burned better after we cleaned it, which leads me to my next question. Could you give me a rundown on how you clean your stove? We lost the small wire that came with the stove. We moved the ash away from the back of the stove once a day. We noticed your stove roared in the video you made. The only time ours came close to such performance was after we cleaned it. Even then, I doubt it burned like yours did. Maybe a pellet issue?

On a side note, Murdoch's sell Lignetics. We used a different brand during our hunt, but we will be trying Lignetics in the future.

Last edited:

Wrench

WKR
Weight for weight, I have to think a diesel heater would be easier and more dependable.

Pelagic

Lil-Rokslider
I would guess our stove kept the tent in the upper 30s to 40 degrees during the night. We found having a fan on

I know you had low temps outside, but 30-40 degrees max temp in the tent at night seems low. Was this as high as the temps got in the evenings and mornings too? Would be interesting to know how different pellets would work in that scenario.

OP
Travis Hobbs
@HvyBeams great write up!

Can you send me a picture on that weld? I’m pretty sure mine is completely welded.

On cleaning- I use a small wire brush, think slightly bigger than a tooth brush in size. To clean, I shut down the feed, then dump extra pellets into a 5 gallon bucket. I disassemble feed and wire brush everything. Roughly takes 5 minutes.

During burn, I will occasionally “slam” feed shut, then fully open it right away, this cleans a lot of the ash build up. Doesn’t need re-lit.

I too was in Colorado for 3rd season and tried a couple of new brands of pellets, with mixed results. Nothing still compares to the lignetics. Lignetics burn hot, and throw a giant flame, burn super clean. I will say though, The more brands I try, the more I believe it’s more how these pellets are stored. Most of these pellets are leaving creosote… that to me says they are green/wet.

Two years ago, in Colorado, camped at the exact location, with lignetic pellets, we would literally be roasted out of tent. Stove pipe was super clean, no build up…. The feed had to be turned down. This year, I left feed wide open, and never felt “hot” it was comfortable, but never roasted out of the tent.

I have saved three different brands that im going to put in my shop. Let them season so to speak… See how they do next year. I think they will burn waaaaaay better.

z987k

WKR
Weight for weight, I have to think a diesel heater would be easier and more dependable.

Please let me know of a diesel heater that’s safe to use all night in a tent! I’m all in!
This is what I'm looking at running next year after fighting a wood stove all night every night.

.035gal/hr
40lbs of diesel(6gal) would last you 3 weeks at 8hrs a night.

If you have access to electricity, or can even charge a small battery every day, one of these would be the easy button. https://www.amazon.com/HCALORY-5KW-8KW-Portable-Convenient-Integrated/dp/B0B42T3F6B/ref=sr_1_8?keywords=diesel+heater&qid=1669113856&sr=8-8&ufe=app_do:amzn1.fos.18ed3cb5-28d5-4975-8bc7-93deae8f9840
There's about 1000 versions of that thing coming out of china.
Depending on the electrical power consumption, you might be able to get away with solar charging the battery.

Last edited:

Wrench

WKR
This is what I'm looking at running next year after fighting a wood stove all night every night.

.035gal/hr
40lbs of diesel(6gal) would last you 3 weeks at 8hrs a night.

If you have access to electricity, or can even charge a small battery every day, one of these would be the easy button. https://www.amazon.com/HCALORY-5KW-8KW-Portable-Convenient-Integrated/dp/B0B42T3F6B/ref=sr_1_8?keywords=diesel+heater&qid=1669113856&sr=8-8&ufe=app_do:amzn1.fos.18ed3cb5-28d5-4975-8bc7-93deae8f9840
There's about 1000 versions of that thing coming out of china.
Depending on the electrical power consumption, you might be able to get away with solar charging the battery.
This is what I was thinking of. I used the webasto and espar versions in prudhoe bay to keep our box vans warm in some unbelievably cold temps.

z987k

WKR
This is what I was thinking of. I used the webasto and espar versions in prudhoe bay to keep our box vans warm in some unbelievably cold temps.
Ya, that amazon link is to a Chinese ripoff of a webasto/espar. The webasto works really well on a tiny amount of fuel.