Would you rather

Have a new Montana Rifle Co. X3 or a new Winchester EWSS. Not that it matters much but chambered in 30-06, for Deer and Elk.

MThuntr

WKR
Has Montana Rifle Co resolved their customer service and quality control? I haven't bothered to look lately but MRC has had their fair share of bad press so I'd make sure they've gotten past that issue before considering one.

OP
N
With MRC being recently bought out by MT Outdoor Group, I’d be a little hesitant to see if anything negative (or positive) happens to QA/QC and/or customer service.

Meaning you think that it will have a positive long term outlook?

The longer story to this is I ordered a MRC a little over a year ago. They said it would be in mid summer, never showed. And it didn't show up before hunting season. Then I got a call today saying it was in. Having already written this gun off in fall, I was looking at other options and landed on the EW. So I was trying to get a feel from some other folks to which they prefer and the like. And as everyone knows MRC's CS/QC is not the best. With them it seems like a flip of the coin you get a tac driver or it is a slow, annoying process dealing with them. I have no money down on the gun, so I could go either way on it...

slowelk

WKR
I wouldn't touch a MRC with a 10' pole. Shit company, shit product. Buyout considered, I wouldn't bother. Better rifles can be had for less.

OP
N
Honest Answer: I have no idea

Speculation: an investment group acquires a company to make money, which could mean increased volume of product without corresponding personnel increases, and QA/QC suffers.

If your rifle just got finished, it may have been manufactured during the transition period?

Yeah, thats what I am weary of, and for that kind of coin that shouldn't be part of the equation. I am thinking that the EW is the safe bet. Haven't heard a bad thing about it.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
About 2 years ago now, I wanted an all around 30-06, it was one spot my rifle quiver was missing, I had dangerous game rifles, long range rifle and mountain rifles but I didn't have an all around 30-06.

I narrowed the choices down to an x2 and a m70 EWSS. I was able to handle both and shoot both, I liked the Winchester better, it just seemed like a better built rifle than the montana, I then read some of the horror stories about Montana quality and customer service PLUS....I was quoted a wait of several months for the Montana X2.

I got the winchester 70 extreme weather and I've never second guessed my decision, its an awesome rifle, lots of cool features, jewelled bolt, fluted barrel, recessed crown, I actually like the bell and carlson stock. With talley lightweights and a meopta meopro 3-9 its right on the nose of 8lbs which is fine for what it is.

I've also found my EWSS to be among the least ammo sensative of any of the guns I've owned, it shoots pretty much everything more than well enough for my purposes.

For what I was wanting the rifle for I honestly can't think of anything better out there in the price range. I'll add that I put a Timney trigger in mine, not because I hated the factory trigger but because I had the timney sitting in a box of parts.

OP
N
I'd look at a Fieldcraft personally

Definitely a slick gun, but too light for what I am looking for in this gun. Thats why I am not really looking at the Kimber Montana. I want to be around 8 lbs all up. Never had one, but a 3 position safety and CRF also is really speaking to me.

thinhorn_AK - You are describing what I am after. A gun that will shoot just about any weight or style far or close, travel well but I think I will opt for a Vortex Razor HD LH 2-10 (open to suggestions here).

Well looks like you guys are voicing all my internal concerns with MRC. Making it an easy task. Thanks!

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Definitely a slick gun, but too light for what I am looking for in this gun. Thats why I am not really looking at the Kimber Montana. I want to be around 8 lbs all up. Never had one, but a 3 position safety and CRF also is really speaking to me.

thinhorn_AK - You are describing what I am after. A gun that will shoot just about any weight or style far or close, travel well but I think I will opt for a Vortex Razor HD LH 2-10 (open to suggestions here).

Well looks like you guys are voicing all my internal concerns with MRC. Making it an easy task. Thanks!

It is an awesome rifle, I’ve taken moose 2 years in a row with it as well as 6 caribou since I got it. I really like the meopta scooe, I wanted a simple but high quality 3-9 for the rifle and found a good deal on the meopta. I’ve never really used it as a long range rifle but I’ve shot steel at 500 with it. It will be going for moose and caribou again this year.